mcaton
Now that I have your attention... I'm thrilled to report that we have been developing an all new Notes Editor for TheBrain. We've been hearing your feedback and requests for updates to the Notes Editor ever since the last major overhaul was released in v9. This new editor will be a flagship feature in TheBrain 11 and we couldn't be more excited to get it out to you all. It's internally written code, giving us far greater control and has been designed specifically for use in TheBrain. We don't have any feature lists or dates available quite yet, but I will share more as soon as I can.

Matt
kbunders

That's wonderful news!

I hope your development team will look for inspiration at modern note taking app features such as in Notion.so.

Dell XPS 13 9343 | Windows 10 1903 | TheBrain 10.0.50.0 Pro License 
Laptop screen resolution 3200x1800, scaling 175%
Secondary screen resolution 3840x2160, scaling 125% (set as main display)

iPhone 7 Plus | 256 GB | ios 12.3.1 | TheBrain 10.0.3.1
mcaton
I'll be sure to have the design team take a look!

Thanks,
Matt
reasonablekamikaze
Woohoooooo
BobBlum
Hurray!  (And, thank you so much for responding to our feedback.)

Really looking forward to TB11 and the new notes editor. ...  Bob
Cerebrum
mcaton wrote:
It's internally written code, giving us far greater control and has been designed specifically for use in TheBrain. 
Isn't the current Notes editor based on "internally written code"?

Two and a half years ago, Harlan wrote this:
Quote:
If it was possible to take an editor off the shelf and get it to do all the things we need it to do while still being in control (able to fix bugs and rely on it into the future), we would have done that. While we are leveraging as much pre-existing solid foundation work as we can, TheBrain's notes editor has many requirements that make it impossible for us to use any existing editor off-the-shelf.
Harlan
As I said then, the notes editor in TheBrain 9 (and also 10) used "as much pre-existing solid foundation work" as we could. A bit of history if I may...

We have had 3 generations of the notes editor since we started. Each of them started with a basic editor that was then customized for use in TheBrain. TheBrain 1.0 to 3.0 utilized Microsoft's Rich Text Edit Control. 4.0 to 8.0 used a product called EditLive. 9.0 and 10.0 use an embedded browser running a very customized version of TinyMCE.

We are not satisfied with the browser-based notes editor in 9/10 for several reasons. As evident here on the forums, there are many small issues and some not-so-small issues that add up to a less than stellar overall experience. Additionally, speed and reliability have been an issue, with some users (such as Koen) being consistently unable to use notes properly. Many of these issues are extremely time-consuming to troubleshoot and indeed some have proven unassailable.

After weighing the risks and potential benefits we decided to attempt to create a new notes editor completely from scratch for the first time ever. Fortunately, we have been successful far beyond our initial hopes and expectations. As a result, the new notes editor in version 11 will not be based on an embedded browser nor will it utilize any third party editor as a base. More importantly, we believe it will be faster, more reliable, less "quirky", and more powerful.

We want notes to be a core strength of TheBrain and once version 11 is available I hope you will all agree that it is.
Regards,
-Harlan
BobBlum

Thanks so  much, Harlan.  That history accords with my guesses.  (And, I'm so glad you're moving on from the embedded browser that has been so slow and so troublesome.  (I assumed you'd been forced to adopt that to ease cross-platform portability.))

Incidentally, I myself am a great fan of rtf based editors, eg  Wordpad, as opposed  to Word.   (Notepad is too bare bones;  Word is too elaborate, but Wordpad is just right.)  That's a vote for speed (key press to display should be instantaneous) and relative simplicity (a la TB8.)  (I'm sure my fellow users will have lots of feature requests once your first version of TB11 is revealed.)

Thanks again for keeping us informed,  

Best wishes,  Bob

Cerebrum
Harlan, thanks for your candor and for resolving the apparent contradiction.
Harlan wrote:
More importantly, we believe it will be faster, more reliable, less "quirky", and more powerful.
When will we find out if that belief is justified? ðŸ™‚
ruudhein
mcaton wrote:
I'm thrilled to report that we have been developing an all new Notes Editor for TheBrain

<wipes eyes> and here they say men don't cry. 

That's beautiful, man.

And I love the pace at which development is going. To me, this makes a subscription really worth it.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | PrintFriendly | TheBrain v10.0.50.0
Cerebrum
A few features that I hope are part of the new Notes Editor:
  • View Notes in separate window
  • View Notes and embedded browser at the same time
  • Change font size for selected text
  • Tables
  • Paste text from OneNote and Excel (instead of an image
reasonablekamikaze
It's been a month since any incremental release—which is unusual.

Does this mean TB 11 is around the corner!? 😍🙌😏 Or at least, all attention is on it lol.
jasont
I'm hoping that copying and pasting will retain formatting better in v11 than it did in v10.  I have been disappointed so many times by v10.  In order to retain formatting, I routinely needed to open Microsoft Word, paste copied text into Word, then copy the text from Word into The Brain.  When text was copied and pasted directly into the v10 notes editor, the formatting was either lost or messed up.   

Seeing this post gives me hope. 
vmilhoan
Please include the ability to add checkboxes to individual lines in a bulleted list. Pretty please 🙂
galenmenzel
My preference would be to use plaintext notes with a markdown preview, but I get the sense I'm very much in the minority.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software