It provides consistent formatting 7 votes
26%
 I can copy it easily to/from other places 10 votes
38%
 I'm not sure - it's cool 0 votes
0%
 Other - please leave a comment 3 votes
11%
Multiple choice poll. Please sign up or log in to vote.
There have been many requests for Markdown in notes. I'm curious what people are thinking. If you would like Markdown support, please tell us why by answering the poll. Thanks!
Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
My vote was really an amalgamation between its easily transferable between different locations, and still allows a way to preserve formatting.
For example. I export a selection of thoughts with notes as text. In a Markdown editor they will retain their formatting.
Or, I write up a document in a text document. I export it to Word or HTML for the published copy. I paste it in a thought note for my archival copy.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Harlan
Thanks for kicking things off. [smile]

zenrain wrote:
I export a selection of thoughts with notes as text. In a Markdown editor they will retain their formatting.

This assumes quite a bit more than just implementation of markdown as an editor - it also assumes that an export function that can export multiple thoughts along with their notes is implemented. Sadly, I don't see how markdown as a format makes this any easier to implement...

zenrain wrote:
Or, I write up a document in a text document. I export it to Word or HTML for the published copy. I paste it in a thought note for my archival copy. 

Yes, I can see how that would work.
Regards,
-Harlan
mbaas
It's spreading and it would be nice being able to use the same lang everywhere and also copy/paste between other platforms and TheBrain with formatting is a great advantage.
korm
I believe supporting plain text notes is both sufficient and the greatest common denominator. Plain text facilitates anyone using the markup syntax they wish -- Markdown, LaTeX, GMB, etc.

I would never consider TheBrain as the place to compose, compile, and edit a polished document -- there are much better alternatives. I would only be extracting notes from TheBrain with their markup to run through more powerful and customizable interpreters such as Marked, or into more powerful editors, such as Ulysses -- from which I'd make the final work product.

I use markdown extensively -- and like most markdown users I have a set of preferred tools and techniques for final production -- which leads me to suggest you'll satisfy more people more of the time by just sticking to plain text (and rich text for anyone who doesn't care about markup) and let us fiddle on our own with whatever backend we prefer.

(I'd also be happy if you didn't support any kind of editor technology beyond TextKit or its Windows cognate, and native previews for the user's OS --- and give us a button to push on the text pane to "Open In" external editors.)
perry
Personally I would much prefer adding my markup in plain text (i.e. in MarkDown format) as I find it simple and quick and keeps my fingers on the keyboard. If we only had plain text I'd probably be formatting it as MarkDown anyway (as it pretty much works like that too).

I love the possibility of an external editor (i.e. preferred functionality, extended functionality, etc): would be great for doing more extensive notes... and I sometimes do start bigger documents in TB, even though it's not a ground breaking document editor -- but if that's where my 'research' is then I'm likely to start there. So whatever formatting is available will be used.

Using the same text formatting as other applications would be of significant benefit. For example being able to copy Note code from TB <> Trello would ensure similarity (but I presume that whatever format you use internally there would need to parse the formatted text anyway?).
enkidu
Hello

korm stated it perfectly :

Quote:
which leads me to suggest you'll satisfy more people more of the time by just sticking to plain text (and rich text for anyone who doesn't care about markup) and let us fiddle on our own with whatever backend we prefer.

cheers
enkidu
zenrain
Harlan wrote:
This assumes quite a bit more than just implementation of markdown as an editor - it also assumes that an export function that can export multiple thoughts along with their notes is implemented. Sadly, I don't see how markdown as a format makes this any easier to implement...

Sorry, was (and still am) on phone so my wording was sloppy. We can already do what I was thinking of by right clicking the multiple selected thoughts section and choosing copy as text outline with notes. But yes, my assumption would be that the markdown formatting would be included.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
perry
zenrain wrote:
We can already do what I was thinking of by right clicking the multiple selected thoughts section and choosing copy as text outline with notes. But yes, my assumption would be that the markdown formatting would be included.

Having the option of copying Text Outline with Notes as formatted would be great. If MarkDown was implemented, it'd be handy to have 'Text Outline with Note Source'.

Currently text is copied as plain text only I think? Certainly would be great to have the option of having notes formatted. Edit: Somehow when I just tried it was copied as plain text, but now trying it again it's formatted?? Not sure how I managed that, as I can't do it again. [confused]

What I would expect though, if the Note was in edit mode with MarkDown displayed, that the MarkDown text would be copied to the clipboard.

To copy the source of the Note to the clipboard, it would have to be another special command (as MarkDown, for example, would be indistinguishable from plain text in the clipboard AFAIK)
zenrain
So while we are discussing Markdown in depth...
My concern with adding Markdown formatting is how it will display/integrate with WebBrain (I believe PersonalBrain first went to an HTML editor for a few reasons, one of them being ease of displaying the notes online).

Since I figure more communication about features is better than less, here's my happy path implementation of Markdown in TheBrain:
  • Markdown is enabled on a Per Brain basis. I thought it would be nice to do on a per thought basis, but that's a lot of fiddling, room for error and display overhead.
  • The notes are displayed in html formatting (both in the desktop and web version) using the existing themes. 
  • Clicking the note to edit will display the markdown text for editing. Clicking out of the text will revert back to HTML rendering.
  • I don't mind if TheBrain 9 does or doesn't handle internal and external links the way the normal editor does (automatic conversion). I would assume if you use Markdown you would be comfortable with DIY (doing it yourself), as long as if you copy a thought and paste it into the text it paste's the correct link, I'm fine with formatting the markdown links the way I'm used to.
I'm not sure of the underpinnings to get all this working both in mobile, online and desktop, but it seems to me to be a lot, so I'm grateful that the request is even being considered. [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Harlan
FYI, it's extremely unlikely MD will make it into TB9. This is a discussion for a future version and to see if there are small things we can change to get some of the desired benefits without major changes.

For example - the number one poll result at this point is copy/paste to other programs...
  • It is possible we could implement paste so that it recognizes MD and translates it to HTML on paste.
  • The reverse is not quite so easy, but it might possible to implement some subset of copying from TB into MD format.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Is there anyone else that would like to see Markdown support? If you would, please participate in the poll. Thanks!
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software