oquattro
I am running Personal Brain version 5.0.2.6 on a G4 Macintosh system under OS X 10.4.11 with J-1.5.0_16 as the Java version. This is the free version of PB.

Since upgrading to .2.6 (from .2.4) it appears that when I have PB open, all my network applications report a DNS failure networking error. For instance, using a web browser such as Firefox or iCab produces a time-out on looking up the requested URL. All networking applications fail, from e-Mail clients to Google Earth, as well as specialized industrial applications.

Exiting from PB has all the networking applications back in action as soon as PB has left the building.

This particular system has only wireless access to a WAP on the local area network, I can't test wired access until I change physical locations later today, but I don't see that as particularly likely to be the problem area.

OrlandoQ
Moe
This should not be happening as PersonalBrain does not modify any type of network settings on a users machine.  I'm wondering if a reboot would remedy this.  If not you can report back.

Best regards,
Moe

oquattro
Moe,

I'm sorry to have potentially wasted your time on this one.

The sequence is perfectly repeatable for the system on which I have PB5 installed (a Mac PowerBook). However, following your response I undertook some more extended testing and discovered that PB is not the only application that produces this "stuck DNS" effect. This strongly suggests that the common point of failure is something to do with my Mac OS rather than something to do with a specific application.

Yesterday, when I was hit with this immediately after upgrading my version of PB 5, and when the effect was reproducible by starting PB 5, I drew an immediate conclusion that resulted in my post. Thank you for answering, and for forcing me to look elsewhere for my (larger) problem.

My apologies for raising this false alarm, and thanks for your quick response.

OrlandoQ
Moe
No prob, I hope you can find what is causing the DNS failure .

Best regards,
Moe

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software