mnolte Show full post »
HanBav
I'm not shure to report the same issue or another:
Found two notes that have the content of another note (= of another thought). Since I switch very seldom between brains it could be another reason. The content of the original note is no more there = I can't find it with search.
Since the thoughts are quite far away of each other I don't think it could have been the "hovering" notes mismatch reported somewhere else.
I hope I will find some more information about context.
Just wanted to report it here asap.
Will switch to the newest version next days from 5028.
... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
HanBav
dyslucksia, thank you for the information about the stomach.
Thus notes are frightening me for more than only one reason.
I will try to use the "attachment-notes". But I feel, shining up while hovering with the mouse over another thought is quite important and handy. 
On the other hand maybe this CLOB would make it more simple to replace the notes editor than having the information separated with each thought?

zenrain
Quote:
So is a black hole.

That's a singularity...

I have a feeling that moving notes to another attachment would decrease PB's performance, especially when browsing thoughts with large note files.

For Mac users, quicklook would be a good substitute if it's a single attachment and if they implement a quicklook shortcut (fingers crossed). I think Windows 7 may have some sort of similar functionality, maybe once that's released they will incorporate that into the Windows version.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
HanBav
dyslucksia wrote:

Try another experiment if you're using PB Core or Pro. Create some thoughts with text files attached as icons, reduce PB to the left half of your screen, double-clicking the Plex to hide Notes (and all other Tools), then let your text editor occupy the right half of the screen, just like a PB Notes' floating window. See if the pleasure of using a proper editor compensates for lack of preview mode. I'd be interested.

Good idea for bigger or very important text.
Has the advantage to show more than one note at a time. And having the ability to copy from one to another.
But still not the same for very quick adding some information to a thought. And not so easy if more than one attachment is at a thought.
I will try it for a while to get used to it. Since I use Jarte, maybe I will extract some of my more important notes when updating them anyway.
Thank you for this work around.
It is much better than this deep silence in theBrain team.
Darkstar
I don't buy it.

With the speed of modern machines, especially for Disk IO, I don't think a human could NOTICE the slow down if each thought kept its text in a text file (like PB 1 - 3 did), and read that in when needed. The original PB managed it without it being noticeable on mid-level machines. Am I to believe that PB 5, in this more advanced time, cannot manage it?

A CLOB is not going to be any faster then accessing a text file directly--- except where you are looking up multiple text records in the same CLOB and it doesn't have to buffer through significant portions of the CLOB. Ultimately, it is all just files on the disk, and PB does a lot of data reads, one way or the other.
-Darkstar
HanBav
Since we now know what to do :
Any idea how to address a specific location in a big text-file. Like jumping to a anchor or hyperlink or main headline in an outlined text. Maybe triggered by a macro of macro-express or some other miracle? It would be like: Open text file x and jump to y (if not by "link" then by searching for a "key-word")
What I am dreaming of : several separate (big) text-files for different subjects inside my brain. This would have the elegance of brain to navigate combined with the security of one text file that I could print or export easily. And this would still be a documentation that could be read by a person without brain .
One example is a documentation of electric infrastructure that resides besides many other documentation inside my brain.
To put it in other words: Up to now this documentation is spread up to many small notes-text-items in many thoughts. And I see no possibility to export or print them at one piece.
Another advantage would be: search and replace for this whole text-file.

jostber
Here is the version number for EditLive in PB 5036:

licensee="THEBRAIN TECHNOLOGIES"
                product="EditLive for Java"
                release="6.0"

Is this the newest version?

http://www.ephox.com/products/editlive/whatsnew6.7.html

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
jostber
Here is the full list of bug fixes and new features:

http://releases.ephox.com/category/editlive

HanBav
customers and partners of ephox do not include thebrain. Maybe it is not an important deal for them?
jostber
Seems like version 6.0 must be pre-2007:

http://releases.ephox.com/category/editlive/page/7

hock
Working with Personal Brain (PB) has been amazing -- I've had PB since 2001 -- and it is most painfull to have to read this threat and that it has taken all these years for us users to identify that at the very heart of PB's fitness for the purpose lies a storage bug inside a stomach that can not be trusted to have maintained information without throwing away data and loosing our valuable work supposedly stored safely in the PB notes.

Before reading this threat I had not questioned if the PB architecture for notes was sound. I thought notes do what it said on the packet and so had not acted when occasionally observing that a note was sometimes showing empty even though a string search for the (not displayed) note string in all The Brain clearly demonstrated that the note had not been deleted as strings from the lost note remained stored somewhere in PB database. This has been replicated and confirmed by doing a search for a string (which is no longer displaying in an empty note). A string of letters that were in a suddenly empty note still continue to appear but only in the search results list summery.

