bkonia
Currently, when you have a list of attachments, you have to click on each attachment to preview it. I'd like to request the ability to navigate the attachment list using the up/down arrow keys.
DavidGretzschel
I was just about to write "You don't enjoy using the default ctrl+q/ctrl+shift+q? I found it a bit unintuitive, as I wanted to use ctrl+tab for a long while and kicked myself out of my current Brain, but it grew on me.", but then:
I tried doing this with Attachment in List View and it doesn't work there for my surprise.
I think arrow-keys wouldn't work well, because you need the arrow key already to navigate between lines in a text-note.
But I don't understand why ctrl+q/ctrl+shift+q does not work.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

bkonia
@DavidGretzschel, the action should be context-dependent. For instance, if the notes pane has the focus, the up/down arrows would of course navigate within the note. However, if you select an attachment in a list of attachments, the intuitive action for up/down arrows would be to navigate the attachment list. 
DavidGretzschel
How would you establish the "list navigation"-context?

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

bkonia
@DavidGretzschel, context or focus is a built-in feature of all GUI-based operating systems. If you click inside a note, the OS knows the note text has the focus. Likewise, if you click a note or any attachment in the attachment list, it knows the attachment object (not the text) has the focus. Since the attachment is an object of the attachment list, it's simple for the program to determine the correct action for up/down arrow is to navigate the attachment list. Trust me, they could implement this easily.
DavidGretzschel
So you'd want to click a list using your mouse with your right hand, only to then move your right hand back to the keyboard on the arrow-keys and use them then?
And if someone were to click an editable note with multiple lines, the user might reasonably expect to be able to immediately use down-arrow, too.

Of course it's not challenging for the program, but the logic and behaviour have to be thought through first. So.... would you?

--
---
---

bkonia
Quote:
So you'd want to click a list using your mouse with your right hand, only to then move your right hand back to the keyboard on the arrow-keys and use them then?
Yes, that's correct. The mouse wheel could also be enabled.
Quote:
And if someone were to click an editable note with multiple lines, the user might reasonably expect to be able to immediately use down-arrow, too.
Not sure what you're referring to here. If the user clicks within the content of an editable note, the up/down arrows would of course navigate within the note. If the user clicks an editable note in the attachments list, it would be treated like any other attachment, so the up/down arrows would navigate the attachment list.
DavidGretzschel
[I hope this is easy enough to follow, a bit sick right now and can't really read this twice and restructure]

Well, I was worried about the case where a user would manually click a .md-file and not know that new behaviour.

But I just tested multiple .eml-files (non-editable) and multiple markdowns.
At the moment the behaviour with clicking an attachment from a list is a rather incoherent mess.

If the Plex was focussed clicking the Attachment-list will still have a Plex-focus which is very unintuitive.
So I click up arrow and all of a sudden I see another Thought's attachment (if update upon hover/focus-highlight is enabled).

If the Notes area was focussed, clicking the Attachment list will have two cases:
if an non-editable Attachment (like a .eml-file) was clicked before and then a .md-note was selected, 
there will be no focus anywhere. Using up/down arrow simlply won't do anything.
A dead context. And I do agree, that they're bad (and that there's too many of them in TheBrain).

However (and this is probably a very common case), if I have Content-focus and the editor is focussing on a note,
the user who would want to click another note and not know your proposed behaviour could be frustrated, since in that
case down/up-arrow would already have it's normal effect.
You could make it uniform, so that an editible attachment never has text-cursor focus, but that would probably annoy people,
who don't want to navigate up/down, but just want to edit their notes fast.
They'd all be forced to do one extra mouse click.

Personally I don't use the List-view, because it's not easy to navigate (and also spacewasting).
But you don't think that extending the effect of Windows>Previous/Next Tab to work on List-Attachments as well, would be the more elegant solution?

In general terms, I agree with you that theBrain doesn't really have enough different execution contexts/very little if any overloading of commands.
[also commands can only have one keybinding, and a keybinding can only be associated with one command, which is rather silly]
So there's a Selection>Delete/Unlink/Paste and a Thought>Delete/Unlink/Paste. And we have 200+ commands.
I haven't really wrapped my head around that problem completely, though. Sometimes this is actually helpful, but it's very unintuitive.

@metta You use List-view, what do you think?

--
---
---

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

Wish I could provide some helpful feedback on this issue, David, but I don't do much with the arrow keys or keyboard shortcuts.

I know it would be (should be) faster if I did, but I don't have the tenacity or perseverance you have for troubleshooting all the keyboard shortcut issues. ðŸ˜‰

And yes, for my purposes, the list view is still preferable.
DavidGretzschel
But would it annoy you greatly, that if you clicked an text attachment you wouldn't get immediate text-input, though?

--
---
---

bkonia
Quote:
However (and this is probably a very common case), if I have Content-focus and the editor is focussing on a note,
the user who would want to click another note and not know your proposed behaviour could be frustrated, since in that
case down/up-arrow would already have it's normal effect.
You could make it uniform, so that an editible attachment never has text-cursor focus, but that would probably annoy people,
who don't want to navigate up/down, but just want to edit their notes fast.They'd all be forced to do one extra mouse click.
The current behavior is inconsistent:
  • If you have a non-text attachment selected, then you click on a text attachment, you have to click inside the content area to focus it for editing.
  • If you have a text-attachment selected and your content area is focused, clicking a different text attachment will immediately focus the content area for editing.
  • If you have a text-attachment selected and the the content area is not focused, clicking a different text attachment will not focus the content area.
In my view, it would be best to keep the attachment list completely separate from the content area, so yes the user would have to click in the content area to start editing. I don't think that's a terrible inconvenience and from the UI perspective, it provides an intuitive and consistent result. When an attachment is focused, you can perform operations on it, including navigating to other attachments using the arrow keys. And when the content area is focused, any operations would apply to the content area.
metta
But would it annoy you greatly, that if you clicked an text attachment you wouldn't get immediate text-input, though?
 @DavidGretzschel ~

Yes, it would be an annoyance, but I'm not having that issue at this point -- at least not with a quick test this evening.
DavidGretzschel
No, that would be the result of bkonia's feature request being implemented, as he described it. (as far as I can tell, anyway).

--
---
---

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software