DavidGretzschel

ver 11.28 Win 10
Double clicking on the Plex and (greyspace of?) the Content area to put them into focus is great and an appreciated feature, however this really needs to be doable by a shortcut, so I don't have to grab the mouse.

In general:
Yes, TheBrain has an admirable amount of shortcuts and that is good.
However for many things I have to use the mouse. If truly everything can be done using the keyboard alone,
the whole user experience would be transformed into something magical.
Each existing shortcut would be used more and the average speed of an experienced user would drastically increase.
People wanting to get into TheBrain would also be able to adopt the software so much quicker, if there was one way to do everything instead of wanting to do something and having to wonder not only how to do it, but also with which tool (keyboard or mouse) to do it.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

DavidGretzschel
I suggest, that clicking ctrl+n to focus the notes area should maximize the notes-area if clicked again.
Same for the Plex and ctrl+s.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel

Actually this is already possible via the "splitter left/right"-commands. I'm actually quite happy with how those work out.
It's just that I've ignored them so far, cause I didn't see their point. It's not obvious that I can hide/call the Content-area with those.

However there's a problem with those still:
If I hide the Plex-area, it should not be possible to still have the focus be on the Plex.
So I'd naively assume that I could use arrow-keys to go between lines only to jump between thoughts,
loading up different notes. I don't think that "blind tree navigation" is a feature.
Even when want to search for another thought from my maximized content-area wanting to see the
search result's content, I still might idly press the up or down arrow, which would again result in rapidly showing me
confusing text that I couldn't possibly have wanted.

And when I hide the content-area I don't expect the focus to remain there. The "ability to type out a note blindly" is not a feature, either I believe.
And having the thought-rename-UI pop up under the Content-area (see the screenshot) is also not intended, I am sure.
(weirdly amusing as that is)

I had a lot of difficulty picking this program up, because so often I couldn't move or got stuck and the arrow-keys didn't do anything
all of a sudden. This is one of those causes.

Click image for larger version - Name: sillyBrain.png, Views: 31, Size: 82.41 KB
DavidGretzschel
Thought in TheBrain-Brain:  https://bra.in/6vA6Na

focus doesn't leave notes area when no longer visible, must have been fixed at some point

--
---
---

mcaton
Thanks for the update.  Yes, this was addressed in recent builds.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software