jperegrino
Hi,
Sometimes when I type into a note, each time I press a key I get what looks like a small input field inserted, with each field labeled "meta".  I sort of feels like I triggered some feature (or hidden feature).

I haven't figured out a way of getting out of it when it happens.  I seems like backspacing plus some combination of ESC works or clicking into different windows in TB and then going back into the notes window.

-James
-- Mac Brain user since v1.x 8,678 thoughts and counting!
zenrain
I've noticed this also, I think I've seen it mainly after I've pasted in some text (possibly from e-mail or a web site) and then modified it.
I've taken a look at the code when it does it and there's usually nothing particularly exciting about it. I don't think switching to another thought and switching back resolves it, but it's been a while since it's occurred. Closing and re-opening TheBrain definitely fixes it.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
andreas
I get the same "meta" field from time to time. I haven't figured out what triggers it.
zenrain
Screenshot!
When I go into code view it just shows <p></p>. The screen periodically refreshes removing the meta tag. Typing in the notes window again created the meta tag thingies.
metaimage.png 
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
Thank you all for posting.  James, are you able to resolve the problem by opening and closing TheBrain as Zen recommended?

If not, I'd like to see if we can get a sample BrainZip where this issue can be replicated. I've been unable to replicate it yet inhouse.

Thank you,
Matt
Kriggel23
When I get those meta-tags, I just select all, cut and paste it. (Mac: Cmd-A, Cmd-X, Cmd-V)
et voila: all I typed in so far is back, no more meta tags if I enter additional text ...

And even I get the meta tag again: an ESC and copy/paste will help. No need to restart TB.

Kriggel23
pthompson
This issue has been reported as a bug. Thank you all for reporting.
zenrain
It's a meta bug.

Hahahahaha wheeee... Ok I should probably go outside and get some fresh air.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
danlandrum
This is still a persistent problem. Quitting and restarting makes it go away, though this not the same thing as solving it. ;-)

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
pthompson
Dan,

Thanks for the update. I will check with our engineers on this first thing Monday.
mcaton
Just wanted to provide an update on this issue in case anyone is still tracking it...

Currently, as Patrick had mentioned, this is a known issue with the Notes area of TheBrain.  We're working towards a permanent fix and I have a few options to share with you that could minimize the occurrence of this issue while using TheBrain in the mean time.

First, we currently use a third party software for our Notes editor in TheBrain called Ephox and this is where the problem lies.  There are many different ways to format text through HTML, meta data, etc. The notes editor does it's best to interpret all of these different formats, but sometimes it is not 100% successful as you have experienced.  Cutting and pasting from multiple, disparate formats and sources can lead to this problem. You may want to click on FILE > OPTIONS > PREFERENCES in TheBrain and check the box on the GENERAL tab that says "Copy/cut/paste notes as text always."  This should strip out the hidden meta data whenever you are pasting in new content to the Notes.  You may have to go back and re-format the text a bit afterwards, but you'll eliminate the "meta" error from appearing.

Another option is to paste the content you have on your clipboard into the Brain as normal, but if you see the Meta error - delete the text and then click on EDIT > PASTE SPECIAL... > PLAIN TEXT in the Notes tool bar.  This is another method for stripping out the hidden meta data, but only on select content.

As I mentioned, we are actively working on a permanent fix for this issue that will be included in an upcoming release.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software