RobOK
I am sure I will learn this over time, but trying to learn some basic concepts.

For concepts that are cross cutting, how do i set up links to both organize information but have cross links.

A basic example:

Books has children of :

Books I Love
Recommended Books
Reference Books
Next Books To Read
All Books I Have Read

But then under Photography, or Self Development, or other topical Thoughts, I want some of those same categories.  Do I create a new thought under Photograhpy called "Photography, Books" ?

How do i find the intersection of Next Books To Read and Photography, as an example?  Is there a way of finding Thoughts that intersect two given parent Thoughts?

I suspect I am missing something basic.

Cheers,
Rob.

PS -- I used PB 3 many years ago and am now finding my way back!

EDIT -- or another example, a list of Restaraunts, then broken down by cuisine, some might be in  my home city, some not.  I can figure out some structure that makes sense but how do I find the ones that are linked to Italian, and linked to Washington DC and linked to My Favorites?

dyslucksia
Hi Rob, welcome to the forum.

Try creating a new "Thought tree" for each system of classification, then cross-linking, so a child Thought may have two parents. Context-sensitive naming also helps here.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
zenrain
Rob, 

If you have multiple Parents for the same child, you can use the shift-click method in this post to find all the child thoughts that belong to two parents. 

In 5.5 you do have other options than parent thoughts though. One idea is creating tags. For example, you have a local restaurants parent, and a list of your restaurants below. You can assign favorites as a tag. Then go to the Washington DC, Restaurants and ctrl-click the gate thought to highlight all the Washington DC restaurants. Now go to your Italian Cuisine thought and you can see all the Italian restaurants children. Those that are in Washington DC will have a dotted line around them. Finally, if your Favorites tag is visible in the plex, you can see which of the highlighted thoughts also contain your favorites tag.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
RobOK
Zenrain,

That is along what I was looking for.

How do you Shift Click if both parents are not on screen at the same time?

Thanks,
Rob.

zenrain
Generally I  use the Normal - Expand All view so I can see the parent of my child thoughts. Then I shift-click from there.
You can also use your past thought list, or pinned thoughts. 

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
RobOK
Past thought list is probably the most convenient.  Navigate to thought 1; Navigate to thought 2 through search and then both 1 and 2 are visible.

Maybe I am missing something, but that seems key to me to be able to discover hidden connections....  exploring how groupings of things intersect.

Thanks for your tips!

dyslucksia
Instead of using Past Thoughts list, which is pretty limited as to what it can display without scrolling, try keeping Reports open against one side of the Plex, set to filter by "Date activated" and this can function as both a Pinned Thoughts list and a Past Thoughts List. There is now a keyboard accelerator for Refreshing it
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software