iceheartx
I'm fiddling with pasting outlines.

my example is below. When I paste as an outline is there any way to make sure that both a and b link to the same thought for z1?

currently when I paste this outline I end up with two z1 thoughts

Quote:

a
        a1
        a2
        z1
b
        b1
        b2
        z1
----------------------
since I started relying on the brain, I am almost incomprehensible without it.
iceheartx
I have sort of come up with a workaround.
first I paste a flattened version of the tree
Quote:

a1
a2
z1
b1
b2
z1

that creates the nodes.
then I paste the outline proper as in my original post and I hit the "link to existing" button a bunch.

I'm not a super fan of this way to do things, and additionally it appears to hang on updating thought 8 of 9.

This should be fairly simple to reproduce. Anyone have any thoughts?
----------------------
SamCox
a
    a1
    a2
    z1
b
    b1
    b2
    # z1

Pasting the above results in a single z1 thought with two parents a and b.

To be more precise, the characters pasted are:

a<nl>
<tab>a1<nl>
<tab>a2<nl>
<tab>z1<nl>
b<nl>
<tab>b1<nl>
<tab>b2<nl>
<tab>#<space>z1<nl>

where <nl> is the newline character(s) for your machine (e.g., <cr><lf> for Windows).
iceheartx
all righty, that's pretty good. So do I have to know which items are duplicates in advance of the pasting in the outline?

What I'm actually doing is translating a bunch of PHP code into a format that I can paste as an outline, so the outline that I paste is the output of a program, not something that I'm building by hand.

so the first instance does not need a # but other instances that I want to link to the same thought need a #.

ok, so just for giggles I tried
Quote:

a
        # a1
        # a2
        # z1
b
        b1
        b2
        # z1

and got a with a1, a2 but no z1
and got b with b1, b2 and z1

does that make sense?
----------------------
iceheartx
and for some reason pasting large outlines tends to hang PB for some reason. I'll have to examine further, but I've been staring at this "updating thought 262 of 286" dialog that won't go away and I have to kill it with task manager
----------------------
SamCox
Good experiment trying # z1 twice. I got the same results. I can't explain the behavior but I think that the "#" character tells the Paste Outline routine that a non-# instance of the thought is coming later so don't create a thought now.

But, really, I'm only guessing.

-- Sam

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software