I am still on PB4 and I can also confirm that last week there has been observed the disappearance of notes immediately upon switching of brains and a finding that valuable notes had suddenly disappeared.

We users experience a real massive vulnerability to data loss which renders all versions of PB not fit for the purpose.

I know and appreciate how hard Harlan is is always working.

I would urge Harlan to post a fix for PB4 users since they too have valuable work at risk of data loss due to the notes storage bug located at the core of the PB data access and storage architecture.

Eugen
hock/london

Win7pro, PB 7.0.4.5, J - 1.7.0
jostber
I wonder why the PB team has not implemented a more recent version of EditLive, which probably has corrected some of the previous bugs in the Notes add-on.
zenrain
Quote:
The main problem with Notes is the way it "handles" blank lines/carriage returns/paragraphs, in both import and export. OK, that should have been fixed long ago. But why hasn't it? I can live without Expanded View, but I can't live without Notes or an equivalent.

It's because it isn't actually an issue with the notes editor, it's an issue with the .css coding they had to implement in the notes.css file so when 3x notes were converted to .html code it would display correctly.

P {
/* set the margin values to 0 for single line spacing */
margin-top: 0pt;
margin-bottom: 0pt;
}

Without that code, every line break in an .rtf file would be treated as a paragraph break in the transfer. The best way to stop this is to set the margins to 0. However, for actual .html coding, this causes (as we've found out before) that it makes paragraph tags be treated as just line breaks.

Now it's a catch .22. If you remove that code and have notes that you have formatted to show correctly with the code in place, everything will look off. If you keep it there, <p> tags won't behave as they should in .html code, and exporting text will not honor the correct format since most people revert to multiple <p> tags to mimic actual paragraphs.

Edit: added a few missing words for clarity.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
HanBav
dyslucksia wrote:
Hannes, PB's Notes editor already does that for you. The maximum size of an Apache Derby CLOB is 2 Gb. The problem is not whether we should do it ourselves (no advantage in that, IMO), but how we can persuade EditLive!s developers (Ephox) to recognize that PB users have a big problem with their software, and modify it accordingly. I think I would be happy to use Notes provided it allowed us to store our information as plain text or rich text, instead of HTML, AND got the blank lines and carriage returns right.

first: thank you for your elobarate answer.
I think, I did not pass over my idea:
I make a lot of documentation for various parts of my life and business. Some of these should be readable by persons without "PersonalBrain" (remember my joke). The possibilities to export parts of brain in a kind of outlined text are still very limited - at least they were the last time I had a look at posted some problems with it.
So I look for a way to write information to a text file in small portions. Or to an xml-based thing like DITA maybe. But the text file would do it if I could refer to brain-thoughts and vice-versa.
In other words: Having the "necessary condition" of a linear text in a sequence defined by me and the "sufficient condition" for a perfect documentation bei additional links inside pb.
I remember a question of a new user last year about using brain for writing a book. This is kind of the other side of the coin: Either work inside brain with (small) text "atoms" clearly assigned to one thought and "stream" it out in a sequence by some rules. (like xml can be processed by xsd, css, xsl). Or write the text-atoms in a sequence first and join them with "their" thoughts. And work with both at the same time using two applications.
Sorry that I could not put it more simple. Seems to be an old dream of mine. And pb touches it. But does not fulfill it yet.

Darkstar
HanBav-- you are talking about Text Chunking! Which, PersonalBrain really sucks at.

In the old versions (3 and earlier), all text notes were stored as seperate files--- so it was actually possible to text chunk in it, and then pull the chunks together to share. A lot of work, but possible.

In our current version, I'd think the only way you could do this would be to do a mass select on all the individual thoughts that had the textual info you want, copy them, create a new brain, paste the thoughts into it, adjust any links between thoughts you would need, and then export the brain into Simple HTML format (one file, but it is all hyperlinked with anchor jumps), a Site Brain (to let people access it online somewhere--- but you'd have to put the site brain file on some host), or possibly export it as PB XML and then importating that into something that can actually understand it and let you create a more monolithic (and traditional) document out of it. I don't know if Open Office or Word would be useful for this--- as I've never needed to try it. (knock on wood)

Anyways, good luck with what you need. Other tools is what I'd recommend for text chunking--- and I'd just create a shortcut to those tools or their file (and so let PB act as a "instant launch" for that file and its app).
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software