bryan Show full post »
bryan
Darkstar,

I don't know why we have to wait for 5.1.  We're losing data, and it seems like the PB people are more interested in making the message board look good (which they seem to be struggling with also).

They seem to treat all this data loss very lightly.  I'm totally frustrated.

Bryan
Darkstar

Well, IIRC, they released a few patches that were supposed to address some of these lost links issues.

The reason we are awaiting this fix in 5.1 is that it apparently took a very BIG change to how they do their data business, and so it isn't something they can easily just shove into the 5.0 branch. I just hope that the 5.1 really fixes it.

I don't stick everything single little thing into my brain--- so I am not as "at risk" as the totally integrated users. But I do think that 5.1 should be released SOONEST. I'd have thought this lost links issue would be high enough to make that job one. Data knowledge is PBs first job, and link losses destroys your primary reason to use PB.

I don't think any developers are wasting their time on the forum. Some of their customer handlers might be, but not their developers. And Harlan hasn't been around, so I am guessing that is because he's been leading/working with his developers to get 5.1 out soonest, as a beta release.
-Darkstar
mcaton
Bryan,

In the mean time, do you loose data from a test brain that contains a portion of the thoughts in your master brain file that is having problems?  You can create a test brain by copying a portion of thoughts (10, 50, 100, whatever you are comfortable with) and pasting them into a new, CLEAN, brain. If so, can you send us a brainzip of the test brain (or master brain if possible) for continued testing?

If you can NOT replicate the problem in a test brain, this may lead to a temporary solution.  Merge your original .brain file that is having problems into a new, clean, empty brain and see if the problems continue.

Thank you,
Matt
bryan
Matt:

Here are some things I have tried:

1. Exporting the whole brain via "Export Personal Brain XML" and importing that into a clean brain.  I get exactly the same results as shown in the previous screen shots.

2.  (This one is very interesting.)  As I mentioned before, if I do a "search" on a thought that was a child of the thought "Personal" and select that thought, from the search list, it is then shown in the plex....BUT.....(see screenshots)...

If I make "Personal" the current thought, and do a "crawl brain and modify selection" (children only, 2 clicks deep) nothing is selected.....(See image31)

If I search, then select, so that some of the children are shown on the screen, and then do a "crawl brain and  modify slection" (children only, 2 clicks deep)....there is still nothing selected......(See image 32)

So I really believe that this is not just a "view" problem, but for some reason, those links are actually broken.

You had asked me to do a copy and paste, but without being able to crawl and select, I'm not sure how to do that...

Bryan
Click image for larger version - Name: Image31.jpg, Views: 188, Size: 56.72 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Image32.jpg, Views: 188, Size: 55.07 KB
bryan
Matt,

Ok, here's my last test.

I created a new brain from scratch, called WBH_Test_Merge.

I merged the old WBH brain into this brain.

All 1131 thoughts came in.

The "new brain" experiences the exact same problems that the old brain did.  (See images).

Here are the interesting observations:

1. The thought that is causing me the problems is not the "home thought" in the original brain.  Yet, upon merging, the thought that is causing the problems became the "child" of the home thought in the new brain (See image41).

2. If I do a search in the new merged brain for the thought that was the home thought in the old brain, the link from that thought to the child "Personal" is intact, and "Personal is in fact a child of that thought.  (See image42).  So it appears that the thought "Personal"'s links are messed up, both childward, and parentward.

3. If I start at Personal in the new brain, and do a crawl and select (children, 2 clicks), I get the same results as in the original brain....   only "Personal" is selected.   And, just as in the original brain, if I search and select thoughts that are children of "Personal" and then do the crawl, even though there are children showing under the parent "Personal" they are not select.

All of these results are exactly the same as they were in the original brain.

Bryan

Click image for larger version - Name: Image41.jpg, Views: 180, Size: 53.75 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Image42.jpg, Views: 180, Size: 64.01 KB
Click image for larger version - Name: Image43.jpg, Views: 180, Size: 68.48 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Image44.jpg, Views: 179, Size: 71.97 KB
mcaton
Bryan,

Thanks for all the input.  Yes, there appears to be something wrong here in the Brain that you are working with.  Since we are unable to replicate the problem in any of our test brains, in order to move forward with troubleshooting this issue, I'd like to get a copy of the Brain you are working with.  Can you email me a .brainzip?  Or just manually zip up one of the .brain file and corresponding _brain folders that you have experienced the problem with?

You can send the file to matt@thebrain.com.

Thank you,
Matt
bryan
Matt,

Sorry, but I don't know how I could do that.

As I mentioned in a previous post, this brain is my "catch all" GTD brain.  I have personal information, financial information, business information regarding personnel, etc. etc. etc.

If any of this information would be compromised, I'd be in big trouble.  And due to confidentiality issues, I really am not legally allowed to send it anyway.

So short of going through the brain and deleting that info (which would take some time and might alter the issues that we're trying to resolve), I just don't feel comfortable sending the brain.

Sometime in the next day or so, I'll try to creat a new, test brain; go through as many of the same steps as I can, and see if I can recreate the problem in a brain that I can send to you.

(I know others have had this problem also.... anyone out there reading this have a "non-sensitive" brain that they could send????)

Bryan

zenrain
You may try copying the parent, child thoughts and jump thoughts for a few levels where the issue is occurring most to a new brain. You can then attempt to recreate. If you can, it shouldn't be difficult to clear notes and attachments, and if necessary replace names with xxxxx and trying to recreate again.

