rogerwalk
I am working a lot with the Notes text and was not happy with the Ver<=8 text processor. The Ver9 text processing is clearly improved, but apparently some of the valuable features of Ver8 have been removed/replaced. I am missing (or have not discovered) the following features in Ver9:
  1. Easy reformatting of text sections/words with "Remove Formatting" and then formatting freshly. This would particularly help to remove indents and paragraph/line break line space extensions.
  2. The format copy brush!
  3. A stepwise "go-back" for editing.
  4. The button for "underline".
  5. A button for indenting or outdenting (it is now in a submenu).
I am also struggling with the new "Insert Link to Thought" function. Once inserted into a note text it cannot be easily deleted, modified, or shifted around. It apparently runs havoc on the surrounding text and I have to delete the whole paragraph that contains such a ling if I want to modify something in the paragraph. This is especially tedious around the blue link icon that seems to attach itself irreversibly into the text. 

I am looking forward to a moderators comments or, even better, "fixes" in the next updates.
Roger
Harlan
Hi Roger,

Glad to hear you like the new notes area.

The notes toolbar collapses less used commands into submenus when there is not enough space. Make the notes area wider and more buttons will appear and the submenus will eventually disappear.

1. "Remove inline formatting" command on toolbar
2. Not there yet.
3. Ctrl/Cmd+Z
4. Make notes toolbar wider or press the button to show additional commands (this is where you will also find #1)
5. Again, make notes toolbar wider

Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
Roger, if you use notes vertically (on the left or right) rather than horizontally (stacked) here's a use @JBaty shared that I really like.

I keep notes on the right hand side, taking up about 1/3 of the total screen area so I can easily read them but giving the Plex the most screen space.
However, if I'm going to be modifying notes quite a bit, or want to read them I double click the splitter line. This swaps the plex area with the notes area, so now the notes takes up 2/3 of the screen and the plex 1/3. This simultaneously gives me more room to read/write and expands the toolbars so all the buttons are available and not condensed into a dropdown. 

After doing this a while I've found it gives me the best of both worlds. [smile]

Edit: Also in Preferences > Keyboard I think all of the menu options can be given a shortcut. I haven't assigned everything a shortcut yet (I try to only learn 2-4 in a month to help cement them in memory and haven't gotten to the notes yet), but if you are a heavy notes formatter it would definitely be worth investing some time in setting these up.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
rogerwalk
Thanks for the helpful tips JBaty and zenrain [thumb]
I am still craving the format copy brush [frown]
Roger
mcaton
There have been many updates to Notes since this thread was originally started.  But I'm excited to announce that new customizable Note styles are on the way!  This feature is working now in macOS version 9.0.142 (available now on the alpha channel) and should be working in the Windows build soon.

Thanks,
Matt
rogerwalk
Re 4 - Underline button
Thanks for letting me know that the underline function is now in a submenu as a menu toggle. So it is available, but ..... really that "hidden" and requiring knowledge where to find it plus two clicks? Why not the ubiquitous U button as in the banner here and in TheBrain8 Notes? There seems to be enough space in the banner for another button.
Roger
zenrain
Rogerwalk, that function is also assigned a keyboard accelerator in Preferences (it's currently ?+u). [smile]

Harlan/Matt/Patrick - I think there's an opportunity for improvement in the notes button expansion/contraction state. Currently there seems to be a condensed state and an expanded state. In my case where I usually have the notes is more than the condensed state, but less than fully expanded so there is blank space:
NoteToolbar.png 

I don't know that it's a 9.0 request, but it would be nice if there were interim states so more buttons appear depending on the available space.

Edit: Sorry, Taking this back now. After more testing I realized there are more than 2 expansion/contraction states and it seems to be fairly logical on which ones get revealed first. Never mind. [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software