teamaitken
I see that you have added Thought URL's, and I see that they create something that looks like this:

brain://8ECC0E8C-01FB-5ABB-3259-54F25EE4F39E/80E2E8D1-6B00-ADC6-AAFB-6C45D8C87D2E

But how do we use this?  Can I use this from Firefox?  Can I start another instance of PB with this on the command line?

Any pointers on best practices would be greatly appreciated!

David Aitken
zenrain
The feature is mainly so you can add hyperlinks to thoughts in PB from other documents. For example:
  1. Right-click on a thought and choose Copy Thought URL.
  2. Open a word document (or any document that allows hyperlinks).
  3. Highlight a word and add a hyperlink as you would normally in that program (in Word ctrl+K).
  4. Paste in the URL from PB.
  5. Now you can ctrl-click that link and it will open PB and activate that thought, or if PB already is open will make the linked thought the active thought.
You should also be able to pass from the command line, or anywhere else you would usually reference a hyperlink.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
teamaitken
OK - but for us Linux folks - if I already have an instance of PB running, when I fire up PersonalBrain brain:/.... from another program, it complains about a port conflict.  Is there a way that it will identify that an instance is already running, and use that one - or is there a way to tell PB to start with a new port number?

Which brings up another question - what ARE the command line arguments to PB under Linux?

Thanks - your product is absolutely amazing:  and I am especially impressed by your development energy in the last few months on 6.0.

David Aitken
Harlan
Thought URLs On Linux

Thought URLs only work from external programs under Windows automatically. For Mac and Linux, Thought URLs can be used inside PB's notes and as attachments. On Linux, if you pass a Thought URL as a parameter to PersonalBrain, it will open that Brain and go to the Thought.

When using FireFox under Linux, you can register the brain:// protocol to make it launch PB by following the directions here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol

Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Thought URLs on the Windows Desktop

Under Windows, you can put Thought URLs anywhere you can be a normal Web link. As zenrain describes, you can put them into Word and other documents (HTML, Excel, PowerPoint, etcetera). You can also put them onto the desktop:

1. Right-click on the desktop and select New > Shortcut.
2. Paste the Thought URL.
3. Type the name you want to use for the shortcut.

(Thanks to Matt for the idea.)
Regards,
-Harlan
teamaitken
Thanks everyone.  You almost have this feature nailed:  now if we can just cross-link thoughts between brains in the Linux version I'll be ecstatic!

David Aitken
Harlan
Cross-linking thoughts between brains is supported in all versions (including Linux). The only thing that is not supported on Mac/Linux is links from external (non-PB) programs.

Regards,
-Harlan
topps
Works well. One small point - if PBrain is already open, the jump to the linked Thought occurs, but PBrain is not given focus/brought to the foreground - so the user may not realise that the link/jump has occurred.
teamaitken
Nice job folks - cross-linking between brains works flawlessly under Linux, and greatly improves flexibility.

Now how to get to all of this juicy brain data from outside?

David Aitken
bmac
Quote:
Works well. One small point - if PBrain is already open, the jump to the linked Thought occurs, but PBrain is not given focus/brought to the foreground - so the user may not realise that the link/jump has occurred.

Yes - I agree.  The first time that I tried this, I thought nothing happened.  So, it would be nice if the developers could force focus to the brain.

Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software