randystokes
MacBook Air running Mac OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion and TheBrain Pro 7.0.4.5.

Can I move my Brain (i.e., the Brain file, not the app itself) to an external drive? What do I have to move to the external drive to make it work?  Right now it appears everything is stored in a folder called Brain in my Documents folder.

Any "gotchas" I need to know about before doing this?

Randy
Modulo
I'm on Windows myself but TheBrain is java based so they should be the same. you need to keep the brain file and folder together but other than that I don't think there would be a problem with that.

you should find the paired file and directory somewhere in that Brain folder in your documents, I would assume, looking something like this

steak.brain
steak_brain

To be safe, copy these to the external, and then open them to test, instead of just moving them.

Good luck.
pthompson
Randy,

The easiest and safest way to move a Brain file is to first navigate to: File > Close Brain to close any Brain you may have open. This will bring you to a list of all your Brains. From this list, there is a drop down menu (black triangle). Click on this and you will several options. One of these options is 'Change Local Storage Location'. Choosing this will allow you to pick a new location for your Brain and TheBrain software will make all the necessary changes for you without any fear of damaging the database. 
artcanadianstyle
pthompson wrote:
Randy,

The easiest and safest way to move a Brain file is to first navigate to: File > Close Brain to close any Brain you may have open. This will bring you to a list of all your Brains. From this list, there is a drop down menu (black triangle). Click on this and you will several options. One of these options is 'Change Local Storage Location'. Choosing this will allow you to pick a new location for your Brain and TheBrain software will make all the necessary changes for you without any fear of damaging the database. 

I tried to do this very thing, but when it didn't appear that anything was happening, I thought the program had frozen (it has been doing that a lot lately) so I cancelled and forced quit.  There was no dialog box to state how long it would take as when you make a brain zip.
When I went into the program again, my file was gone.
When I checked the USB stick I was moving it to, it had partially copied the files.  I figure that my only option at this point is to try and copy the remaining files over.
Is there any way I can get it back to where it was on my local drive?  This is too scary for me.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software