JosefBetancourt
Tag Clouds are increasingly web 2.0 technology seen on many sites and blogs.   Brain users will see the resemblence with the PB plex.

It may be useful to employ a new TagCloud view in the Brain.   The resulting view could be used as an alternative to the reports window, for example. 
  • The same reports controls can be used to dynamically alter the cloud.
  • Expanded cloud view would show an expanded view with the predominent cloud thoughts already expanded.
  • Export to HTML or XML.
  • Optionally click a thought in the cloud will revert to expanded or normal view.
--- Josef Betancourt

punkmonksf
And would the size of the thought in such a cloud be determined by the number of other thoughts that link to it? I can't imagine a thought that has more than just a few links so I'm not sure what the purpose of such a view might have other than be interesting for a bit.

What might be more useful is a "thought type" cloud that can show by size the number of thoughts in a brain that are of a particular type.

Karekin

JosefBetancourt
That was implied in my post.   A tagcloud or TextCloud is a weighted structure so any criteria can be used to determine the size and/or color of a thought in the cloud.   I also mentioned that the existing report criteria could be used, such as date accessed, but more might be useful: most accessed, created, most links, most attachments, etc.

What I don't is like simply arranging the thoughtcloud by thought name.  One solution is presented in an interesting paper out on the web on using linking and analysis technigues to make tagclouds automatically provide a plex-like structure.  The attempt was to make the presentation order also provide information.

Good links on cloudshttp://www.joelamantia.com/blog/archives/tag_clouds/text_clouds_a_new_form_of_tag_cloud.html

--- Josef

tcahill
JosefBetancourt wrote:
Tag Clouds are increasingly web 2.0 technology seen on many sites and blogs.

Some months back, I was posting some thoughts that seem relevant here, although I was working more from a perspective that thoughts need to support multiple thought types.

Thoughts in a plex can have numerous interpretations based upon link context. A thought-type might make perfect sense in the context of one set of links, and be quite innappropriate to another set of links, but both sets can co-exist in the same plex. This creates an otherwise unnecessary effort to come up with a thought type (or thought type scheme) that will work for both sets. To get around this, I suggested that thought types are most meaningful in relation to the thought's links, and that
tcahill wrote:

PB might benefit if thoughts could have an unlimited number of thought types as properties, and if the thought type displayed could be dependent upon the link type context.

What would that look like? Perhaps a thought might have a small cloud of thought/link type properties hovering about it, with each property in proximity to the link for which it is relevant.

I'm quite interested in the suggestion of another view, my approach was to augment the existing views. I also see more examples in Josef's second post above for the value of both an intelligent plex space and an attribute database:

Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
JosefBetancourt
tcahill:
You wrote, "PB might benefit if thoughts could have an unlimited number of thought types as properties, and if the thought type displayed could be
 dependent upon the link type context."

I wonder if this is similar to the new "tagging" phenomena.  In this case, the tags could surface based on the link type.  In contrast, in the current social web, tags are all over the place whether relevent or not.

-- Josef

Harlan
Lots of interesting ideas here. FYI, we are planning to enable a much more sophisticated tagging capability to PB in the future. Other views will also eventually be forthcoming...
Regards,
-Harlan
JosefBetancourt
Just saw an interesting tagcloud generator and a gallery:  http://wordle.net/gallery

Drawback of this one is that one can't save the results for reuse.

-- Josef

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software