neal_h
I'm in love with personal brain. From the start personal brain has fit my personality and thought process like a complimentary jigsaw puzzle piece.

There is just one concern I have. I have a desktop pc at home, there are two desktop pc's in geographically distinct locations either of which I may be working at on any given weekday, and I don't have a blackberry or other such mobile device. Is there a way I can nonetheless access and modify a single personal brain from every computer?

I'm imagining hosting it on my website and password protecting it, or something like that. Is that even possible? Is there a better way?
thank you for your time,
-n
SamCox
If you're looking for simple way to move the brain to/from any PC with a copy of PB4 already installed -- a way that does not require carrying a portable device -- then I may have a method that works. It will also serve as an online backup.

The method is based on the free and anonymous http://drop.io service.

1) Prepare a copy of your brain in BrainZip format.
2) Go to the http://drop.io website.
3) Read the instructions and then create a "drop" with a memorable name (e.g., NealsBrain). Add a password if you like.
4) Upload the BrainZip to the drop.
5) When prompted, create an Admin password. You will not get another chance to do this.

Okay, now you've uploaded your brain to a website that only you know about. You can access the site as http://drop.io/NealsBrain, and you can download the BrainZip from there. Later, you can upload a modified copy, and delete older copies.

Drop.io provides 100MB free of charge. It is entirely anonymous in that they don't ask you to register or even provide an e-mail address. If the free 100MB isn't enough for you, you can create additional drops, or purchase an upgrade to 1GB for $10.

If this is not attractive to you, look into JungleDisk.com for a more complete and fully automatic online backup solution of unlimited depth. JungleDisk is cross-platform front end software for Amazon's S3 (Simple Storage Service) product. S3 charges $0.15 (15 cents) per 1GB per month of storage, plus 20 cents per GB of traffic. My entire brain collection as well as most everything else on my HDD is backed up nightly using Jungle Disk. I like it. The JungleDisk software is not free; there is one time $20 charge after which updates are free for life.

In summary, for large backup chores, I would choose JungleDisk. For accessing small (< 100MB) sets of files from many computers, I would choose drop.io. I am sure other forum members will recommend their own favorites.

Hope this helps,
-- Sam

jeffkowalski
I use FolderShare (www.foldershare.com) to synchronize my brain (and other things too) across all my computers (mac and pc).  It's free, easy to set up, works across firewalls, and doesn't require that data be stored in a central spot (instead it replicates changes automatically).
Please note though that you cannot synchronize "running" brains.  PB doesn't deal with its data files changing "beneath it" while running, so be sure you're viewing your brain on only one machine at a time.

Jeff Kowalski
FransJehoul
Hello,

I use a Western Digital Passport 120Gbyte extern hard disk.
It is very small!

I make of course a regular backup at home.

Regards,

Frans Jehoul
Spacenexus
Some nice ideas here.

I use a great solution called Logmein.com. It allows you to keep your brain securely on one computer and without any fuss or limits allows you to access it from any web enabled pc, laptop or even windows mobile!

Some links for your review:

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2117043
http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2085773
http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2045211

Welcome to the forum and happy braining

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
lunatrix
Ha - I just posted on this issue to the how-to forum! These solutions all sound good IF you are always on a high speed connection and on a computer you can install your own stuff on. Neither of these things would always be true for me.
What do you think of my suggestion of having PB specify a link to the root of an archive with all your files (which could be online or on an external disk rather than necessarily on the local disk) and having all the links relative to that root? (sorry I dont know how to link to my previous msg).
Cheers
Helen

agnor
lunatrix,

It sounds like you'll need to run PB off of a flash drive or other portable media.  PB is an actual application, which means that is has both application files and data files, and so you would either need to:

1) have PB installed on any computer that you try to use (which, in your message, you said might not be an option) and then you can put your data files somewhere accessible to each (whether online somehow or on an external drive),

or

2) have the actual program AND data installed on an external drive, and thus go with you where ever you go. 

It sounds like #2 is your better option, assuming that the running of programs from external media has not been disabled somehow on whatever computers you're trying to run it on.  If they're your own computers, this should work fine, but some work and public environments try to limit this sort of thing to protect their computers.

