eller0001
Greetings All --

I am a new PB user and have a couple of questions that I have been unable to find answers to within the forums.

1.  Is it possible to link directly to Thought from another program? For example, I use MindManager and I would like to be able to create links between topics within MM and PB. Is the GUID a way to do this? If so, how would the hyperlink look?

2.  Do you have any suggestions for creating timelines. For example, I do a lot of historical research, and I would like to have thoughts under U.S. History -> 20th Century -> 1930s -> 1930, 1931, 1932, etc.  As this structure develops, I will also have similar structures for European History, etc. Will it create confusion down line if I have all thoughts under 1930 for example or should I create separate timelines under each general topic?

3. If I inadvertently create a duplicate thought, is it possible to merge the two duplicate thoughts without having to physically moving all of the child thoughts from one to another and then deleting the duplicate thought.

Thanks for your assistance!

Chris

dyslucksia
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

1. No. Although PB can import MM maps, that's not what you want to do. Many of us would love to call up a specific Thought in a Brain from an external application, but for some reason PB's developers have been very reluctant to allow this to occur. It's not even possible (officially) to call up (activate) a Thought from a link in Notes. PB also can't activate a Thought in another Brain. We live in hope and like to be surprised.

2. Many members in this forum have expressed the wish to be able to create a timeline, as you'll no doubt discover if you search the forum and also UserVoice. I've posted my best solutions to this problem here, but if you want to do it in the Plex, you will probably need Outline View.

3. I'm not sure why you would want to merge them, unless it is to get rid of duplicates. By your description you seem to have created two identical Thoughts, each with duplicate dependent children. Forget about merging. I would suggest to start at the one you want to throw away, click Edit > Crawl Brain, tell PB to crawl childwards the required number of levels and it will add all those Thoughts to Selection. Check the list and then Forget or Delete them.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
zenrain
Questions 1 and 2 are actually the highest requested features on Uservoice.

If you haven't done so already, please add your vote.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
danielm
For the third question, if I got your problem right, this sometimes happens to me too, especially when I build my thoughts bottom-up. Scenario: I add a web link, then want to categorize it by assigning a parent thought such as, let's say, Movies, then I add some more child thoughts to Movies and finally, after some days, I discover a thought called Films that I had forgotten about. Obviously the two should be merged.

What I do in this case is ctrl-click the child gate of one of them, say Films (to add all children to selection), choose Edit->Unlink selection (breaks the links between Films and its children), then navigate to the other one, Movies, and choose Edit->Link selection as children of. Same can be done with jump and parent links.

Other than that, there isn't any way of having two "merged" thoughts.
eller0001
@dyslucksia -  thanks for the link Bottom line, it looks like there is no perfect way to create timelines in PB. I will continue to play around with my current structure to see how it works (or doesn't work).

@zenrain - I just cast my vote. Thanks for the link.

@danielm - This is exactly the problem I am trying to solve. Thanks for the tips!

Chris

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software