mcaton Show full post »
mcaton
Metta,

Never a headache and always helpful - just so we're clear!

🏆

Matt
metta
@mcaton ~

Thank you, Matt. Kind of you to take time to confirm. ðŸ™‚
eeik
metta wrote:
@eeik ~

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much, Eric, for your kind words and generous feedback. ÃƒÆ’ƒÂ°Ã…¸ËœÅ 

To be honest, I'm a huge fan of TheBrain, and I just hope all the testing and bug reporting I'm doing will be a help (and not a headache) for TB team...

You're most welcome @metta, thank you for your diligence! I too am a huge fan and quite often feel I'm more headache than help to the team myself. Cheers to aiming for betterment in all its forms 🥂

PS, not looking for a response Matt 😉 ... I'm in this for the long game and will obviously keep filing issues to improve the product.

drruth2
Matt,
The backlink idea would be really super.  There used to be a program titled Note Studio in the Palm Pilot days.  It was great for linking notes and it used the backlink to do this.  Maneuvering around was really easy.
bot__bot wrote:
Regardless of the ultimate choice of format (Markdown vs. HTML), I want to strongly advocate for:
  1. Retaining the current arrangement whereby each note is stored in a separate, plain-text file (rather than all stored in some centralized sqlite database as is popular these days for notetakers). For me this is one of the BEST thing about TB, and it would be saddest thing in the world to lose it. It is the reason TB is so much better than every other mainstream notetaker out there. Everything you write in TB is **exposed** to whatever text tools you have already. You can use your existing grep tools to do global find and replace just by pointing them at the relevant Brain's folder (can you do that in Evernote/Onenote?). You can edit those notes directly with 3rd party tools (e.g. I often use SeaMonkey's Composer to edit Notes.html) without even opening TB (can you edit Evernote notes without opening Evernote?). And you can do textual analysis on your notes directly with 3rd-party tools, since your notes are already exposed as files. No need to "export" anything.
  2. Giving users the ability to use custom .css stylesheets. I feel that this is a feature that should be relatively easy to add even to TB10 as it currently is. All it would take is to store the Notes styles (Classic, DelRay, Draft, etc) not in some encrypted/compressed binary file, but in plain text files in a dedicated folder under the main program folder, as is conventional for many Windows softwares. The users can then just add .css files to that folder or edit existing styles. It doesn't even have to be an officially supported feature!

Edit: another thing that would be really nice to have is a "what notes link to this thought" feature (i.e. backlinks). Currently the only way to do so is to search for the (short form of the) GUID ...
Dennis Ruth, CISSP Retired
Aerospace Scientist
Computer Scientist
Lieutenant Colonel (Ret) US Army
Professor (Ret) National Defense University
 College of Information and Cyberspace
drruth2
A caution from the program management world: of any three parameters you usually can deliver on any two.  Choose carefully!

mcaton wrote:
Fast, simple and reliable - check!

Matt
Aerospace Scientist
Computer Scientist
metta
drruth2 wrote:
A caution from the program management world: of any three parameters you usually can deliver on any two.  Choose carefully!
@drruth2 ~

Enjoyed seeing your wise word if caution since we run into this all the time with clients (owners) in the construction industry who want it all:
  • top quality
  • on time
  • within budget
drruth2
For what it's worth, I had an application that ran on a Commodore 128 (years ago) that had collapsible outlines.  I've truly missed that over the years.  Since most of my use was in government environments, external applications that supported such a feature we never a priority.

lunatrix wrote:
This is wonderful news. I can't believe I missed the discussion - I've been checking in frequently to find out about updates.
Delighted to hear about the new notes and can't wait to see what has been done. I know I am too late to add a new suggestions but ...

I'd love to add a vote for a good collapsible outlining feature (ideally, like Dynalist or Workflowy).
In general I am with those who prioritise the notes being simple, clean and fast over rich and pretty, but I've got so used to the wonders of quick collapsible outlines I find it hard to write without them!

Thanks again and looking forward to version 11!
Aerospace Scientist
Computer Scientist
metta
FYI, I just now confirmed (again) that notes created in TB10 will break in the web client simply after syncing them from within TB11, even if there has been NO interaction with the notes editor in either TB11 desktop or the web client.

