KariAnne
Hi!
I find the process of dragging URLs into PB a little inefficient, due to the fact that the thought that the URL I want to link to is not always active.
This means that the link will attach itself to whichever link is active, entailing me to tidy up by unlinking, etc.

Is there an easier way of doing this, is there something I have missed here?  If not - would it be an idea for PB to have a "parking lot" where links of this type could be lodged prior to processing?

Thanks for any help or comments, Kari Anne

KariAnne
Thanks for the very informative reply. I suspect part of my problem arises when I am browsing on the web - with no particular thought in mind and then find that this or that should be attached to PB.  Then I first have to reenter PB, activate the relevant thought, get the URL and then drag it in.  Imagine if one could just right click the URL, find some tab named "attach to PB"m in Firefox - specify thought and bingo, the URL is in place.

However, I am a very short term PB user and am still considering whether to go for PB or Mind Manager, but I guess once I get to know PB (which still has a lead) more, routines will fall into place, making life easier.

Kari Anne

KariAnne
Hi dyslucksia!

You may just have solved my frustration.  I was really keen on sticking with PB, but after checking around in the Forum and aksing questions I had come to the conclusion that PB didn't quite serve the purpose.  And MM and PB both was just too expensive.  But your suggestion may be just the ticket.  I am downloading Cmap Tools now, I just hope the learning curve isn't too steep and that I can get the printouts I want.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.  I am looking forward to trying them out! I am still struggling a little with the terminology, but things will get clearer when I start using PB more I suppose.

Kari Anne
Darkstar
re: Parking Lots for URLs

What I do is drop in the URL to the plex, I either:
A) go ahead and link the new URL to where it belongs in my brain, and then unlink it from the current "erroneous" thought, or

B) link it to a my pinned favorite thought hub (I keep my favorite thought hub as a pin), and then I unlink it from the current active thought . I need to learn the "Shift" link trick, to save me the unlinking.

Since I know what thoughts should be attached to my favorite thought hub, I can always recognize the new URLs, and then the next time I have a couple of minutes I can make the new thought structures it needs to be where I will "expect" to find it in the future.
-Darkstar
ShelleyHayduk

I disagree with the statement that "Our own internal mind maps tend to be static images" in your description of PersonalBrain. ---Cognitive science of the past decade has clearly demonstrated that human beings process information associatively and in parallel. Generally under the under the concept of Connectionism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectionism

for more of how this relates to PersonalBrain read
http://blog.thebrain.com/cogito-ergo-sum-i-think-therefore-i-am/

This is why TheBrain has many users converting from rigid mind maps and free concept software with very little data integration functionality as compared to PersonalBrain. 

With PersonalBrain clicking on a Thought Triggers all related content the same way when a neuron is fired in the cortex related pathways are activated. Making data navigation and display fluid and intuitive.

This is increasing true for generation X, Y and Z due to environmental stimulation and exposure since birth to new media such as television, Internet and video games and perhaps why PersonalBrain attracts a young user demographic as well as business users.

Furthermore, if you do need a static view, use Outline View, new in Version 5 or save some expanded views that you reference frequently.

Shelley
Darkstar
The only time thoughts are "hidden" in the brain is when they are forgotten. All of your thoughts are always there, at the "Instant Search" box. They just aren't DISPLAYED... If you know what you are looking for, just don't not where you put it, Instant Search will show you. The real problem is trying to find a thought you put into your brain, but you cannot recall it (other then a vague recollection), and you cannot recall what you had it associated with (you don't recall if it was under "Cars", "(Person Name)", or anything else--- and you didn't record enough info with it to find in any easy search).

Now, many functions of Personal Brain are hidden until you navigate your way to the correct place.

Humans don't process a lot of images well. So having a plex that only shows a few items at once works well. The issue is: Are you using the brain to help you work (or play), or as a memory tool to jog your memory? As a memory helper tool, its dynamicism is going to work against your memory. As a memory storage tool, it's search features will make sure you can find your information--- and the more you put in, the easier it will be to find that information. As a visual tool, it allows you to more easily process groups of related information (although the relation is purely what you created when you added or last worked on that information), which can help you remember old information or intuit new information (depending on what you are working with in the plex and what information you have put into it).

Personal Brain is suited for several tasks. It just isn't suited for ALL tasks. The right tool for the right task will make accomplishing your tasks much easier or more efficent.
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software