dshefferman
I just realized that somewhere in the last few weeks (perhaps coinciding with the upgrade to v5.5.1.9?) notes on my thoughts have all disappeared! 

I've only been using PB for a few months now, but I've put a LOT of stuff in there, and have been heavily relying (and loving!) it.  But this seriously hurts.  What is the best way to attempt to recall these, or is this info lost?  (and how do I prevent this from happening again??)

Anybody??

Thanks in advance.  

Edit: I just took a chance and 'rebuilt' the database.  All notes seem to have been restored.  Thank you, PB, for great error recovery!!  Any suggestions though on how that might get corrupted again in the first place, so i can prevent it?

The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is that I use Memeo Autosync, which syncs my hard drive to a backup USB drive.  Could there be a read/write conflict there which causes issue? (Memeo seems to be pretty good about not trying to read if a file is locked and in use)

SamCox
From Memeo Autosync's webpage I can't figure out exactly what the product does, but if it does bidirectional synchronization between your computer and a backup device or another computer, you do not want to use it with PersonalBrain's files and folders. With such applications, you will almost certainly have brain problems — e.g., mising links, missing internal files, thoughts once deleted reappearing.

-- Sam

zenrain
To add my .02 cents, I had terrible luck with software sync solutions, and had multiple instances of losing my notes, notes being mixed up, or losing sections of my brain.

Hmmm, a classic case of software mimicking reality...

I think the large amount of database files and constant file read/write access makes it tough for most solutions to get everything correct. I'm sure the user who was playing around trying to get things to work was responsible too, but I won't mention any names.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
dyslucksia
Could the fact that PB uses absolute addressing for everything play a part here? If locations are linked by relative addresses, they should be able to be moved with less trouble. But I admit this is largely conjecture.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
JasonN
Memeo AutoSync is a bidirectional sync.  Memeo AutoSync will override a file *only* if it is safe. Memeo AutoSync will consider a sync to be unsafe if a file has been modified on both locations since the last sync. In such cases, AutoSync will make a copy of the file using a different name

Were you able to find what caused the issue in this situation?

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software