anonymous
Hello,  I've decided to get the pro version with premium web integration.  I don't know how I managed without PB in the past.  

According to the faq, " Upgrades to any new major release (e.g. from 5.X to 6.X) made within 6 months from your intial date of purchase (not including upgrades) are also free." 

My "issue":  I have a HORRIBLE memory, hence my need for PB, and I know I will probably forget to upgrade if I wait until the trial is over before doing so.  I'd rather not wait until after my trial is over before I upgrade, just in case there are problems with losing pro access.  (From my many years of software QA experience, I know bugs pop up when you least expect them and I'd rather not introduce another variable if I can avoid it.)  If I upgrade now, will the 6 months of free upgrades really start now or does it take into consideration the pro time remaining on my current trial?

Thanks!

And yes I realize I can set a reminder, but I have a habit of not paying attention to them.
anonymous
I'll assume no response means it really does start when the person pays.  
mcaton
M,

This date range only applies to major releases (4 to 5, 5 to 6, etc.)  Yes, the purchase date is what is being tracked, but there is no sign of a PB7 being released any time in the near future.

Thanks,
Matt
anonymous
Thanks for the follow-up!  
jostber
mcaton wrote:
M,

This date range only applies to major releases (4 to 5, 5 to 6, etc.)  Yes, the purchase date is what is being tracked, but there is no sign of a PB7 being released any time in the near future.

Thanks,
Matt

But will there be a PB6.5 released in the near future?

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
stormwolf0
Hi,

Matt,

Would be interesting to know about some estimative for 6.5 release, as well for the immediate next version (would be 6.1 ?).

Could you indicate which features/directions are planned for the soon future (at least some general lines)?

Personal Brain is really a great software, of those with so vast use and meaning for his users , that`s very important to know what`s upcoming (and approximately when).

Such information helps users to plan their own uses and direct his efforts with PB, like workarounding some currently missing features in the software (enhanced link types, structured data, timeline, task/project management features or integration, api/macro support).

For example, about the upcoming and long awaited feature "node types with structured meta data" (a very important enhancement to Personal Brain's database capabilites): An expectative for the release certainly would influence some decisions by users, like waiting for the feature release, or building an external database, or workaround internally in Personal Brain to handle with structured data fields. This is my own case at moment, trying to find the way...

This is the last info we had about this feature (from uservoice):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The underlying architecture for structured data inside of Brains is now working in our development labs.

Harlan Hugh Harlan Hugh Admin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be very helpful if the brain team could publish a general roadmap for a few Personal Brain's next releases.

Thanks,
Wolf

jostber
I agree with you Wolf that a roadmap and timeline for releases would be most helpful for the users and also a good way to promote PB. For some reason the PB responsible have stated many times that a new feature will never be announced before a new update is released, and there will never be a roadmap for new features. In essence that means the PB users will never know what is happening until after it has happened. That seems to be a strange way to release updates, especially regarding bug fixes. To publish plans for an application with a roadmap is quite common, so why that is not possible for PB is not sure.

jostber
An interesting and detailed article on roadmaps here:

http://hubtechinsider.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/what-is-a-product-roadmap-what-is-an-engineering-roadmap/

Harlan
Version 7 is in beta now. You can see what's coming and try it out now at http://www.thebrain.com/products/desktop

With regard to sharing future plans generally, the problem is that they can (and usually do) change. We can't tell you what's coming and exactly when both because it's a secret and because we don't know for sure. If we were to tell you XYZ is coming on such and such a date, that's a sort of promise that we will likely have to break. We need to be able to make decisions based on what's happening now, what what we promised in the past.
Regards,
-Harlan
stormwolf0
Hi Harlan, 

Oh, the coming of version 7 beta is a very very nice and welcomed surprise!   Especially due to the enhanced link feature , that's a precious addition to Personal Brain (now TheBrain). Really cool!  

About the publishing of software release's plans and dates, yeah i understand your point of view, we all know that sometimes project scenarios are so "volatile" that`s difficult to assume any promises... 

Altough, a "general and expressally subject to changes" roadmap for future releases would be really interesting.   
Of course without promises (like especifying which release or date),  just general current directions...

Please, could you tell at least if the data structured feature (which is marked as "started" in uservoice) is to be included in a soon release of version 7 beta? Or even in a later version 
Including this feature along with enhanced links, version 7 would became fantastic! 
I have some some data in that which i cannot yet handle in my brains or workaround with an external database. So any feedback will be much appreciated as it would help to choose follow one aproach or other... 

Hi Jostber, 

Thanks for pointing that great article!  

I've been out of posting in the forum for a while, so i didn`t answered you before. 

Now we can all enjoy  the version 7 beta with enhanced link feature...  instead of a version 6.1 or 6.5... Not bad.... 

Regards, 
Wolf

Harlan
Hi Wolf,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear you like the enhanced link features.

Regarding the structured data features: Yes, we have started work on this and have much of the underlying code working. However, the user interface for creating, editing, and managing fields for thoughts is rather complex and has been taking longer to complete than expected. Also, once fields are working, the basics are really just the start - there is a lot more to do - it has to sync, be searchable, copy and paste, support undo and redo, and so on. What may seem to be a simple addition quickly snowballs into a large project... In any case, we do intend on implementing this, just not yet...
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software