If you decide to try that, then I'd recommend at least one thought at a level above the parent and making it the home thought.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
bryan
zenrain,

Sorry, I'm not trying to be dense, but how do you want me to copy them...????

Crawl and select doesn't work, as I've stated previously...

When I move around the plex, the children disappear again, as I've also stated,  so I can't manually add them to a selection....

Is there another way???

Bryan

zenrain
I'm working under the assumption that you can report on them, which should mean that if you have them in a report you should be able to ctrl-click them to select them to add them to the selection. This shouldn't require you moving around in the plex so they disappear from the selection.

If that is the case, you should (hopefully) be able to make your visible parent/jump thought selection, switch to the report, ctrl-click the thoughts to add them to the selection, and copy the selection that way.

The only other thing you could do if my assumption is incorrect, is copy the whole brain to another brain (which you have already done) and delete all unrelated thoughts (I'd recommend in small batches of 100'ish at a time) and you should be left with something you can send. This option is more time consuming, but it's worth mentioning.

Edit: Sigh, I wish I tested before hand, but selecting thoughts in reports activates them. Sorry, it looks like the second option may be the only viable way to do it.

Edit 2: Hmm, if you can get them to appear in a report, you could create a new type, assign the parents and visible related thoughts to the type, then on the report, right click the thoughts with the issue, and assign them the same type. Then you mby be able to report on that type and hopefully use Edit > Add thought results to selection to get them all. Ok, I'm done now.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
bryan
zenrain,

Here's what I did.

1. I made a copy (literially by copying the files to a new location) of the brain with the probelms.

2. Did a report on "all".

3. Went through the report, thought by thought, and deleted any "sensitive" information from the notes, and any "internal" attachments that might also contain sensitive information.

4. Tested the brain to make sure it still exhibits the same problems, which it does.

5. Created a brain zip.

6. Sending you the brain zip.

PLEASE, still treat it as "sensitive".  I believe I removed all of the sensitive info, but I'm sure I missed something, somewhere.  I ask that you limit distribution of the brainzip, and destroy all copies after testing.

Bryan

bryan
zenrain,

Ok, this is REALLY strange....

I after my last post, I though, Hmmmm....maybe I should open the brain zip to make sure that after all the editing, and the zipping, it still exhibits the same problems before I send it to you.

It does(I guess that's good news),  BUT, in looking around after opening the brain zip.....all of the information that I so carefully deleted from the notes IS BACK.

I have attached two images.  The first one shows a thought that had sensitive information, which I deleted, so as you can see, there is nothing in the notes field. (see image51).

I closed that brain and opened the brain zip (yes, I was careful to open it to a sepearte location so there is no chance that I've gotten the two "mixed up".  They are in two completely separate directory trees).

If you look at image52, the notes information is back (the blackout was added to protect the information).

What's going on?????

I had mentioned in a previous post, that I have had problems "safely removing" my USB drive after using PB.  I suspected that PB was leaving files open on the drive. (As a note,  this file was never accessed from a USB drive, this is my file for work, and has always resided on my laptop Hard Drive.)

All of these tests were run from a physical HD, is it possible that something is staying open after PB closes?  I can't think of any other explaination of how information would reappear after being deleted.

Now what do I do???????

Bryan
Click image for larger version - Name: Image51.jpg, Views: 125, Size: 32.30 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Image52.jpg, Views: 123, Size: 36.05 KB
bryan
Just to make sure, I went back and VERY CAREFULLY, repeated the process.

1. I deleted all "temporary" brains except my copy of my original brain.

2. I reopend that copy, which had been previously edited to remove sensitive information and confirmed that the sensitive information was gone....which it was. (note that I did not delete the thought, just the note information, which was where the sensitive information was stored.  Since I was having link problems, I wanted to do as little disruption to the link structure as possible.)

3. I created a brain zip.

4. I closed PB

5. I reopend PB and did an "open", and selected the brian zip that I had just created.

6. Told PB to extract the brainzip to a directory that is completely seperate from all of the other directories that I had previously been using for all of these tests.....

7.  Once open, all of the sensitive information is back, as shown in the previous post's screen shots.

YIKES, the information I want, disappears, the information I don't want, reappears.......  This hole just keeps gettting deeper and deeper....

Any suggestions???

Bryan

zenrain
The only other thing I can think of to be able to send your brain in is get the brain to where you have deleted all the information (again), and without closing, run a report and select all the thoughts. Then go to File > Export > PersonalBrain XML.
After the export, open a new brain, choose File > Import > PersonalBrain XML and see if your sensitive data is still gone.

It sounds to me (and I'm not affiliated with TheBrain, so this is purely from my background in software issues) like some corruption was introduced into the database with the USB not closing issue you have been experiencing.

The thing is, even if you can get your files to support, if they do find it's corruption, I suspect they won't be able to do anything to fix it (assuming they can) without the entire brain
If you can't send them the entire brain (and I completely understand why), your only recourse may be restoring from a brainzip before the issues started occurring.

Once again, this is just an educated guess on my part.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
bryan

That's the interesting thing.... although I do use a USB drive for some brains, and I have had problems with removing the USB drives....    This brain does not run from a USB....it has always been on my laptop.   So if there is corruption, it wouldn't be via the USB issue.

7 days since my original post and I'm still dead in the water....

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software