chinarut
Hi! this is my first post to these forums. Really impressed with changes since 2.x

my friend just emailed me his brainzip.

the file name is in the form of "<BrainName>.brainzip.zip"

I tried File->Open Brain... and it wouldn't accept this file.

I unzipped the file and opened the .brain file inside the resultant folder.

Is this the correct way to open up BrainZips or is there an easier way?
SamCox
On a Windows PC, a BrainZip file is created with the File > Create Brainzip command. The result is a single file named <BrainName>.brainzip. Notice that there is not another ".zip" in the name as you described.

On a PC, the <BrainName>.brainzip file can be opened in either of two ways:
  1. File > Open Brain and select <BrainName>.brainzip. You will (should be) prompted to for the directory in which to extract the brain.
  2. Double-click the <BrainName>.zip file which will also prompt for the directory.
In either case, the brain files and directories are extracted from the brainzip after which the brainzip file is no longer needed. As part of the extraction, the brain is reindexed. For a large brain, this may take several minutes.

Hope this helps,
-- Sam

chinarut
hmm - i received the file with the .zip extension - perhaps it was added.

in any case, I am on Mac OS X (thus in the Mac OS X forum so I tried to remove the .zip to see if the .brainzip file would be recognized by the application and it wasn't.

does the Mac OS X version have the association with the .brainzip extension?

the only way I got it to work was to double-click the file, it extracted to a folder and click the .brain file inside.

reindexing did take place, the brain wasn't large.
zenrain
I've noticed on the Mac you have to be in PersonalBrain and go to File > Open and point to the brainzip. It will then go through the extraction process.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
chinarut
just tried it again - the .brainzip file is greyed out in the File Chooser - only opens if you unzip it yourself and select the .brain file inside the top level folder.
zenrain
You may have to do the following:
In the finder, right click the file and choose Open With > Other.
Find and highlight PersonalBrain (you may have to change it from Recommended Applications to All Applications) and check Always open with. Click Open.

Nothing will happen, and you still won't be able to open it from the finder by double-clicking (at least in my experience), but you will be able to pick that file from finder when you choose File > Open.

At least .brainzip files are available to me, and I think this is how that happened.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
chinarut
aha - I should have read your post in full - you are right - it opens the application but does not open the data file without going to the menu.

how do we file feature requests here at The Brain?

would love to get my Command shortcuts (ie. Command-O) while we're at it!

zenrain
I think that's an issue, not a feature request since it doesn't behave as it should, so I'd post it on the PersonalBrain Issues forum. As for the cmd-o, we've been requested more shortcuts for a while on the Mac side. In fact I just entered this issue to do with using OSX to assign shortcuts manually.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software