As you will see in the note on the preceding link:
> The horizontal rule now displays as an asterisk and a dash.
> The bold highlights are now displaying as Markdown syntax.
> 3 of the 4 embedded links are now broken.
> The text no longer fits within the note frame. (Later: Temporary glitch apparently now resolved.)

Many other thoughts are also displaying problems with the line wrap disappearing between lists of links.

Details have been provided in help desk ticket 72213.
drruth2
@metta,
I just checked several notes in a Brain I've developed for teaching a 20th Century World History course to homeschool high schoolers.  None of them are experiencing any of the issues you call out.  This may be that when the Android TB was delivered with functionality reasonably similar to that in the desktop I moved to TB 11 and deleted TB10 app.  I've always kept the data files on a drive other than the program for technical issues the drive size.
Respectfully,
Aerospace Scientist
Computer Scientist
metta
@drruth2 ~

Thanks for the update, Dennis. Glad you are not running into any of the aforementioned issues.

However, I'm not sure I understand how deleting TB10 app would make a difference in terms of how a v10 brain displays  and syncs in TB11.

Could you please clarify when you have time?
drruth2
My apologies for the delay.  Though experience (both in DoD work and personal home environments) I've learned to isolated and older environment from the new.  The simplest for the move from TB10 to TB11 seemed to be to delete the TB10 desktop environment. Based on my reading of Harlin's and Matt Caton's posts it was pretty clear that the data structure created in the move from TB9 to TB10 was effectively retained intact. That left the initial problems being reported as attributed to the TB11 application.  My other criteria was an improved Android client TB and specifically, that the Notes functionality on the Android was effectively mirroring that of the desktop.  I've communicated to TB developers on several occasions that bringing the Note functionality on the Android (I don't use iOS) and the desktop into parallel should be a priority.  I view TB as a productivity tool to enhance thought "capture" and when spare moments are available, to flesh out the spur of the moment capture and add additional embellishments, usually as "jumps" to related topics, or children of the topic initially captured.  So, with the Android and the desktop (PC in my case) seemingly reasonably stable, I moved totally to TB11.  I didn't have to delete anything on the Android as the update process "killed" the previous version. On the desktop, even though I had isolated the new environment, occasionally the PC environment has on occasion managed to have some cross boundary issues left in the registry or buried elsewhere, so my practice is to backup, kill old version, reboot, install new, reboot, restore data, backup to an isolated copy.  It is sometimes painful, but not doing so has occasionally presented problems.  Of course, being a frail human, I on rate occasions manage to mess up my sequence and suffer the consequences.  When the underlying data structures are changed, this described process leaves enough fall-back points to enable recovery.  Of course I have old war stories to support some of this, but those are for another time and place.

I hope this is sufficient explanation.
Aerospace Scientist
Computer Scientist
metta
@drruth2 ~

Thank you, Dennis, for taking time to share your feedback and clarification. Unfortunately, I do not have enough tech experience to even be aware of registry issues....and I am not using either of the mobile versions of TheBrain.

However, I do appreciate your recommended sequence for creating a clean install of TB11: 
> "backup, kill old version, reboot, install new, reboot, restore data, backup to an isolated copy"

Right now, I'm actually quite happy with the overall performance of the TB11 on my desktop. It is really only the web client display issues that have been a concern for me....so, if turns out these display issues are actually isolated to my unique web client connection, then I certainly will give your recommendation serious consideration.

In the meantime, I plan to do more web client testing in the days ahead with:
  • content imported from TB8
  • content generated in TB10 and opened in TB11 and
  • new content generated within TB11.
This should give me a good basis for evaluating the display in the web client -- and, if necessary, sharing more data with TB support team.
metta
drruth2 wrote:
I've always kept the data files on a drive other than the program for technical issues the drive size.
@drruth2 ~

This just now caught my eye....In the past we were not able to move the data files to a new location on the new platform, although I did do this with my v8 brains.

Will definitely look into this now as an additional security measure.

Thanks.
vnomad
Amen the lifetime award motion 😉 Metta rocks!
metta
Amen the lifetime award motion 😉 Metta rocks!
@vnomad ~ Wow! Thank so much, Dagfinn! ðŸ˜Š ðŸ™

Very mind appreciate your generous feedback and vote of support! ðŸ˜

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software