copylove
TheBrain is the great product and I use it every day. But there is a lack of integration with my other products. Right now TheBrain is somewhat thing in itself. My main working computer is the Macbook. Below examples of crucial integrations:
  • Contacts —I need to have two directions integration with all my contacts.
  • OneNote — two direction integration with OneNote's arbitrary page with all attached structure — i.e. mapping one structure on other.
  • More tight integration with the MS Office 360. I want to see embedded in the right pan tables, docs, and presentations.
  • File system — I want to have bi-directions synchronization with folder structure.
eeik
@copylove, I completely echo your general desires for better integration points with other cornerstone applications and I'm cautiously optimistic that once an API is released, we'll all be able to start teasing out specific integrations that make sense to each of us.

Hopefully, if architected properly with extensibility as a 1st class citizen in mind, and with an eye towards allowing developers to share their extensions with other users quite freely, we may just have a thriving eco-system of interactivity to play with as TB users. The sky 🌤️ is truly the limit once things like Zapier/IFTTT become services that developers decide to build pipelines to...

This all said, an API has been A LONG TIME COMING ... and no sign yet of manifesting for TB10 ... maybe TB11?
- TheBrain API? - a post from 2016, w/ screenshot from 2007 noting the API would be available in TB4
- Developer API? - a post from last January
- API? - a post from 2016
Querying the database w/o PB running - a post from 2010
- Feature Request: API (#3281) - a recent acknowledgement a few months back

As to your suggestions, I'm curious ... what specific integration features do you have in mind? You've noted a few application names, but the integration vectors are endless as currently defined. What specific integrations or feature enhancements make sense to integrate with what thoughts, thought types, or alternative views within TheBrain for you?

Perhaps you can outline how a few of these features might manifest? A few images and/or UX flows would be handy to see what you're suggesting here.

For example, what does bi-directions synchronization with folder structure mean to you? If you link a file that lives elsewhere on your hard disk (i.e. not an internal brain folder) then it both shows up within TheBrain, allows you to open it from within TheBrain, and if you modify it, the file is updated on your HDD and the "link" within TB to that file still remains valid. The file and the brain remain "synchronized" the entire time.

The clearer you can articulate your ideas to the team, the more likely they'll be considered. 🎯
copylove
@eeik, OK, I'll write down cases which the most interesting for me and my colleagues!
ruudhein
For me the most desirable use of integration is by exposing the API to a service like IFTTT (or Zapier). I enjoy using IFTTT to chain services together; create a record here when a new item has been added there, etc.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | PrintFriendly | TheBrain v10.0.54.0
PaddyVA
ruudhein wrote:
For me the most desirable use of integration is by exposing the API to a service like IFTTT (or Zapier). I enjoy using IFTTT to chain services together; create a record here when a new item has been added there, etc.

DITTO!  I use IFTTT with Pocket and InstaPaper to add clips to Evernote.  Would greatly increase my use of TB if I could add them from one of those apps, or better yet, from direct add from other apps.

Thanks Ruddhein for the Using links too; I hadn't heard of Filterize, Dynalist and Liner; I think Filterize has good potential for addition to my app infrastructure.  Evernote is my main database with over 51,000 notes.

Pat

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software