george

Hi, I would like to request the possibility of using multiple icons per thought and tag icons, I think this would benefit most users since a thought can require to icons to explain more about it at first glance and tag icons would take tags to another dimension by adding visual information to them.

Thanks.

rhodes

Thanks for posting. This sounds like a good idea, my only concern being that in a crowded plex, too many icons might cause confusion as to which thought they belong, particularly if tag icons were the same size as thought icons.

The trouble with tag names is that they easily become too long for a string of them to display conveniently in the plex, which is why I turn tag display off in my Brains. However, if it were possible to display only a tiny icon or symbol without a name, this might be more appealing.

I seem to remember that someone in the past tried differently colored wingdings as names of tags to add a bit of variety, but soon ran into problems because, unlike thoughts, you can't have two tags with the same name (pity). This idea still works as long as each tag has a different wingding for its name - can be any color you like.

If you use icons that much, why not use an icon editor to create a system of icons with unique designs and colors to suit your system? Then a single icon might be able to contain elements of two or more icons, enough information to satisfy your need.

Another solution might be to use PB's inbuilt Capture Thought Icon feature to take a screenshot of a number of icons placed in a group, and use this screenshot as your main icon for that thought. You can copy and paste this image anywhere, just like any other icon.

Alan Rhodes
george

Thanks for your input rhodes, if I edit an icon to make it have two icons it will shrink and I wouldn't be able to distinguish it clearly, not to mention this takes a lot of time and effort on the user side as opposed to just adding icons to an existing thought and letting PB handle them.

Many icons can enrich the information one has on a thought at a single glance unfortunately tags are not that useful in that regard as they are now.

rhodes

It's difficult to know what else to suggest. How about renaming the icons that you plan to use by putting numbers in front of their names so that they display in a particular order, with the lowest number at the top?

Quote:
if I edit an icon to make it have two icons it will shrink

I was thinking more along the lines of collecting a set of icons from somewhere that suit you, then modifying them to make a slightly larger set, each with a distinct "message" that will alert you. I remember Cornan posted a nice set of icons for us, thanks again. Icons are so small anyway that they need very simple graphics. I'm sure you will very soon memorize what each icon represents.

Another trick might be to create virtual thoughts (virtual folders) for thoughts that need more than one icon, and assign each extra icon beyond the first to its own virtual thought. Then you will always have them all on view.

Alan Rhodes
cloidl
I really like the ideas of multiple icons, maybe with a slight variant, to only show one icon. For example I have a Turkey History Throught, that shows as a timeline icon under turkey, but I'd like to show as a Turkish Flag under Regional History .... Is that possible or will be?

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software