Spacenexus
Please can we have a toggle button on the notes toolbar that can be activated and deactivated to lock and allow changes to Notes. This prevents any accidental changes to certain static information and adds a layer of information protection.

thanks

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
zenrain
Good idea!
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Dryopithecus
This would be a very useful feature!
Spacenexus

Nudge

@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
RichardB
Perhaps the Toggle Button could be made into a three-way switch? I find, all too frequently that I've added something to a Note and then, at the last moment see that the cursor happens to be resting over some other thought in the plex, so I've inadvertently added the text to the wrong thought's note. In this case one can correct the error. Much worse when one doesn't notice in time. Then, days, weeks or months later you access the thought to which you inadvertently added the note and find this completely incomprehensible note that means nothing at all in the context in which you find it. But where should it have been? Who knows?

Maybe this is not a problem for touch-typists but, regrettably, I'm not one.

So my suggested modification to Spacenexus' button is a switch (or equiv) that can be at:

-- Modify any Note (the current situation)
-- No modifications (per Spacenexus)
-- Modify Active thought's note only (my suggestion)

Possibly the UI tab in Preferences would be an acceptable place?

RGB
Spacenexus
An excellent suggestion as i've often found myself editing an unrelated sibling or other thoughts.

I would suggest keeping the edit / lock toggle on a per thought basis and adding a separate toggle option on preferences for Edit Active Thought Notes Only.

Good one.

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
zenrain
I really like the edit active thought suggestion also. Especially given the fact that you can now open notes windows separately on non-active thoughts (I would think the notes lock shouldn't be active on open notes windows, presumably the user opened them for a good reason).
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
edwardrios
Thumbs up to this excellent idea.  I have also found myself editing the notes for the wrong thought. 
Windows 7
Java 1.7.0_25
TheBrain 8.0.1.4
Spacenexus
Zen

Quote:
I would think the notes lock shouldn't be active on open notes windows, presumably the user opened them for a good reason

Actually, that's almost precisely where I want the notes lock active. Some information i've placed there as archive data to read, transcripts of meetings etc. I particularly don't want to accidentally edit some of these notes. If i do, then it's off with the lock. I just realised you're referring to the popup notes windows as opposed to the notes panel in the arranged windows. I still think that if you've locked that note you've locked it for good reason too! There might be a (admitedly diminishing) scenario where I have 4 notes windows open, 3 of them locked reference and 1 for editing. If i had thought that info important enough to lock, then I would accept an unlock for editing. The vast majority of my notes would not be locked, only a few dozen, so for these it would be important.

I guess we could have a preference feature for that too!

best

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
zenrain
Good point, for some reason I was thinking "notes lock gone wild" with all the notes locked and not able to modify with the notes window open. 

Now that you raised the point that you would only want to lock notes on a few thoughts, I can see that it would make sense to toggle it off even after opening the notes window. 

Thanks for clarifying.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Spacenexus

Added a feature request on uservoice: http://thebrain.uservoice.com/forums/4597-thebrain/suggestions/2322965-enable-notes-lock?ref=title

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software