mctrexler
Just noticed that the Note text in one thought had been overwritten by the Note text from another thought (all 8 paragraphs and 3 graphics).  If that is happening across the Brain that is really really bad.  Have others encountered?  (support ticked submitted).  

I had actually turned off the "Activate the displayed content on hover" since the Brain seemed to frequently be displaying the content of the wrong thought (e.g. the parent thought). Probably unrelated to the above, but could suggest some sort of thought linkage that isn't supposed to exist.  

I've turned off automatic sync so that I at least might see this happening before the error has replicated to the cloud version of the brain.  

Mark

10.0.36 Windows
metta
So very sorry to hear this Mark!

I've run into this issue repeatedly since I began beta testing TB9 over 2+ years ago, primarily in the desktop.

However, notes were also overwritten a couple of times when editing them in the web client. (I have since quit editing anything in the web client for this very reason.)

At this point, I have no idea what caused this bug in the web client since my help desk tickets were closed after being handed off to the engineering team.

However, based on my experience working with support on multiple occurrences of this problem in the desktop client, there appear to be 2 possible problems:
  1. Early on the bug was a problem with one note literally overwriting another. Sample Video
  2. More recently the bug has been a problem with the note not refreshing properly. Sample Video
You can check for yourself to see which has problem has occurred by opening the thought folder and viewing the notes.html file.
  • If the note has actually been overwritten, your original text will no longer be available in the html file.
  • If the note was simply having trouble refreshing, your original text should still be available in the notes.html file.
Either way, I recommend submitting the note file to TB Support in order for them to review and troubleshoot.

In the meantime, I share your concern about the fact that these kinds of bug are still present in TB10. This is, in fact, one of several reasons I am still working in TB8 instead of TB10. I simply can't afford to put valuable information in TB10 only to have it be overwritten. Even if the issue is simply a problem with notes not refreshing properly, it is still terribly disconcerting to have my content suddenly disappear....
metta
Also, Mark....What happened when you closed and reopened TB10?

If this bug was a refresh issue instead of an overwrite issue, hopefully your content (from the intact notes.html file) will have been restored.
metta
On the other hand, if your note was actually overwritten, you have 2 options for retrieving the lost note:

(1) You might be able to retrieve the lost note from the web client. This is only possible, though, if:
> you synced manually at a point that captured the text before it was overwritten and
> you do NOT have automatic sync turned on. (FWIW, I never use automatic sync for this very reason.)

(2) You might also be able to retrieve a lost note from a .brz file -- but this only works if you've created a backup that includes the note text that has since been lost.
> Created a new (empty) brain named "Restore"
> Imported the BRZ (backup) file into the new "Restore" brain
> Retrieve the overwritten note(s), paste them into the brain where they disappeared and confirm they are saved in the web client after syncing manually.
BobBlum
Hi Metta,

Ah, a major realization (inspired by your observation above)... here's what appears to be a huge difference between TB8 and TB10...

TB8 seems to use rtf files (or Harlan's own approximation) to store one's notes. Those are handled massively differently from the .html files that he now seems to use to store one's notes in TB10. .html files  are what are painted on the screen using web browsers (so may be easily exportable to other browsers and systems.) But (this is my guess) the use of .html files may be responsible for the occasional  bizarreness and flakeyness that you are experiencing with notes in TB10 (eg the weird persisting problem with the preview function.) BTW, I'm an amateur on this. (My son is the family expert.)
metta
Interesting observation, Bob. I know very little about the back end of TheBrain, but from my limited knowledge about html and rtf files, I suspect you may be right in supposing the notes in TB8 may be based on rtf files in contrast to the html note files in the TB10.

This might also explain why the formatting options in the notes in TB10 are so limited right now -- and it would certainly explain my strong preference for the note editing features and options in TB8.

Since some work is apparently being done now on the note editor, I am hoping these changes will be accompanied by greater stability and reliability in the note editor -- and hopefully this will, in turn, finally resolve the lingering data loss issues with overwritten notes..
metta
@mctrexler ~

In the meantime, what (if any) follow-up is there to report on the support ticket you submitted for this overwritten note issue?

The last time I inquired about this issue (which had, at the time, been recurring for me), I was told the stuck note issue had been very difficult to resolve, and it was being "left alone" in favor of working on the development of new features. ðŸ˜§
mcaton
We do believe this issue is resolved in our current build.  The problem that caused your issue of a note being overwritten may have been caused by an problem that was occurring a while back.  Or - as Metta mentioned, it may have been a refresh issue, rather than an actual overwrite.  If you do see that the content is completely overwritten by another Thought's note, and if you can confirm this has happened with content added in 10.0.36, please contact support@thebrain.com and we'll take a closer look right away!

Thank you,
Matt
metta
Very good news, Matt! Thanks so much for your update on the successful resolution of this difficult issue. ðŸ™‚
metta
@Matt ~

FWIW, I'm still running into sporadic problems with delays in the refresh rate on my notes.

The notes usually manage to refresh on their own, but sometimes it takes a second or two -- and there have been a few occasions where I had to navigate away from the thought and return to it in order to get the note to refresh.

Don't know if this issue is unique to my installation, or if others are running into this, as well -- but I thought you'd want to know.
rengel
metta wrote:

The notes usually manage to refresh on their own, but sometimes it takes a second or two -- and there have been a few occasions where I had to navigate away from the thought and return to it in order to get the note to refresh

Don't know if this issue is unique to my installation, or if others are running into this, as well ...

It happens with my installation too, albeit in a slightly different manner. This seems to be a refreshment problem of the attachments area as a whole. Sometimes, when I drag & drop a pdf file from Windows Explorer onto a thought to move the file into the brain (my default setting), the pdf file doesn't show immediately in the attachments area, but only when I navigate away from the thought and then back.
Reinhard, TB 10.0.53.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
metta
Thanks for confirming, rengel.

It helps to know the various ways this refresh bug is showing up.
jpbarragan

mcaton wrote:
We do believe this issue is resolved in our current build.  The problem that caused your issue of a note being overwritten may have been caused by an problem that was occurring a while back.  Or - as Metta mentioned, it may have been a refresh issue, rather than an actual overwrite.  If you do see that the content is completely overwritten by another Thought's note, and if you can confirm this has happened with content added in 10.0.36, please contact support@thebrain.com and we'll take a closer look right away!

I am running on latest version and this issue just happened to me today. It had appeared before sporadically  but today I lost very important information for me. The  "invasive" thought is a child thought of the affected thought. 

It happens to me both ways: while hovering thoughts (previews) and by actual replacement of thoughts.

I restarted the application but the right contents didn't come back. 
A ticket was placed at support desk.

This is really scaring because it means we are actually loosing content data here and that's very bad.

Juan Pablo Barragán
Odoo Concept
jpbarragan@odooconcept.com
metta
Thank you, Juan, for sharing this important update. I'm very sorry to hear about the problem you had with this difficult and disconcerting issue.....Will be following this discussion with interest....

In the meantime, did you confirm the data on the affected thought was permanently lost by checking the contents of the notes.html file? And did you share a copy of the notes.html file with support?
metta
It might also be helpful to send Support a copy of your current output log, if you have not already done so:
> Help > Open Log Directory > Output

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software