zenrain
I've found that the easiest way to capture things on the go for later import into PB is using the new Outline Import features in 6.x.

My setup:
  • iPhone / iPad (of course Android will work for this also, but I can't recommend any apps)
  • TextExpander (not required, but sure helps)
  • Text Editor App (If you use TextExpander, get one that interfaces with it, and that also writes to either Dropbox or a web site. Simplenote (web) or PlainText (dropbox) are good choices).
TextExpander Setup - Set an expansion that will automatically type "[tab]" (4 spaces) and "[tab]- ". I use tt for [Tab] and ttn for [Tab]-. If you want to get fancy, you can also set one up as follows:
Expander: pbh (or whatever you choose)
%clipboard

-%|

When you have a thought you want to enter a hyperlink for and add a note, copy the hyperlink, go to your text editor, type the thought name, hit [Enter] and then type pbh. It will insert the hyperlink and position your cursor in the correct position to type notes for that thought. You can of course get even trickier, including preset parent thoughts in the paste, you imagination and need is the limit.

Notes Application Setup: You want to have your notes app sync to dropbox or a website. That way when you are at your main computer, you can just open the site/file in dropbox and copy the text there. Now, create a file in your notes app for the PB outlines you want to capture. When you are on your phone and want to record something in PB, open that file and add whatever you want as the text, formatting in Outline format.

Outline Format: The basics for the outline format are on page 213 of the guide.
Here's some additional tips:

• You can add multiple Hyperlinks to a thought. For example, I create a outline thought for just hyperlinks and add multiple links under it throughout the day. For example:

Hyperlinks
    http://assets.thebrain.com/documents/PersonalBrain-6-Guide.pdf
    http://www.thebrain.com/support/docs/

After I paste this in (right-click in the plex and choose Paste Outline), one thought is added, with multiple links attached. You can then drag the hyperlinks out and create new thoughts as necessary.

• For multiple paragraphs in the notes, just enter a new indented line with the - in front of the text. For example:

Note to Self
        - This is my first paragraph. It can be long, it can be short.
        - This is my second paragraph. For blank extra lines do this:
        -
        - Cool Huh?

• Thoughts that have a name that already exists in PB will be linked to. For example, if I already have a thought called Today and  paste the following into my brain:

Today
        SubThought for Today
            - This is my note
        Other SubThought for Today

When you go to paste that you will be prompted that the Thought name Today already exists, and you can choose if you want to link to the existing thought, or create a new one. If you link to the existing, the two subthoughts will be linked under the existing Today thought. The existing parent thought will also be linked as children of whatever thought is active at the time. This may or may not cause issues with how you want the thoughts to appear in PB. An easy way around this is to set up a tag thought for when you paste thoughts. Activate that tag, and then paste outline. Then, after your outline is pasted, ctrl+click the tag to select all thoughts, and choose Unlink Selection from the selection box.
Once you get used to this, you can capture a lot of information quickly, and in a format that PB can import into it's existing structure. Enjoy!

Note: The formatting on this webpage will not be treated correctly when pasting into PB as an outline.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
zenrain
I've refined this a bit for recurring meetings.
On my iPhone, I'm now using Elements which is a text editor that syncs with Dropbox.
I keep a file for each recurring meeting, and the text at the top of that file is the exact name of the parent thought that links all instances of that recurring meeting. I then have a sub thought as follows:
Meeting Name (Parent Thought)
    , Meeting Name (Parent Thought)

When in the meeting, I add the date to the sub-thought before the comma and then indent and add notes below it. For Example:

Meeting Name (Parent Thought)
    2010-11-04,
, Meeting Name (Parent Thought)
        -Notes.
        - More notes.

Then, when I'm back at my desk, I open that file in the dropbox folder, copy the entire file contents and paste it into PB. It prompts me if I want to link it to the existing thought, I do. The new meeting and notes are added in PB. I then go back to the text file and delete it so it's just the text from the first sample again, and it's ready for the next meeting. 

This is made even easier by setting up another TextExpander expansion that types 8 spaces and a dash automatically for the beginning of a note when you type tttn (as above, I use ttn for single note indent, or 4 spaces and a dash).

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
JEL

Glad to have found this chain of discussion which mentions pasting in outline form a list of urls; however, when you copy a list from the Internet or Word of web sites, usually the names of the sites are in a list with the hyperlink imbedded (not listed underneath).  That said, does anyone know how to paste such a list into PB and have the name appear as a thought with the url attached?  If not, does anyone know of a quick way to copy such a list into Word or Excel and extract the urls, thus allowing me to make the necessary PB outline format required for PB to then accept the list and make the requisite thoughts (as descibed in zenrain's July 2007 post)?  Thanks in advance!!!!

Julian2008
Quote:
does anyone know of a quick way to copy such a list into Word or Excel and extract the urls,

Give this Firefox Addon a try: https://addons.mozilla.org/af/firefox/addon/4292/.
It's called QuoteURL Text and allows you to define where (and how) to put title, date and url into the Text to be pasted (see screenshot). I use it more or less in the way zenrain described in this thread.

Julian
Click image for larger version - Name: quoteurl.jpg, Views: 282, Size: 39.98 KB
zenrain
Great tip, thanks Julian!
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software