JJS

I've sent Support a boiled-down copy of a Brain that seemed to be missing many thoughts, which turned out to be unreported orphans.

Reporting for "All" shows this brain's orphan or parentless thoughts.

Reports that specify "orphan" or "parentless" do not. So I can't identify them in the production Brain.

Any reindexing or rebuilding from the utility menu will *not* restore the orphans to the orphans report. 

Exporting to PersonalBrainXML and then reimporting *will* correctly report the orphans.

So I think Brain needs a rebuild process that will correctly process these orphans, and perhaps some sort of self-check to trigger a rebuild, until the underlying problem of orphan creation is identified. Or perhaps a Reports algorithm that digs deeper into the raw data.

Moe
Hi JJS, Thanks for the post and providing us with your sample brain in which you experienced unreported orphans problem.  I will forward it to our engineers so that they can look into how this can be corrected for future releases.

Best regards,
Moe

JJS
Hi Moe

Note that in that sample Brain, any Child that you create and immediately unlink becomes another unreported Orphan. I do not believe some of the orphans in the production brain should have actually become orphans, aside from their not being reported.

I think this represents Thought Loss and deserves at least a 5-pronged repair.
  • Fix the recognition and indexing of orphans
  • Fix the Report algorithm to double-check raw data: don't just trust the index.
  • Orphans and Parentless Thoughts should be a pinnable Smart Thought, so that the user can check on these easily, right within the Plex.
  • There's a Rebuild Database function...another algorithm that should be independently recognizing strays but is somewhere trusting a broken database rather than building a new one from data elements.
  • Something to address the inadvertent orphaning of Thoughts, whether by the user or by the program.
 Thanks

Moe
Hi JJS, Thank you for your posts.  This will be fixed in the next release of PB.

Best regards,
Moe

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software