kpatelPub
I would like to be able to put hyperlinks to other thoughts in the text of my note.  Clicking on them would go to the thought, much as it does when you click on a search result. 

I need this to work in the exported html (non-simple) version as well.

I want to avoid using absolute path hyperlinks because they would break if I exported to a separate location on disk.

Wishlist: I would also like to be able to put words in the search box with a link similarly.

Thanks for your help!

--
kpatelPub
zenrain
Quote:
I would like to be able to put hyperlinks to other thoughts in the text of my note.  Clicking on them would go to the thought, much as it does when you click on a search result.

Currently this isn't possible, but it's a much requested feature. You can add your vote on uservoice at http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/70766-linking-brains

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Darkstar

dyslucksia wrote:
I agree with zenrain. It should also be possible for one instance of PB to open another instance of PB at a particular thought.

If they ever succeed in getting the Notes Editor to talk nicely to the Plex, The ability to create hyperlinks in Notes to other Thoughts in the same or, better still, a distant Brain will make PB better as an agent for creating mind maps and concept maps. However, you should use this tool with great caution otherwise you'll end up confusing yourself.

For example, it's all very well to go from a hyperlink in middle of a large Note to a Thought. But then what is equally needed is a way for a Thought to point to a specific location within a Note, like a bookmark. Until we get bookmarks within notes this will continue to be an unworkable pipe dream.

There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for PB not able to open a new instance of PB with a specific Brain file, and a specific Thought. Thoughts have a GUID, which makes it trivial to identify which THOUGHT in a brain should be selected as the active thought in the plex. So all PB would need is to take two parameters on the command line, one to specifiy the brain, and a second to specify the thought GUID.

So we end up with:
PersonalBrain.exe -b:"Test Brain One" -g:F5DFAB96-CAC5-8EB7-B560-DD430219AC69

where:
-b = Brain Name
-g = Thought GUID

We could even have a third parameter which would allow human readable thought names. Something like:
-t:"PB Forums"

where PB would look for the first thought name that matched whatever followed the -t.

I can understand that their Notes tool, being a licensed product, cannot do Wiki--- but it really should. If I was a member of the PB team, I'd constantly bother the team about DROPPING the mostly useless Notes component they use, and use a Open Source Public Domain Wiki tool, with a customization that would allow PB users to Wiki thoughts. Then PB would have a GREAT Notes tool that would allow users to jump to thoughts in the same brain by use of simple Wiki naming and linking.
-Darkstar
zenrain
The idea is that the link would be defined by the thought GUID, rather than the thought name (on the Details window).

This means that the thought name can be changed and not break the hyperlink. Of course, it will still be broken if you delete the thought, but that would be expected.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Julian2008
Quote:
It took many hours of work when I was using TreePad to manually edit links in both directions.

This reminds me of Connected Text, a superb desktop wiki system that does take care of updating any change of links within its database(s)/project(s). Also renaming or deleting a Topic (Thought in PB) causes Connected Text to rename (or delete, if necessary) any link that points to that Topic, including the ones within its notes in order to avoid broken links.
Julian
Julian2008
Quote:
although I did find its black and white "plex" a bit stark the last time I inspected it.

You can change the color and font of the navigator (and of almost any other part of the many tool windows CT offers (and hides when not used).

Quote:
Do you use both this program and PB?

Yes. Although I love PB - amongst other things because of its perfect autocompletion feature - I do much more with CT, because it is so extremely flexible and powerful, it is much more like a "Personal--Notetaking-Navigation-Database-Report-Tool" that BTW does have an editor that deserves this denomination.
But - as I said - I love PB too ... and I use it on a daily basis as my "nerve center" that manages almost all of my data (from Onenote, Evernote and even of CT) since I can jump from a PB thought to any of the data units/documents within the other programms mentioned with just a mouse click. That's superb.

Julian
Julian2008
Quote:
Does that mean you are able to link to a single page/document in CT from PB?

That's it! This method is called - as far as I know - URI-Linking (Live Link). This way a thought in Personal Brain lets you jump exactly to the document/single page in CT, but also in Evernote (at least in version  2.xx). And in OneNote you can even define an anchor to a specific paragraph or line. Just paste that URI-Link as "web link" into a PB thought so that clicking on that link in PB brings you directly to this paragraph in OneNote. Keep your data where it (they?) belong(s) to and make them accessible via Personal Brain. The fine tune searches and reports within my research notes are then done in Connected Text.

Julian
Kirby
Is there anything equivalent to ConnectedText available for Mac OS X?
--Kirby.
Darkstar
ConnectedText is a "Personal Wiki" tool. So if you go hunting for "Personal Wiki" Mac version/available, you should be able to find something. You might need to try out a few to find one to your liking.

You can find info about personal wikis at:
That should be enough to get you started. Good luck!
-Darkstar
zenrain
I haven't tried ConnectedText, but VoodooPad is a well respected personal wiki software for the Mac.
I use it when I need more robust notes than can be handled by PB's tool, and it can also create a direct link to a specific page so you can add it as an attachment in PB.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Kirby
Thanks for the replies.
VoodooPad is a very nice piece of wikiwork, but it doesn't, to the best of my knowledge, have the wide feature set of ConnectedText. The full outlining, the heading styles, and the version-tracking were what caught my eye.
--Kirby.
garykg
Julian (or others who have used PB and ConnectedText):

Thanks for the great ideas.  Is it possible to 'export' connectedtext to external site, just like PB?
Darkstar

Yes. ConnectedText exports to txt format, HTML files, and HTML Help format.

-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software