mctrexler
@jayofemi @mcaton

I have been sending a steady stream of support tickets in to TB for the last few months, and most of them are being lumped into an "out of memory" bin. TB says they plan to improve TB's memory management in TB12.  

That's great, but constant crashing (only one brain open, little else open) is sort of a problem, especially if I am sharing the brain with others. 

Does anyone have any insight into when TB runs out of memory, and what it is that is actually running out of memory?  Is it the number of thoughts, links, types, tags?  As far as I can tell it's not things like thought icons and files since I've reduced those by 80% and the memory errors keep on coming.  

Is my 100,000 thought, 200,000 link Brain simply too big for TB?  The whole point of TB was to be able to manage infinite information, and 100,000 thoughts doesn't actually seem all that infinite to me.  Does Jerry's Brain constantly crash (he has a lot more thoughts and links)?

But if someone could tell me how big a Brain is allowed to be before it starts generating a lot of crashes it would be greatly appreciated!

Mark
TB11.51 Windows 10
mcaton
Mark,

I'll check in with the engineering team to see if we can get some further insight.  Yes, Jerry's Brain is larger in terms of Thought count and links, but there are many other factors such as attachment count, size, notes, links, computer specs, etc. In your scenario, a 50 GB Brain is a very large database to maintain.  Now that we have a local copy for further testing, I'm hopeful that this expedite our path to a resolution. 

Thank you,
Matt
mctrexler
@mcaton

Thanks for the note. As I've mentioned, the Climate Web is no longer a 50 GB Brain, it is a 10 GB Brain.  We removed tens of thousands of custom thought icons, and thousands of files over 1 MB in size.  So at this point there are 10,000 files totaling just over 4 GB, and 25,000 thought icons totaling just over 4 GB. 
I would have thought an 80% reduction in size would alleviate memory issues, but apparently not.  That's what makes me wonder what it is that is actually in memory at any given time, and causing the out of memory problems. 

Any insights? 

Mark 
metta
@mctrexler ~ Good questions, Mark. Didn't realize you'd been having on these crashing issues and memory problems ~ and it really does seem strange that these issues are continuing with the reduced size of TCW.

As for comparing TCW to Jerry's brain, I think this may be a situation of apples and oranges. As far as I can tell, the public portion of Jerry's brain is simply a big collection of bookmarks (links), with no notes, no thought icons, no attachments, etc. So while his brain may be large, it is not really comparable to the TCW ~ unless of course Jerry is maintaining a much larger and more complex collection of private thoughts that are not visible to public users....which could, of course, be quite possible....
mctrexler
@metta  I agree that Jerry's brain is apples and oranges, but it raises the question of what is using memory.  In terms of raw thoughts and links his brain is far larger than the CW.  If he's not having memory issues then it must have something to do with attachments, thought icons, notes, types, or tags (in other words, not thoughts and links). But reducing attachments and thought icons by 80% has not reduced the crashing, so they seem an unlikely culprit.  What does that leave for what's leading to the memory exception?  Types, tags, notes? 

I'm just trying to figure out whether there is anything I can manage that would reduce the severity of the problem.   

Mark
metta
@mctrexler ~ Understood and agreed, Mark.

This issue is actually of significant interest (and concern) to me since my v8 megabrain is now bigger than TCW by almost twice ~ and the outcome of this issue for you will have have direct implications for me if/when I begin considering the possibility of moving my megabrain into a newer version of TheBrain.
mcaton
Mark,

Great to hear progress has been made on trimming down the 50 GB Brain.  Still, 4 GB is a large size, but certainly an improvement. I did check in with engineering and I'm happy to say that they are actively working on a solution to this issue.  I have no details to disclose at this moment, but I'll let you know as soon as we have a new build that believe could resolve the memory issues.  The "out of memory bin" you refer to is not a black hole, but a wealth of resources that is helping us figure this out. Now that I think about it, I guess I could disclose one detail... it's not a small task and is a significant update to the technology. Thorough development and testing is necessary so your patience is definitely appreciated.

Thank you!
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software