wordmuse
When I open a Word document that is attached to a thought, and then come back to PB, the thought shows a new file of the same name, except that it is prefixed with backup of and it has a .wbk extension.

While it's mainly a harmless error, anything that clutters the interface is not something I want to deal with.

First - can someone tell me why this is happening? Is there some setting behind it?

Second, how do I make it stop? If I can't, can it be put on the road map?

Thanks.
- Bal

Tracy
Hi Bal,
Thanks for reporting this. However, I can not replicate this (yet) so please let me collect some details from you so I  can investigate further.Which version are you running? V6 or v7? OS? Are the files internal or are they shortcuts? So it sounds like you launch the attachment, close the attachment, and then return to PersonalBrain and notice this additional file? We'll do some more research on this today. Thanks! Tracy
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies
wordmuse
Hi Tracy,

Version 7
Windows 7 Home Premium
Office 10
Microsoft Office Premium

I don't actually have to close the attachment. All I need to do is change it and then save it. When I Alt+Tab back to PB, the second file is listed.

Since wbk files are backups of Word files, I thought it might have something to do with Word's autosave function, but I have that turned off.

It doesn't happen with Excel or PowerPoint.

I guess that's what I have for you right now.

- Bal

wordmuse
Problem resolved!

It turns out that Word has two places where you instruct it to perform a backup, both under Options (File menu).

The first is under the set of Save options. This is the one I said was turned off.

But there's a second one, under the Advanced options, in the Save section.

I turned it off, and now Word behaves as I want it to.

Your developers are off the hook, but I'd put your tech writers on to document it in the UG.

- Bal

Tracy
Hi Bal,
Thanks for the update on this! Tracy
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software