Adathome
I notice the follow difference between 4.2 and 4.1, PB 4.2.0.7 installed on a USB stick is much slower then PB 4.1.3.2
For my USB stick i have downgraded to PB 4.1.3.2 for a better performance. 
Regards, Ad Divide knowledge = multiply knowledge (Windows 10 -  TB8 / TB9)
macfunrjw
I am also running with a USB drive,  I downloaded the latest Bata last night and am noticing the same problem.  the response is very slow with long lag times from the time I click on a thought and it activating.
I hope this is going to be fixed.  it was not a big issue on 4.1 version.

I have the PC version of the software on the USB drive and am running the Mac version from my MacBook.   the slowness in on both computers.

Help...  

Thanks

Is there a way to lock a thought to keep it from being forgotten or changed by mistake.   This would be a good feature

Macfunrjw
Harlan
Hmm... This problem can probably not be solved. 4.2 is slower when running from USB because it is more reliant on the storage media. This is what makes it start up and close faster, less memory intensive, more reliable. Unfortunately, this is going to be one of the trade offs. If you really have to run off of a USB, there are few options:

1. Get a HD based USB drive.
2. Get a really fast flash based USB drive (Try this: SanDisk Extreme Ducati Edition)
3. Stick with 4.1 for the time being.

In the future, the need for a USB based Brain will be overtaken by other technologies .
Regards,
-Harlan
Darkstar
The issue is the write back, isn't it? Reading from USB flash should be relatively fast, from a human perspective. But writing back would cause a delay that a human could notice, yes?

I suppose PB 4.2 would have to be designed to cache in memory its basic writes if running on flash media, and update the flash when idle, whenever possible.

I wonder what technology will replace user need for PB from a thumbdrive? thebrain hosted (and secured/scrambled) brains so you only need a web browser and an internet connection?
-Darkstar
westbroek
Sounds interesting, Harlan. I'm so happy I've chosen for the brain.

Meanwhile, maybe moving brainzip's around is an option?

Also, if in options you uncheck Draw Links, you should notice a faster feeling response.

macfunrjw
Thanks for the quick response,  I have been very busy in the new brain and am not sure how I would go back at this time.   How would I revert back to 4.1 if I needed to.
Can I do that with out going back to my back ups??

the new technology sounds very interesting.   I do miss the speed.  its is important to be able to move quickly between thoughts to keep the momentum going.

Thanks again  for a great product
Macfunrjw
Harlan
Unfortunately the only way to go back to 4.1 is to use a backup prior to conversion to 4.2.

As westbroek suggested, the other possibility is to use BrainZip as an intermediate so that your Brain is expanded out onto your main drive during use.

Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software