V2Belleville
Hey!

This msg refers to http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3807140. I could not follow up to that thread because the forum has apparently been closed...

@dpickrell
Quote:
I saved an icon on the clipboard, selected past icon and now the little spinning circle by the thought does not stop and the icon does not appear.  And the action to delete icon is not available, nor can I paste in a new icon.

I have had similar pb and as dyslucksia said, it was apparently due to inadequate image format.

to remove the icon you can check out the though directory (  in the Properties and attachments tab or ctrl-shift-F with the new shortcuts of 5.5 !) normally, the file that contains the icon is TheBrainIcon.png. if you find something of the kind, just delete it

@dyslucksia the version of Snap Express I am using is 4.0 but the thing is I have also occasionally had the brain freezing problem when pasting a copied image as a though icon: right click on a web page, copy image and then paste as thought icon in PB and bim! frozen.

?-|

V

PB 10.0.36.0 on Windows 7 and 10
dyslucksia
I can't offer much more help right now as I have not experienced PB freezing when pasting an image in. The difference between Snap Express and my old version of SnagIt is that in SnagIt I have to save the image somewhere in Windows Explorer, then copy it, go over to PB and paste it in as an icon.

Maybe you should try this and see if it still causes freezing.

If it does, then it points to the image as being the problem, and the next step would be to see if this happens to all the image you paste in, or only those of a particular type or size.

If it doesn't, then it points to the application you are using to paste it in, in this case Snap Express. It looks like a nice program but I have not found an English version of it. I can understand French, but would prefer to work in English. So if you know where I can find an English version, please post here and inform us. In the meantime, perhaps try a couple of other screen capture programs - there seem to be plenty around - but I think I'll stick to the one I know and use all  the time.

Hope this helps a bit.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
V2Belleville
thank you for your msg, but the question here is not about Snap express!...

as I said:
Quote:
I have also occasionally had the brain freezing problem when pasting a copied image as a though icon

that is: NOT using any screen capture tool. just copying an image in the buffer and using PB's "paste Icon feature".

if this does not happen to anyone else, it might be because the RAM (1.5G) is a bit short on my machine (which would also explain why the pb does not occur systematically) 
you would expect PB to be able to handle this without crashing, though. other softwares might get slow, they do not crash...

PS: to answer dyslucksia's question, I am not aware of an English version of Snap press, sorry ...
dyslucksia
Quote:
I have also occasionally had the brain freezing problem when pasting a copied image as a though icon

Sorry, I did not read your message thoroughly enough to pick this up. Actually freezing PB when pasting an image seems very odd and has never happened on my system. If it happens again, can you narrow it down to any type or size of image? Also, are there any other apps also running which could be interfering with PB? I would consider shutting down as many other running applications as possible, do routine disk management such as defragging, make sure there is plenty of "room to move" and try again, though you sound quite experienced and I'm sure you have already thought of these matters.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Darkstar
Where are you pasting the image? As a thought icon or into your notes?

I've seen older version of PB "pause" when pasting an image into a thought, as it copied the file down and created the thumbnail. But I don't recall seeing it ever just crash out or hang.
-Darkstar
V2Belleville
Quote:
Where are you pasting the image? As a thought icon or into your notes?

the "freezing" only ever happened when pasting a thought icon.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software