zenrain
Only tested in OS X so far. 
Tested with 4,823 characters (856) words of text or 72 sentences. If saved to a text file it was 8kb.

1. Created a new note. 
  2. Copied the text from TextMate (or any other appropriate app).
  3. Pasted into the text of the note. 
  4. Changed a bit of formatting (just re-tested, this step is not required).
  5. Switched to another thought. 
  6. Switched back to the thought I just pasted the text in.
  7. The thought no longer has the pasted text. It now has the text of the thought I just activated. If that thought had no note, the pasted thought will be blank also.
Update:
This gets weirder. I can't replicate with the content of other text files that are just as large. It seems to be something about the characters in this specific text file.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
Alex,

I see you sent a copy of the text to support.  We'll submit this for review from there.  Thanks!

Matt

korm
I can't reproduce this Alex.  I put my text sample (from here http://gladwell.com/trust-no-one) into BBEdit and changed the encoding from UTF-8 to various other encodings and still could not reproduce.

What happens if you paste your sample text into BBEdit and Zap Gremlins?  Does that fix the issue with pasting that text into TheBrain v9?
mcaton
I was unable to replicate in Windows - but easily replicated on my Mac.  We've documented this for further review.

Thank you,
Matt
zenrain
Korm wrote:
What happens if you paste your sample text into BBEdit and Zap Gremlins?  Does that fix the issue with pasting that text into TheBrain v9?

I love BBEdit. Thanks Korm, I had no idea about this one. 
Yes, I zapped gremlins and when I paste it into TheBrain 9 notes, it now works correctly. 

Matt, it looks like that functionality removes:
  • Non-ASCII characters
  • Control Characters
  • Null (ASCII 0 Characters)
So the issue is one of those. 

Just for further information, that document was created in Ulysses and I used the export as text functionality. /sigh.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
korm

I tried the export from Ulysses thing but couldn't reproduce again.

But I'm curious about something if Alex could test this: when the pointer is hovered over a thought, the text panel will display that thought's text after a short pause.  So if you do this test but instead of clicking the other note(s) you just hover over them, does the text mixup occur?

zenrain
I'm guessing it's related to ' or " as they seem to be converted into "pretty" characters. But I could be completely mistaken. 

I tested and no, it doesn't occur when hovering over a different thought (with the setting to update content on hover checked) and then stopping the hover. It only occurs when switching to another thought.
More accurately, when looking at the note file in the folder the issue occurs when switching back to the thought. The .html file contains the text when you switch to a different thought, its when you re-activate it that the text is removed.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
Thank you for the additional info.  I'll append this to the documented issue.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software