SmartDust
A campaign to get a new notes editor in PB!
Please join me in raising the attention to the developer's team to get a better alternative than the current crippled third party product. Let's get rid of this piece of annoyance that throws a bad light on an otherwise excellent product. We have to protect our baby and we will not tolerate sub par components tarnishing the reputation of this excellent product. 

N3!

Best Regards

Siegfried
asexymind
question about CLB file. Why is this a dangerous file format? What about it makes you nervous? What happens if they "sack Ephox"?

I keep a lot of information in my notes area. I paste lots of images there. The images get stores in the thought folder, and when I need to copy them, I goto the thought folder to get the actual file (they won't copy paste for the most part for me).

I agree that the notes area has lots of copy/paste bugs, but I just work around it. Is that dangerous?

--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com
zenrain
It's "dangerous" because if the database is corrupted, your notes will be corrupted. This is similar to any software which uses a database, so make backups.

Notes does rely on absolute addressing for images, however, they retain their path when moving from machine to machine. I do this regularly and can see all my note images on both my Mac and PC.

I use notes all the time. I don't store huge amounts of text in each thought, but I often jot interesting text down. The only time I've lost text was due to someone *cough* having an issue with sync software.

Yes, notes may have some bugs and quirks but dangerous? That is certainly not my experience with it, and I believe the screaming on the forum would be extremely loud if it was.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
SmartDust
@asexymind:

"I agree that the notes area has lots of copy/paste bugs, but I just work around it. Is that dangerous?"

Rest my case. Why should we work around it? Either it just works or it doesn't. I understand the need to have a cross-platform notes editor but surely, this software does not cut it. Remove it, take a plain text editor (reduce the PB license fee with the savings on the third party license fee).

Best Regards

Siegfried
zenrain
The problem with a plain text editor would be when people try to export the brain as a WebBrain or SiteBrain, your note text will not be able to make the jump as efficiently. Plain text editors also don't allow any formatting, just look at notepad for an example. 
I believe the whole point of the HTML editor is so when you export to a site or web, your note text retains all formatting, and has the .css properties applied so it looks consistent.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jostber
These would be some nice additional options to the Edit menu:

- Paste to Notes
- Paste as parent
- Paste as jump

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
zenrain
+1
An option to paste/append directly to notes without having to activate them would be useful.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
SmartDust
Any suggestions for a potential replacement for the current third party notes editor?
Do the "brain" people have some suggestions?

Best Regards

Siegfried
Darkstar
Humm--- I didn't realize that Microsoft owned RTF, because I've seen that format used by several freeware and open source text editors. If the standard is open, then it wouldn't matter if it is Microsoft that arbitrates its features--- just that it is free for use.
-Darkstar
JosefBetancourt
I second the use of HTML based notes editor.  I wrote about this before at http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=2015054&highlight=tiddlywiki

Another plus for HTML is that it is a supported standard and growth (though very slow) is assured.  For example, HTML 5 even allows embedded video.

--- Josef

zenrain
Agreed, for better or worse I don't think the html editor format is going away (see here for why). 
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Darkstar

JosefBetancourt wrote:
I second the use of HTML based notes editor.  I wrote about this before at http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=2015054&highlight=tiddlywiki

Another plus for HTML is that it is a supported standard and growth (though very slow) is assured.  For example, HTML 5 even allows embedded video.

--- Josef

PB's notes are already an HTML based notes editor. It's chosen notes editor is just a very poor HTML based editor.
-Darkstar
Cornan
My immediate problem is that for single line cells Shift+End (PB / Windows) selects more than one cell (up to the whole row) instead of a cell.  For cells with line breaks, Shift+End (and Shift+Home) work correctly.

Does anybody know of a "Select Cell" keyboard shortcut for the Notes Editor (EditLive) ???

I checked the EditLive site but in my limited search I found only implementor help, not user help.

One of the main reasons I bought my two copies of PB is that I can attach Notes to "anything".  This is an important feature and should be given a higher priority until it reaches some "plateau" of functionality.

For example, there are problems with long wait times (up to a minute or more) and PB-specific features such as hyperlinks to thoughts have been requested as well.  I would like keystrokes for maximizing Notes, too (I just found the Esc un-maximizes them).
zenrain
Sorry, the closest I could find is from the right click menu Select > Select Cell.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software