path
dont know which would be the right place for this, but...

what could it do? my brain.backup is broken. vista says its in a bad sector. i dont know how this happened, but my harddrive has several bad sectors and it continues to die. i rescued all my data to another harddrive, but some files are unreadable.
3809.txt
brain.backup
these two are the only files of my brain which dont work.
my last backup was 30 days ago and i used my brain everyday since then. ...at least for 4-5 hours per day. this work will be LOST when i dont find a way to recover my brain.

what could i do?
Harlan
First, make a backup now of everything in your _brain folder. Next, replace your hard drive.

Unfortunately, your description doesn't sound very promising. If your hard drive is dead or dying, there's not much you can do. We may be able to read your Brain file without the .backup file, it depends on what state it was left in. If you send the files named brain.??? from inside your _brain folder (put them in a zip) to us at support@thebrain.com, we will see what if anything we can recover.

Worst case scenario is that you have lost the data due to your drive failure. It that's really the only file that is dead, then you will also be able to recover any attachments you have inside your Brain. These are stored in the "files" folder - you could go back to your 30 day old backup and then copy in the files from the "files" folder that have been modified since the backup was made. That way you would lose your Thoughts and notes changes for the last 30 days, but at least you would have the files.

Sadly, hard drive failure is a fact of life - backing up to an external drive is the only way to be safe.
Regards,
-Harlan
path
:*( ....

there are nearly 3000 folders, each one containing at least one file. ... the last 30 days i only worked on very many thought notes. but i did not find them yet. this will take weeks or more to go through each of these 3000 folders and put them back in place.

during the last 4 weeks nearly all of my thought types and the complete structure has of my brain has changed.
i loaded the last backup and it looks like stone age to my eyes....

i could zip the brain-files and send them in, but what could you recover? if the brainstructure and the notes are not recoverable... what could be recovered??
...and what is stored in the many txt's??? there are more than 3000 numbered txt's

i study information systems and i have some skills with eclipse&java and regular experssions. could i parse the structure of my brain from these many txt's??

i guess most if not all of my files do still exist in these 3000 folders, so i will recover them one by one over a long period of time... but my main problem is the structure of my brain and its notes and all the links i put in there. i dont see the many many hyperlinks i put in there. they dont seem to be contained in my 3000 folder. only the icons of the websites

if i zip everything except my files-folder, its 24,6 MB. (if zipped)
path
I've sent my brain to support@thebrain.com
...but nothing happened
Harlan
I haven't seen the files that you sent in personally, but I will find out what happened and take a look. What name (user name) did you send them to us under?

As I said in my last post, it sounds like your core database file was corrupted and may not be recoverable.

You can get all of your files from the Files subfolder of your _brain folder. The text documents are simply text versions of those documents used by the search index. These will not be useful to you. All of the metadata (Thought names, notes, and links) is stored in the database.

If your hard drive has killed the main database file, this information may not be recoverable unfortunately.
Regards,
-Harlan
path
thats what is most important to me. brain structure and thught notes. ...so its not possible to recover these from the txt's??

i've sent them in using alex\ET\twister11\DOT\de
Harlan
OK, I'll take a look and get back to you via email.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software