cd

Hi all,

i was wondering: how do you go about re-using a thought with a specific type and note as a template?

What I'm trying to do: Have a thought called "Callprotocol" under e.g. a PIN "useful thoughts to copy" and whenever i call a contact i want to create a new childthought using a copy of that thought. The new thought would be called "Date/Time stamp: Call" for e.g. and share "Callprotocol"'s type and original notetext (e.g. a table with number/subject/name/etc info).

I don't want the thought to be linked to "Callprotocol" or the like...

Right now, it's a bit of a mess, i first activate the pin "useful thoughts to copy", copy the thought "Callprotocol", activate the parent (e.g. a company), paste in the copied thought and take out the link back to Callprotocol...

Any suggestions ho to best do this? 

Thanks!
Greetings all
Chris

-- 9.0.250.0 (9.0.250.0) on Mac OS X 10.12.6
   Old enough to remember Natrificial times...
mcaton
Chris,

It sounds like you have a nice set up with your 'Useful Thoughts to Copy' pin.  It may be just a bit easier (or save you a few extra seconds at least) to use the 'Create Duplicate Child Thought' option on your CallProtoCol thought.  Then just rename and link the new child thought appropriately.

Thank you,
Matt
zenrain
Just to add a bit to Matt's suggestion:
1. Go to the thought you wish to use as the parent.
2. Now go to the thought you want to duplicate and right-click, duplicate it and modify the date.
3. A duplicate child thought will be created. Active that thought. 4. Now hold down the shift button as you drag a link from the duplicate thought's gate parent to the parent thought you wish to attach it to in the past thought list at the bottom.

This will unlink the duplicate thought from the original, and attach it to the new parent in one action.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
cd

Matt, zenrain,

thanks for the suggestions. this is what i was looking for. And since i can make use of sorting by date, no need to rename. great!

Thanks
chris

cd

Hi again,

reactivating this old thread since i've come up with a better solution that i simply must share:

I have created a text-file containing an exact copy of each template thought i often need (right-clicking them, choosing copy, then pasting w/i a text editor, replacing guids _consistently_ with temporal guids (preface with '!')). I have then created created a clip set with CopyPaste Pro for mac ( http://www.scriptsoftware.com/copypaste/ ) that contains the xml from the text files of every thought mapped to Command-V-[1-9]. I'm sure you can use sth else but since i'm new to mac, this works for me.

Whenever i need to add a specific thought template, i active the future parent-thought, hit Command-V-number where number corresponds to e.g. the Book-Xml stored in CopyPaste Pro. This gets pasted into the Find-Window but i do this simply to get the xml into the clipboard. Then choose Edit->Insert Thought and voila.

What would be really cool now, if CopyPaste Pro could filter the xml before copying to the clipboard, manipulating placeholders for e.g. dates, that would be great. Imagine hitting Command-V-2 and automagically inserting a child-node called "Calling protocol 2010-02-17 22:28" into the plex that has a pre-filled-in notes-section underneath the active thought (this last part works, but right now i have to rename the thought adding the date-part to it). If you know of a tool that can do regex replacements on clipbaord data, let me know.

Thought i'd share this since i felt it was a time waste to activate a thought, choose duplicate, active that and shift-dragging its parent node to the new parent while having needed to have activated the new parent in the first place. This feels a lot smoother.

Ah yes: Beware! Copy pasting xml (epecially manipulated xml) may cause erratic behavior in PB. Test and re-test and backup before trying anything. Also: you may want to reduce the thoughts xml to a minimum. Refer to PB's DTD or threads in the 3rd Party Apps, Tools, and XML-Forum on what goes and what doesn't. This works for me, but ymmw.

[EDIT: 2010-02-17: 22:53 Wow, just figured out that there's pbcopy and pbpaste on the mac. Going to rewrite this w/o CopyPaste Pro just using a keyboard shortcut to run a shell script that will replace a placeholder w/ the current date, yahooo. Will post someday soon.]

Cheers

Chris

cd

Ok, this is how to do it i guess.

Have a text-file with the xml you want to insert (aka "the frequently recurring thought template w/ notes/ tags/ types/ ...) called file.xml e.g.

