wordmuse
I wonder if I am the only one with this need. If so, apologies for wasting your time...

I want to use TheBrain to manage projects.  One of the things that I need with any complex project is access to reference information. I've built up quite a store of reference information over the past couple of years or so.

The problem is that I can't keep my project effort and the reference information open at the same time.

If I want to access the reference area, I have to, in effect, close the project area, get the reference, and then trace my way back to where I was in the project.  If I want to keep the reference node open, I have to sacrifice some of the visual real estate by invoking the Selection dialog (Ctrl+clicking a thought), pinning it, etc.  The problem gets even more tedious if I need more than one reference thought.

The obvious solution for me would be to have multiple windows or tabs where I could set TheBrain to a particular thought and access that window or tab whenever I needed it and then flip back to my project. If I'm writing a note in the project, I wouldn't have to leave the note. If I had a thought with multiple attachments, and I clicked the attachments so that I could pick the right one, I could flip over to the reference tab, determine which is the right one, flip back to the project tab and click it.

Many (most?) Windows application support tabs and multiple Windows. TheBrain doesn't and it doesn't appear to be something that will be provided anytime soon.

So - after this shaggy dog story - the question: how do you manage your project development and activity and provide yourself with easy access to whatever reference information you need within TheBrain?  Is there a more elegant way than what I've laid out?

- Bal
enkidu
Well you DO have tabs in the tools.
Doesn't the Plex + Notes + Search tab satisfy your need ?
Also, I'm not sure how well TB would scale to having multiple plexes open - that's for developers to say.

While I also toyed with the idea of using TB for project management, it is structurally NOT a PM application because it's not time-centered, which is a quintessential aspect of PM.

cheers
enkidu

rengel
Try to work with two brains in parallel by opening a second instance of TheBrain. Use one instance for your project, and one for your references. This only works, if your refrences and your project are not in the same brain.

Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
wordmuse
It's something, though this doesn't let me easily create links between the project and the reference information.  But it might be useful for some things.

Thanks.

- Bal

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software