Quorcork Show full post »
Harlan
Spacenexus wrote:

There are several viable approaches to brain merging, discretely embedding (as above), and cross linking. It might be useful for the brain team to outline their current approach to this feature set so that we can provide some early feedback to their efforts.

The work underway essentially treats copying, pasting, and merging of Brains all as related tasks. Linking of Brains will be handled separately as it involves a whole different set of design and technical challenges.

Many of you will have noticed that every thought in a Brain has GUID (globally unique identifier). This is important for copy/paste/merge, since it will allow one to copy a thought from one brain to another without losing its "identity". So for instance, you will be able to:

1. Copy a set of thoughts from Brain A into Brain B (or merge Brain A into Brain B if you want everything).
2. Modify the original set of thoughts in Brain A.
3. A week later (or whenever) copy the thoughts from Brain A back into Brain B again without creating duplicates - just updating the changed thoughts.

The same applies in reverse - if you modified the thoughts in Brain B, you could then copy them back into Brain A... Hopefully this is slightly clearer than mud and you are getting the idea... It essentially means that you could have a "sub-brain" both separately from the "main-brain" as well as having it integrated.

For a practical example: If I had a "WorldBrain", I could send Trischa the "Oz" section only, let her work on it and then incorporate her changes back into the "WorldBrain" without worrying about duplications...

One other detail - we are planning on building the copy-paste functionality so that it uses an "open" XML based format. This means that if you wanted to create a Brain programatically or from a third party data source, all you have to do is construct valid XML, put it into the clipboard, and paste it into your Brain...
Regards,
-Harlan
Spacenexus
Harlan

These look like great and exciting developments that cover a large wishlist. Thanks for the update and look forward to seeing these features as they become ready.

Although beyond the scope of your stated plans, would i be correct in suggesting that an additional opportunity exists for third parties to also create API functions that automatically synchronise thoughts between Brain A and Brain B, using the forthcoming copy-to-synchronise thoughts function?

cheers

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
lunatrix
This is kind of a disaster for me! Having read in the user manual that merging brains was easy I made a separate brain for all the stuff I had in one folder and now I find I cant merge them afterall!! When will this 4.1 be available? Also when will the new manual for PB4 be available. It is really pretty confusing having to learn from the PB3 manual and PB4 transition guide!! Esp since the transition guide focuses on things that re better/easier and seems not always to warn that some things are no longer possible Like undo! While I am here can I put in a plea for at least some kind of undo? I see in principle everything is so easy to do it shouldnt be necessary but when you just select and move a whole bunch of stuff and accidentally put it in the wrong place it would be SOOOOO nice just to hit undo rather than trying to find and unlink everything you just moved.
Seriously pls let me know if there is any way I link between all the stuff I just organised in a second brain and all the stuff in my main brain. Not being able to do that is really going to hold me up a lot.
Thx
Helen

Harlan
Helen, version 4.1 is available now, but the merging functionality has not been integrated yet. As stated above, this is the next major piece of functionality we will be introducing, so don't worry.

The manual for PB4 is still being edited unfortunately. We had hoped to get it out earlier, but have run into some unexpected delays. It should be completed shortly.

Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
Thanks for the quick reply. Is there anything you can suggest for me to do? I currently have a big and important chunk of my brain outside my main brain! I am not keen to rebuild that big chunk but I really do need all that info in my main brain. I have been trying to get the linking/merging process described in the manual to work and just logged on here to find out what I was doing wrong ...
Helen

Harlan
Copying of thoughts from one Brain to another is possible with version 4.1.2.0, which will be posted shortly.

To merge Brains, open the Brain you want to merge, select all the thoughts (use Reports, then Edit > Add Report to Selection) then choose Edit > Copy Selected Thoughts. Open the Brain you want to merge the copied thoughts into and select Edit > Paste Thoughts.

Regards,
-Harlan
asexymind
Harlan - I have one request - when you end up selling the brain to Google, contract/insist that you stay on as the central development force.  You rock, and watching you systematically improve the power and functionality of this software is simply inspiring.  With you at the helm, I can see using the Brain for decades, which is exactly how I want to use it.

Thanks for all of your work.
Mark

--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com
cjdunkerley
I am using the trial at the moment and need to understand if I can do the following with the Pro (2 license) version:

Does the existing or new functionality have a way of synchronising 1 Brain being used on 2 PCs?  For example, on my PC and on my laptop.  I just want exact copies and an easy/non-technical way of doing it.

Thanks.
Christopher
Axla
I'm syncing my brain between two computers by storing my brain in 'Brainzip' file. This is OK, since everything is copied into a single file. BUT, all the files' 'saved date' is changed to the date of unzipping the file. To me, this is acceptable, but not ideal, and a suggestion (or two) has been posted asking to correct this small flaw.

Others on this forum suggest apps such as "Karen's Powertools", Toucan or Foldershare (now part of Microsoft Live). I have not tried Foldershare.

I store the Brainzip on a USB-drive, and copy it to the local harddrive, because the harddrive is much faster than the USB-drive.

I can recommend you to use PB from a USB-drive, and the Brain file from the local harddrive.

Good luck with Personal Brain. This software ROCKS!!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software