In the xml I include a placeholder such as __TIMESTAMP__ where it suits me (here: w/i the thought's <name>-pair attribute and at other strategic places, e.g. (beware, don't use, just for demo!:

Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE BrainData SYSTEM "http://www.thebrain.com/dtd/BrainData1.dtd">
<BrainData>
<Source>
  <guid>YOUR-BRAINS-GUID-HERE</guid>
  <name>Your Brain Name Here</name>
<personalBrainVersion>5522</personalBrainVersion>
  <fileRoot>/Users/c/Documents/Brains/your_Brain_Name_here_brain/Files</fileRoot>
<timeCopied>2010-02-17 20:54:42.749</timeCopied>
</Source>
  <Attributes /><Thoughts>
<Thought>
<guid>!new</guid>
  <name>Protokoll: Anruf am __TIMESTAMP__</name>
<label></label>
  <creationDateTime>__TIMESTAMP__.111</creationDateTime>
  <realModificationDateTime>__TIMESTAMP__.873</realModificationDateTime>
  <displayModificationDateTime>__TIMESTAMP__.175</displayModificationDateTime>
  <activationDateTime>__TIMESTAMP__.002</activationDateTime>
  <linksModificationDateTime>__TIMESTAMP__.135</linksModificationDateTime>
<isType>0</isType>
<color>0</color>
<accessControlType>0</accessControlType>
</Thought>
</Thoughts>
<Links>
</Links>
<AttributeDatas/>
<Entries>
<Entry>
<guid>!Onew</guid>
<EntryObjects>
<EntryObject>
<objectType>0</objectType>
<objectID>!new</objectID>
</EntryObject>
</EntryObjects>
<body>&amp;lt;!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC &amp;quot;-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN&amp;quot; &amp;quot;http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd&amp;quot;&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;html xmlns=&amp;quot;http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml&amp;quot;&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;head&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;meta name=&amp;quot;generator&amp;quot; content=&amp;quot;EditLive! 7.0.1.15&amp;quot; /&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;meta name=&amp;quot;generator&amp;quot; content=&amp;quot;PersonalBrain 5.5.2.0&amp;quot; /&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;meta content=&amp;quot;text/html; charset=UTF-8&amp;quot; http-equiv=&amp;quot;Content-Type&amp;quot; /&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;style type=&amp;quot;text/css&amp;quot;&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;!--
body {
color: #000000; background: #ffffff; font-size: small; font-family: Arial;
}
p {
margin-bottom: 0pt; margin-top: 0pt;
}
--&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/style&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/head&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;body&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;&amp;amp;#160;&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;table cellpadding=&amp;quot;0&amp;quot; width=&amp;quot;100%&amp;quot; cellspacing=&amp;quot;0&amp;quot; border=&amp;quot;1&amp;quot;&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;tr&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;td width=&amp;quot;50%&amp;quot;&amp;gt;Datum:&amp;lt;/td&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;td width=&amp;quot;50%&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;amp;#160;&amp;lt;/td&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/tr&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;tr&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;td width=&amp;quot;50%&amp;quot;&amp;gt;Telefonnummer:&amp;lt;/td&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;td width=&amp;quot;50%&amp;quot;&amp;gt;&amp;amp;#160;&amp;lt;/td&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/tr&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;tr&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;td width=&amp;quot;50%&amp;quot;&amp;gt;Gespr&amp;#228;chspartner:&amp;lt;/td&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/tr&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;tr&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;td width=&amp;quot;50%&amp;quot;&amp;gt;Betreff:&amp;lt;/td&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;td width=&amp;quot;50%&amp;quot;&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/td&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/tr&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;tr&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;td width=&amp;quot;50%&amp;quot;&amp;gt;Inhalt:&amp;lt;/td&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;td width=&amp;quot;50%&amp;quot;&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/td&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/tr&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/table&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/body&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;/html&amp;gt;
</body>
<creationDateTime>2010-01-25 10:11:51.543</creationDateTime>
<modificationDateTime>2010-01-25 10:11:55.169</modificationDateTime>
</Entry>
</Entries>
<Attachments/>
</BrainData>

Then create a keyboard shortcut that will call

cat path/to/file.xml | sed -e "s/__TIMESTAMP__/`date \"+%Y-%m-%d %T\"`/g" | pbcopy
and map it to e.g. command-ctrl-1

Now, whenever you need to create a call-protocoll template thought underneath the current active one, type your keyboard shortcut and select edit->insert thought. I guess the last part could be automated as well...

Of course, you can use whatever placeholders and cmd input you want instead of date and __TIMESTAMP__. Maybe you want to use curl grabbing the latest news for today from the net and pasting them into todays thought or sth the like. Wow. Made my own head hurt right there.. Infinite possibilities, yes!

I simply love PB. And i'm so glad it includes xml-importing.

Cheers, -c

Guess i might just write a couple of one-liners in curl, filling the notes-section or attaching files where needed. Anyone in?

zenrain
Thanks for the info Chris, when I get a chance I'll have to try this out.
For those who aren't familiar with the above command line entry, it's using Unix, so would only work on Mac or Linux, not Windows. For Windows Users it should be fairly easy to do something similar with AHK or another automation solution.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software