lunatrix
This is a topic I have revisited periodically ever since I first started using the brain back in 2007 - but I feel like giving it another go now that we are in Brain 9. 

I often want to use my brain as a way of reminding myself about significant things that I would otherwise forget (as opposed to storing things that I can find again when I remember I need them).

So say I am going to conference A in city B. I want to discuss topic C. I can remember I need to get in touch with persons D E and F - and the brain makes it wonderfully easy for me to access their thoughts and grab all the info I need.

But who am I missing? 

To me the obvious thing is to search for people thoughts that all SHARE parents city B, conference A,  topic C (and maybe more)

But the brain doesn't let me search for thoughts with multiple parents! It's been one of a number of frustrations (another is the difficulty of managing and using TYPES that I brought up recently) that have ultimately kept me from using the brain as much as I would like to.

But I'm sure I am not the only one who faces this kind of search problem - and others don't seem to find it as frustrating as I do. How do you all manage this kind of situation, where you want to find thoughts that share multiple parents?
Harlan
In TheBrain 9, select all the parents. Right click and select "Show Common Children". [smile]
Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
OMG HARLAN!!! You have made my day! When did we get to do this??? [love]
lunatrix
Except it only (I think) shows immediate children. I can see for some purposes that would be better - but it would be great if we could also show common descendants. Otherwise it gets messed up if you do some 'gardening' on thoughts with lots of children (i.e. collecting the children into intermediate thoughts).
Harlan
Yes, it only shows immediate children. It is possible to extend this function to show common descendants. That would be a good future improvement.
Regards,
-Harlan
mcaton
New feature request for "Show Common Descendants" has been documented.

Thanks,
Matt
Harlan
Included in 9.0.137. Create the initial list of immediate children, then click to expand the list as desired.
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
This is a fantastic feature. Wow. Thank you.

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
lunatrix
Haha - I was just coming to the forum to request this be added as an official feature request - and there it is already done. Brilliant. I am now going to start using TB9 for real!

Would it be pushing our luck to ask whether this feature could be extended to find common parents and jumps as well as children?

A small but annoying feature - the panel that displays the common parents seems to appear right at the bottom of my screen, and be un-draggable - meaning I can't read all its contents (except by swapping with the selection) - or anything that happens to be behind it. 

Is that a bug? Or am I doing something wrong on my end?

Thanks again for such quick work on this killer feature - it will really make all the difference.
lunatrix
One additional request on this 'show common children' thing (if I may) - it is terrific being able to expand the number of generations one by one, but if poss can we have the ability to reduce the number of generations too? That way we can find the sweet spot that gives exactly the results we want (currently if you go too far, you have to start all over again - not TOO bad but would be nicer to just be able to click and subtract a generation).
jotapa
This functionality is good - absolutely required to properly explore TB.

Having said that, I don't think it is implemented the right way. Sorry for being the annoying guy spoiling the party...

It is too complicated to get the expected results.
It is not intuitive - not even seasoned users find it or know it exists, easily.
It requires too much mouse travel, clicking here and there, selection, right click...
It is not integrated as part of a cohesive user experience but rather leverages different features across the brain to get to the results.

You can do better TB team, making this much more accessible, easier to learn and use, quicker, more impactful...

Looking forward to it.

Regards
Joao
Harlan
lunatrix wrote:
...the panel that displays the common parents seems to appear right at the bottom of my screen, and be un-draggable - meaning I can't read all its contents (except by swapping with the selection) - or anything that happens to be behind it.

Please post a screenshot of what is happening for you. The popup should appear at the location of your mouse.

We'll make a note of a feature request to enable lowering the number of generations as well as changing the relationship type.

Joao, I believe this is very much a power user feature. It requires the selection of multiple items upon which to perform analysis and a solid understanding of the network structure to make use of it. While I am sure there are ways we could make this more prominent in the UI, for new users that may be more confusing than helpful. As you know, we have many other features, improvements, and bug fixes competing for resources...

Regards,
-Harlan
jotapa
You just described the problem Harlan - like some other things in TB - this was implemented as a power user function.

But it can be (should be in my opinion) a very easy feature that would appeal to a large user base - not just power users.

We are basically talking about:

- Find information related to two or more areas/thoughts of the brain.

The ability to link information - thoughts, notes, files - is the KEY Strength of the brain.

Why are we limited to search on a single dimension, like evernote and all the other non-linked information repositories do? The brain should offer a simple search option to enter two or more search criteria.

Why is this relevant? 

Because I want to find:

• People that attended a specific meeting, and are also part of a project.
  • Documents that reference economy and a specific country.
  • An article about a specific company, that is also listed under a specific topic, and talks about a certain technology.

How to do it?

Create a option for advanced search criteria - I discussed that with you already - it should be the Report area. There should be several search boxes there on top of each other. The user just needs to enter the search criteria on each one and select the thought / notes - like we do on the existing search box today. And then press a button: find common Children / Descendants.

Meaning... you do need to improve search / filter capabilities to increase TB's potential and capabilities!

Joao

zenrain
I think what is being requested here is the ability to create (and save) modular search queries (for example query set 1 + query set 2 = end result). I can see this being very useful, but the implementation would be non-trivial (both in design, UI and QA) and not reasonable for v9.0 or even v9.x.

With that said... +1 for modular reporting... [biggrin]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
I believe most of these posts came up prior to 9.0.140.  Some new Advanced Search within Reports capabilities have arrived.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software