fLZogu2d
Hi everyone,

I'm very impressed with PB 5. It's just what I've been looking for to get organized at work.

Here's my problem though, and I think it's unique to the forums (I've searched pretty extensively and haven't found a fix for this particular issue).

I'd like to run PB 5 on a USB thumb-drive so I can move between my home machine and my office machine. This is not a problem at home where I have full admin access to my machine running Win XP (with all latest patches and the like). I have no problems running PB 5 at home from my USB thumb-drive.

However at work, I do not have admin access to my machine which also runs Win XP (with all patches and updates). The Sys Admin guys are picky, so my machine does not have Java installed and no one in the office is ever going to get it because it freaks out the Sys Admins.

I'd like to install Java JRE to my thumb-drive and tell PB 5 to use the JRE on the thumb-drive installation.

I figured out how to install Java JRE on a thumb-drive here: http://www.pendriveapps.com/portable-java-run-java-from-a-flashdrive/

This works just fine.

However, when I launch PB 5 from my thumb-drive, I get the following error:

"No JVM could be found on your system.
Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME
to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from http://www.java.com."

I searched in the forums here for this error message but didn't find anything that looked like it would help me.

Anyone have any suggestions on next steps I could try?

How do I tell PB 5 where to find the JRE? Is there a command line parameter I can use when launching PB 5 to give it the info? Something else I can do to help it find the JRE on my thumb-drive?

If I can get this to work, I'm buying PB 5.

If not, it's pretty much a show-stopper for me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Best,

- Brett

fLZogu2d
I think I figured out how to do this.

I uninstalled PB 5 and all Java JRE stuff from my home computer and USB thumbdrive.

I installed Java JRE and used the change directory option at the very first installation screen. I pointed the install to the root of my USB thumbdrive.

I installed PB 5 to the PortableApps directory of my USB thumbdrive. During the install it told me I didn't have a JRE and asked me to point it to one. I pointed the PB 5 install to the JRE on the thumbdrive.

That seemed to do the trick. I can run PB 5 from my USB thumbdrive on my home computer.

Tomorrow I'll test it at work and see if it passes muster there.

shinyplastic
I haven't tried it, but what about setting up a small .bat file to define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME.

Then all you would have to do is run the .bat file prior to PB and it might work?

Cheers.
fLZogu2d
Hi shinyplastic,

Thanks for your suggestion. I haven't been able to figure out the syntax for defining the EXE4J_JAVA_HOME variable in a .bat file. It's a good thought though and it just might work.

My test at work failed, but I did figure out how to make it work.

I grabbed the JRE folder from the JDK installation and copied it into the PersonBrain program folder. Boom, that seemed to do it.

Guess PersonalBrain could find the JRE there in its own folder. Once it knew where to look, it worked fine.

Performance on a USB thumbdrive kinda sucks, but working is working, right.

I'm a believer. Love PersonalBrain.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software