Joanna
I have one particular entry in my brain such that when I add children to it and then navigate to the children, none of the children show any indication of having a parent. What do I do?

Perhaps it may be relevant that the thought was originally in Cyrillic alphabet; although, other Cyrillic thoughts seem to work fine.
zenrain
I've seen something similar. Usually what I do is select all the children (so they are in the select list), then create a new thought as a jump thought of the parent. I then copy the name and all information stored in the original parent to the new one, and match any jump/parent links. Finally I delete the old parent, right click on the selection list and link all as children of the new thought.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Joanna
Zenrain, do you use Latin alphabet on all nodes?
zenrain
I do, so I'm guessing it's not an alphabet/thought name issue, I think it's that a link has been lost in the back-end database.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mbaas
Could it be a one-way connection? To check, open the parent, right click on the link and selec "Open link-window" (translated back from german UI, actual wording may vary) - there is a checkbox "one way" on the top right.
pthompson
Joanna,

As Michael suggested it might be that you are using one-way links. Just try searching for and navigate to the Thought that sometimes does not appear and look at the link (the link connecting the two Thoughts) between that Thought and the one you go to that makes the Thought "disappear". Click on the Link and your Thought tab will change to a Link tab. In this Link tab, to the right, you should see a one-way option. If it is checked, uncheck it and this should resolve the issue. If this is not the issue, please let me know. There is also a video on this (start at 48mins46secs in):

Joanna
Thank you for an interesting suggestion, but no, one-way was unchecked, and checking and unchecking it had no effect.
zenrain
Also, when you navigate from the parent of the one way thought to the child, the parent will not disappear, even if the one way is "going the other way", so the one way possibility wouldn't apply here. 

The one way thought will only be hidden when navigating from an unrelated thought. [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mctrexler
I also see this periodically.  It's not a one-way or alphabet issue - I haven't been able to find a pattern. There's just something about the occasional thought that makes it defective, leading it to behave this way.  As others have suggested just create a new parent thought (don't try to relink to the existing parent - it won't work (it's genetically incapable of having children! :-)  Once the new parent is created I've never seen the problem reoccur with that thought.  I've seen this maybe 10 times over several years with 10's of thousands of thoughts, so as far as I know it's not common (that said, I have no idea how many instances that exist that I might not have discovered yet). 

Mark

zenrain
Quote:
it won't work (it's genetically incapable of having children! :-) 

Comment of the week!  [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
FransJehoul
FransJehoul wrote:
Good morning,

I also have this problem.
Work around isn't a solution.

Regards,

Frans
zenrain
Quote:
Good morning,

I also have this problem.
Work around isn't a solution.

Sorry, are you saying the work-around didn't fix the problem? Would you provide more information?
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Joanna
Quote:
that said, I have no idea how many instances that exist that I might not have discovered yet

That's precisely what concerns me. If I am to use TheBrain as my universal repository of all things that matter to me, a proprietary technology in a proprietary format, it should at the very least behave predictably! My guess is the stability is the main roadblock preventing TheBrain from taking the world by storm.
mcaton
We'd like to escalate this issue and take a look via a 1 on 1 web meeting.  Please contact support@thebrain.com to put something on the schedule that would work for you.  If we can see the problem happening directly, and maybe copy the problem thought into a sample Brain, where the problem is duplicated, this may help the engineers to discover/resolve the problem.

Thank you,
Matt
Joanna
Just an update in case anyone is interested. After talking to support@thebrain.com, it turned out that the problem happened because Parent is a Thought Type:

"Thought Types will never display on the Plex unless you manually Search for and navigate to them or navigate to them from the Types tab."

While I am glad I have a closure on that, I am not exactly happy with this "undocumented feature". How was I supposed to know that? Other than the tiny "This is a Thought Type" indicator in the corner of the Thought tab (which I did not even have showing by default), and other than the fact that Thought Types don't normally display on the Plex when you connect them, I had no way of knowing this thought is in fact a thought type. Now that I know this, probably don't want to see this connection; but it would be nice to have thought types look and feel visually different from thoughts, no? 

Now I will use some prefix or postfix notation for thought types I guess.

Thank you for a quick response.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software