wordmuse
As things are currently developed, PB allows me to open multiple instances with different brains loaded.  I like this.

However, each instance requires a separate load, the only way to switch between them is via Windows support (task bar, Alt Tab, etc.).  I don't much like that.

What I would like is a tabbed interface, similar to Word or many other programs where I can simply move from one brain to another to another by simply clicking a tab.

This would be more elegant and easier to use. If I get at least two other *customers* agreeing that this would be a good idea, I'll post it in the uservoice site.

- Bal

Tracy
Hi Bal,
Thanks for posting this. Now, you might already know about this, but I have to mention just in case you do not. Are you aware of Brain buttons? This is a great way to quickly toggle between Brains. Notice on the Top Menu Bar, there is an icon (far right hand side) This icon is a brain icon with a + symbol next to it. When you mouse over it, it says "Add Brain Button" Click on that. This is going to add that Brain as button on the menu bar. Open your second Brain and also add this as a Brain button. Notice now, you can very quickly toggle between these Brains. Tracy
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies
wordmuse
Hi Tracy,

Yes, I'm aware of this function. But it doesn't do what I want since it first closes the currently open brain and then opens the selected one.

What I want are several brains open in RAM at the same time, being able to easily switch between them as fast as I can switch between multiple Word or Excel files within the Office environment.

Tabs would be nice, but are not essential, and certainly the brain toolbar buttons would be sufficient - IF the main functionality I'm asking for was in place.

The fact is that I can have two sessions of PB open at the same time. But each has its own session interface instead of sharing a common one, as (again) we find in Microsoft's Office environment (and Open Office, and Freemind, etc.)

Please let me know if I'm not being sufficiently clear about what I'd like to see in PB's evolution.

- Bal

pshanks
I personally like it as separate instances that way I can have different Brains on different monitors

I personally don't like anything tab, expect my web browsers.

But that's my $.02.

wordmuse
Tabs aren't important to me. But having multiple instances accessible from within the PB environment instead of having to go to the Windows task bar or perform an Alt+Tab operation is. (Also - some of us don't have multiple screens and need something a bit more compact, which is served nicely by tabs.)

- Bal

wordmuse
One more thing to point out - and I'm thinking this ought to be relatively easy to implement with a kind of "if already open, then..." tweak of the programming.

If I have, as suggested, various brains listed in the toolbar and the one I'm going to switch to is already open as a separate session, don't give me an error message that says it's already open (I guess indicating a sharing error?). Instead simply switch over to the open brain.

And if it's not already open, how about having a dialog that comes up and asks whether PB should open the selected brain in a separate session?

- Bal

wordmuse
I'm going to be a squeaky wheel on this feature until someone official tells me to shut up. 

Once again, I really could have used this feature today. I have one area of a brain that I wanted to refer to as a reference area. I have another area of the same brain that I am using for content development.  I would really like to be able to Alt+Tab between these two areas, without any animation, etc. I don't want the visual clutter of my eyes tracking as PB repeatedly swaps between two areas in a single window.  Having two views of the same brain, much as I can have two views of the same mile long document in Word, is what I need.

Now maybe it's a technological Mount Everest for the good folks at TheBrain.com to implement. I'm guessing not. And if it's more like scrambling up a few eggs, cooking up an omelet some bacon, and hash browns - even if I'm the only one in the entire universe and for all of time and space who wants this, so be it: I'm an unbelievably selfish barbarian and want what I want.

Yesterday! Please.

- Bal
Spacenexus

There's a way to do this today easily if you have a second computer. Have your brain on both computers then use http://www.maxivista.com to ramp up remote control of your second computer from your first keyboard and mouse. You can extend this scenario to up to 4 computers so you can have four separate instances of your identical brain running with different active thoughts for reference (which also still falls within the new TB7 4-installation licencing).

I've used Maxivista for several years for wirelessley connecting my laptop, three towers and eight screens together in a control cluster and it's worked great, even with LogMeIn when roaming. It also has a cut'n'paste accross computers so content can be transferred instantly.

Hopefully that's a little oil on your wheel.

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
wordmuse
Thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately, I don't use 2 computers. I suppose that if the need becomes great enough, I could go purchase one, but I think that's overkill for my needs.

I think I'll just sit without the lights on and drink my coffee in the dark (poor me).
- Bal

Spacenexus

Unfortunately the open read only brain capability opening a second instance of the same brain didn't make it from the v3 to v4 migration. It would be a nice feature to recover.

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
wordmuse
So - squeaky wheel - squeaky wheel...
JAz
Spacenexus wrote:

s then use http://www.maxivista.com to ram

I'm kinda new here and shouldn't hijack a thread but I've gotta jump in here..  absolutely HORRID developer (Bartels Media and the owner/main dev Gunnar something..)  Draconian, closed minded and thick. Limitedly helpful (forum only!) with a lot of cut and paste answers, mostly pointing to FAQ or small-print.  When they say they reserve the right to edit their forums, they really reserve that right, and are very active with it.  The reason there aren't too many 'open' threads of problems when you search the history is because they are pruned out.  So if their software one day stops behaving as expected on your system, expect to change your system to work better with their software.  And it might be a little patchworky and process-of-eliminationistic figuring out how to alter your system, but shouldn't really consider that time and/or cost.  Because you're the benefactor of the new parts and upgrades to your PC and you'll have them even after they [strikethrough]revoke your license[/strikethrough] refund your money.  

You know what?, You probably don't want to know how I know...    

Bottom line: Interesting and potentially useful software but not a dev I'd ever get into bed with.

Sorry for the OT but I hope that helps keep someone from making a mistake.

/rant>

Peace.

wordmuse
Squeaky wheel here again... TheBrain enables you to capture a thought's URL and use that URL with other apps. But guess what? When you do click the link it tries to open a new instance of TheBrain rather than simply checking to see if the data file is already open and if so switching to it.  It really makes TheBrain seem a lot (a LOT) clunkier than it should. At least IMO.

And I'm guess I am the only one who cares about this. So it'll never see the light of day. So not being totally insane, I think I'll stop squeaking. One can get used to repetitive annoyances...
pthompson
Bal,

I'll report the issue so our developers can take a look and hopefully find a fix for this. Thanks.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software