#2 also eliminates the need for any sort of internet connection at all, since all your stuff is right there on the external device, and loads at whatever speed the device is capable of.

There's a thread on the boards here somewhere about running PB from a flash drive.  You should have no problems (as far as I know) installing it on a portable hard drive and running it from there (assuming that all computers are the same OS, that is).

Hope this helps?

Ron
lunatrix
Thanks Ron. Yes I think that would work if you had a very big flash drive - and had all your files stored internally. I might move one day to all internal storage but right now I am looking for a way to keep my files externally so I can continue to access them with their friendly file names without having to go through the brain. So I would have my brain installed on my own (2) computers and my archive of files gets copied around to be available from either my own computer or via an external drive from any other computer. The postings under 'how to' forum talk about how you can do that by fooling PB into reading the attachment paths on different computers - and how nice it would be not to have to fool it but just to set a preference!
Hope that makes sense. Helen

Axla
I'm running PB from a USB-drive, and it is slow. BUT(!) my brain is more than 650MB!!

PB is very read/write intensive so large brains may become slow.

Other than that, PB is GREAT on a USB drive! No installs, or anything, just plug-and-play!

Axla
Darkstar
I've long used a simple winzip of my PBs, prior to PB 4, and just moved them around via external media (Micro-floppies, CD-RWs, flash drives, USB HDs) or would just email myself the zip (my home "personal" email account or my work email account). Since PB4, now, I dump a brainzip to external media, and then import that back when I get to the next machine.

If you don't want to bother with having to move the brain between machines, then you should go with running PB from a USB drive of some sort. It will be slower, but always having PB and the brains you need capable of being ran from anywhere you need would be worth it.
-Darkstar
lunatrix
Well sorry but I cant make this work for me. You mean you dont even have to have PB installed on the machine you are working on? I am trying it with an external USB hard disk and have tried both opening the brain from the external drive and copying it to the computer, and both 'opening' and 'importing' - each time it simply loses all record of the attachments to the thoughts (except the tantalising icon telling me there was once and attachment). Is this because I am working between a PC and Mac? (When I went from the Mac to the PC yesterday, as I described, I could copy the brain into the folder structure so it would read the attachments).
Or am I missing some crucial step?
Would you mind setting out in detail exactly what you do for me to follow through? I'd love to be able to get this working.
Thanks guys
Helen

Spacenexus
Helen

It is possible that your different computers are assigning differing drive letters to your external drive (also ref: http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2372273).

I don't use fruit, but on windows you can force the external drive letter with the following steps:
  • Start menu
  • Accessories
  • Administrative Tools
  • Open Computer Management application
  • Go to Storage and click on Disk Management in the left hand panel
  • You should see your drives listed in the right hand panel
  • Right click on your external drive and click 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...'
  • Click 'Change...'
  • and then choose a path letter that matches the drive letter as it appears on your mac or also force the drive letter on the mac side as appropriate
No idea if this solves your issue but worth a try.

cheers

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Darkstar
I think his main problem is that he's going between windows and macs...

Now, if he kept all of his data inside PB, I suppose that would be alright. But then he'd need apps on both his Mac and Windows machines that share file format.

Of course, he should be able to use one brain, store all his important "data" files inside the Brain, and have entries/thoughts pointing to whatever apps he needs. They will not work on the OTHER machine from where they were made(but will be in the Brain when he gets back to their origin machine). This brain could just be brainzipped, and that zip moved and imported as needed.

That's the only thing I can think of to maximize his dual OS usage. Of course, if he ran some virtual PC program on the Mac, ran Windows under that, and set it up to mirror his Windows (or ran Virtual PC on his Windows box, and ran a virtual Mac under that)... a lot of bother though.

I'd think the least trouble would be using a super brain that had seperate entries for his tools, and stored all his data internally in the brain. Anyone got a better suggestion?
-Darkstar
neal_h
Thank you for all the excellent suggestions posted here.
JosefBetancourt
I tried a different approach, using a distributed version control system to allow multiple synched brains all over the place.   I posted my steps here and my rational for it.  I don't think its a solution but it was interesting, imho.

--- Josef

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software