Rob2050
I am on a Mac, and my use of TB ebbs and flows. I have gotten more into it this past year. Lately it has been frustratingly slow. I have a 16GB Mac Book Pro and sometimes it is just crawling slow, especially when i am adding a lot of new content.

The BrainBox is a godsend. I really like being able to snag things during the day and process them later.

I use nvAlt as my daily text processor. It is super fast to search (text only) and then start typing. It supports Markdown but mostly i am plain text with bullets. It occured to me today, why don't i capture those notes in the Brain, and it is speed. I realize a plain text tool compared to the brain makes not sense, but just wanted to share.

Topic 2, For screen shots I used Skitch. I love being able to snag a portion of the screen, mark it up, and send along to people, Skitch got bought by Evernote (smart move) so now all my screen shots flow into Evernote. I don't have a good flow to get them out or to have them flow into the brain.

Speed is my biggest inhibitor to using The Brain tenfold more. It just slows me down.

Thanks for listening!
Rob.

PS - i think we should periodically share our number of thoughts and statistics:
Thoughts: about 8500
Links:  11,300
Links/Thought: 1.3
Notes: 748
NickMilner
I also use TB on a maxed-out spec 12-month-old MBP and have the same performance issue when entering lots of content. I discovered a number of pesky memory leaks, one of which is in the thought property dialog which means you lose memory quite quickly. The end result is TB steals many gigs of memory and craaaaawwwwllllsssssss to a near halt. 😉

The temporary workaround is simple - simply quit and restart. The restart process is fast (<10 seconds on my machine) so it's not too painful.

There was actually a fix for this memory leak in an earlier alpha build but it came back again a build later which was a bit of a disappointment. Anyway, give it a try and see if it helps for you.

On the screenshot front, I use TB's inbuilt feature which is a godsend imo. I have it mapped to a touchbar key - the "camera iris" button in the middle...
Touch Bar Shot 2020-08-05 at 10.16.32.png

Whenever I attend a meeting I create a meeting thought by pressing the "calendar" button (makes a new thought below the meeting series thought, names it with today's date and sets its type to :Meeting) and then if I need to grab some content from a presentation I just press the camera button, drag a box over the content I'm interested in and the image is added as an attachment to the meeting thought.

It's about as fast and convenient as I could ever need: Press the touchbar button, drag a rectangle, done! 🙂

/edit - you can also use a keyboard shortcut to access TB's screenshot feature which is just as easy and doesn't require any touchbar customisation. 😉
Rob2050
These are great tips! I have never customized the touchbar, I will have to look into that. I have not used the camera screenshot. If you have any tips on setting this up let me know.

In reading about Roam, it makes it very easy to make a Today's Date thought, does anyone have a way of doing that easily in TB?
DavidGretzschel

@Rob2050
I have the whole year prepped with day-Thoughts. It required some fiddling and setup, but I'm very happy with it. Basically it's a whole calendar thing.
Don't want to get into detail, as that's like at least one blog post.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

NickMilner
Rob2050 wrote:
In reading about Roam, it makes it very easy to make a Today's Date thought, does anyone have a way of doing that easily in TB?

The way I handle stuff like this is as follows:
  1. Create a thought to represent a series (e.g. a series of meetings, medication etc.) with an attached recurring event
  2. Switch on the timeline in order to see that event at the appropriate time. E.g. every day or every other Wednesday or whatever.
  3. When I'm ready to create a thought to represent that instance (e.g. a particular day, a particular course of meds etc.) I click on the event in the timeline (which acts like a time-sensitive pin) to take me to the thought representing that series
  4. I press the "calendar" button on my touchbar which makes a new thought with today's date, the :meeting type and links it to the series.
Steps 1 and 2 you only need to do once to set up the series. Steps 3 & 4 are very quick because the event pin is always there at the right time so it's a single click and a button press. There's a thread in the howto section where I describe the BTT script I use. Hope this helps!
Rob2050

@Rob2050
I have the whole year prepped with day-Thoughts. It required some fiddling and setup, but I'm very happy with it. Basically it's a whole calendar thing.
Don't want to get into detail, as that's like at least one blog post.

Without doing the whole post [yet!], am i safe to assume you have a Year thought 2020, then month thoughts 2020-01 January, then day thoughts under that? Or some other structure?
DavidGretzschel
@Rob2050
ah okay, fine. Have some spoilers.
You're somewhat close. It's actually a Year parenting months, parenting days-structure.
Months context-sensitive to years, days context-sensitive to days.
So the Thought for today is named:
".218 5, 8, 2020"
Also each weekday has a different color, which is done by a type.
I'm also considering using tags for every major holiday.
I have a day-Note-template that I paste in at the end of a day. Filling that out is planning the next day.
The .218 is so that I can have week and double-week views spanning months and still be properly ordered.
I could also use four digits to get the whole decade on the Plex (or more realistically have my CW 53-Thought correctly span between year at least).
This all works excellently, if it weren't for the fact, that they aren't properly searchable.

I actually want to build myself an AHK-script, that can quick-schedule for me.
E.g. I press one button and it'll move a project to be the child of the Thought in 2 weeks.
This doesn't work, because searching for the exact right Search-string, won't end up showing the correct day-Thought as the first-result. So I can't build myself quick-scheduling functionality for now *sigh*
Also it's awkward to always have to go thru irrelevant results, when I manually want to schedule.

https://forums.thebrain.com/post/bug-search-result-ranking-is-weirdly-unhelpful-10617488?pid=1312346973#post1312346973
Also there's this bug, which makes it look bad:
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/bug-weird-behaviour-with-double-contextsensitive-thoughts-6815-and-6816-10568190?pid=1311790322

I'll probably have to bite the bullet and go for the uglier "YYYY-MM-DD"-format without any context-sensitivity, but proper sorting.
I'm a bit sad about it, cause it took a lot of effort to add all those day-numbers. [though I just figured out how to make vim do most of the work and then pasted it in]

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software