Dryopithecus
(Sorry for my English)

Since we have only one Notes window, if we want to view multiple notes simultaneously, we have to open notes in a web browser (via File > Open in Browser).

By default, we can't edit notes in web browser. This can be solved by paste the following code into the Firefox location bar (it seems this forum has difficulties displaying this code, please download the attached "code.txt" file instead).

You can save it as a bookmark, and assign a keyword "edit" to it. When you want to edit a web page, press Alt+D, type "edit", press ENTER.

(see: http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2008/07/edit-any-web-page/)

Later, we can copy and paste the modified notes back to PB.

But there are 3 problems:

1. The changes of notes are not saved in web browser, they will be lost when web browser exits/crashes.

2. All notes use the same html file, on Vista, it's:
file:///C:/Users/<user name>/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp0.html
So, after restarting Firefox, all notes will be replaced by the last opened note.

3. By default, notes are opened in "read-only" mode. I need to manually fire up the script to switch to edit mode.

I think these 3 problems can be solved by a Greasemonkey script, but I'm not familiar with programming, so hopeful some programmers here could help me out. Thanks!

Edit: Some minor changes.
dyslucksia
Dryopithecus, thanks for the tip. I have Firebug (mentioned in your link article) installed on Firefox but do not find it useful here. Am aware of Greasemonkey, but not familiar enough with it to help you.

It occurred to me, though, that PB allows us to have multiple Properties windows open concurrently, so why not Notes? If it can't be done, it would only be because the dual Properties windows (Tools pane and the Plex popup) were designed in-house, whereas Notes is a 3rd party product, and does not allow more than one pane to be opened concurrently - or else it would have been a true multi-tabbed editor a long time ago.

Maybe one of the developers can advise us if this is possible using the EditLive! module, to save us wasting time and effort proposing it in the forum and UserVoice?

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Darkstar
Why would the notes bother allowing that? Notes always reflect the Active Thought or the thought the mouse or key cursor is over. So having multiple panes of notes open, when they are all shifting around automatically, wouldn't be useful to the user.

Multiple Properties windows are included to make it possible to copy or move file attachments easily between two (or more) thoughts. While being able to move or copy parts of notes between multiple thoughts would be useful, you'd do that now by mousing over a thought, highlighting and copying/cutting the text, mousing over the target note and pasting. You might have to tag or pin the notes you want to move the data between, but that's how you'd do that in the current implementation of Personal Brain.
-Darkstar
dyslucksia
Darkstar is right. On second thoughts, I guess it's a moot point as to how many users would find a multi-tabbed editor useful. Notes, being a third-party product, is difficult enough to change; bugs in a multi-tabbed editor would be a nightmare with a real risk of data loss.

How about this suggestion, instead:
Run a clipboard manager (such as ClipMate or Clipper) concurrently with PB. That automatically saves anything you copy into its own "note", saving you the trouble of adding separators. If you want to edit two or more notes, edit each clip separately, then paste it back.

The fly in the ointment here is knowing which clip belongs to which note, so beforehand you should copy the Thought name to the head of the Note. Since PB doesn't do this for us, I concocted a handy little macro ([M056] Stamp Notes with Thought Name) which does this in one step by pressing Shift+Ctrl+B. I use this a lot and it's so simple the technique can be used with non-Windows OS macro applications.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Dryopithecus
Thanks for your replies.

After rethinking this idea, I think editing notes in web browser might not be as useful as I thought. After all I need to manually locate thoughts in PB and copy the modified notes back to the Notes pane. But I think it is still useful in some cases.

dyslucksia wrote:
How about this suggestion, instead:
Run a clipboard manager (such as ClipMate or Clipper) concurrently with PB. That automatically saves anything you copy into its own "note", saving you the trouble of adding separators. If you want to edit two or more notes, edit each clip separately, then paste it back.

The fly in the ointment here is knowing which clip belongs to which note, so beforehand you should copy the Thought name to the head of the Note. Since PB doesn't do this for us, I concocted a handy little macro ([M056] Stamp Notes with Thought Name) which does this in one step by pressing Shift+Ctrl+B. I use this a lot and it's so simple the technique can be used with non-Windows OS macro applications.

Nice idea. Thanks for the macro. I will give it a try when I have the time.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software