ChrisCase
Is there a way to select thoughts from brain, save them,and copy them to another brain in such a way that identical thoughts overwrite the versions already there, while not deleting the structure of connections in the target database?

zenrain
No, and I believe this is a bug. I believe the thoughts share the same GUID, so they should overwrite the existing thoughts. 
I think that was the default behavior pre 6.x (and perhaps in some of the first 6.x releases) but the functionality changed somewhere.

Being able to do this is particularly useful for doing mass find/replace for thought names or notes.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
ChrisCase
I would like to be to have several brains, each concerning a particular field and perhaps edited by different people, which are being periodically added to a larger brain, in which their thoughts are then interconnected with relevant thoughts in the larger plex.  So I would like to be able to paste the individual brains on top of the composite in such a way that they overwrite already imported thoughts without losing the new connections made in the interim, as well as adding the new thoughts.

Presumably the same GUID will apply to the thoughts every time they are pasted, so shouldn't it be possible to do this? I'm pretty sure it was possible in earlier versions; I remember getting messages that the thoughts I was pasting already exist and do I want to overwrite? Does my memory deceive me? Is there any workaround?
tonja
Hallo ChrisCase,

I checked it for PB6 and PB7:

Thought Detail the GUIID for the original thought
copy this thougt into an new PB
copy the same thougt a second time

All tree times I got the same GUIID:

C96D1493-8B6E-D67A-A74C-04A2AF9573C5

50B828F6-A896-D59F-C43C-6B61B2647481

I think the PB just keeps the GUI-ID's constant and the rest is just some text, which can be changed any time.

You look for some semantic merging between brains?
(PB1 GUIID1 Text1 Link1-2-3 and PB2 GUIID2 Text1, so that if you copy GUIDID2 into PB1 the system asks to update the GUIID's and keep the text? Result: PB1 GUIID1 Text1 Link 1-2-3  ???)

Greetings,

ChrisCase
Tonja, what I am trying to do is perhaps a bit different from what you describe.

I am gradually putting my music collection online, and the best way I have found to generate an accurate brain of the changing archives is to use PB3 to spider the files on my server, then convert the PB3 brain to PB6 format.  I'd like to be able to use the results to overwrite the catalogue in the existing PB6 brain,  wherein the existing entries are linked to lots of other thoughts which are not links to the archive's files.

I suppose that this process produces different GUIDs every time I convert the updated PB3 brain toPB6, so perhaps it is not possible to do what I want.
tonja
Hello ChrisCase,

has PB3 also the Detail-Function for some thought?

If so you can check the GUIID before in PB3 and after the conversion is the GUIID the same?

Greetings,
ChrisCase
I don't find any Detail function in PB3, no.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software