lockpb
Hi Folks,

I am newbie to this post.

I was very excited at first to find out PB 5 search is now integrated with Spotlight.

Now , I am very disappointed , simply because the PB search result does not return all (if not none) of the items which I know are in iCal or the Address app.

Meaning I cannot trust PB to be my one stop interface for managing my data and affairs.

Do you folks have the same experience , or suggestions?

Thnx

Moe
Hi lockpb, Thanks for the post. I tested searching for iCal events and this feature seems to be working correctly in 5.0.2.4.  For your address book entry did you save it before searching?  If not after creating your entry save it then try searching.

Best regards,
Moe

lockpb
Hi ,

Thanx for the quick reply, I  have some further observations.
I know in my Mac address book - the keyword "xyz" search will return 3 results

When I do the same search in PB. on the top of the PB search result page, it will say "Result 1 to 3 of 3" which is true.
but the problem is, it will not display the address icon and the detail result, basically the rest of the page is blank.

Same observation goes with iCal,  but in some cases , some iCal result will show up in PB, but some wont. For example , on the top of the PB search result page, it will say "Result 1to 4 of 4" , but the result page will only display one result.

I wonder if it is my Mac OS screwing up , but the think is when I do the search in Spotlight, all the result returns and display correctly.

Thanks

I am currently using PB Pro 5.0.2.4 with Java 1.6.0.7 .

Moe
Hi lockpb, I am wondering if an update of your Java version will help correct this.  Can you try updating your Java version and see if you still experience the same result.  You can reference this thread http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2744153 on how to update Java on your Mac.

Best regards,
Moe
lockpb
Hi Moe,

I ve tried everything, un/reinstall PB , for spotlight to reindex ,set Java to version 6 .still  the same.

I mean the thing is PB is returning some of the result in iCal; all of the result count in Address [but not showing the actually icon /result in PB ]

Anyway, I will try to  move my PB to Linux. reindex my brains in Linux. reinstall PB on Mac, then reimport my brains from Linux and see why happens.

Best Regards

agnor
lockpb wrote:
Hi Moe,

I ve tried everything, un/reinstall PB , for spotlight to reindex ,set Java to version 6 .still  the same.

I mean the thing is PB is returning some of the result in iCal; all of the result count in Address [but not showing the actually icon /result in PB ]

Anyway, I will try to  move my PB to Linux. reindex my brains in Linux. reinstall PB on Mac, then reimport my brains from Linux and see why happens.

Best Regards

Hi lockpb,

Wanted to chime in that the indexing doesn't travel along with a brainzip.  When you have PB unpack a brainzip, it will then prompt that the index is incomplete and will ask you if you'd like to reindex it.  So the move to linux and building the index there won't transfer over into OSX.
agnor
I just realized that I see this issue, as well.  I will be back tonight to post more details (have to run at the moment).
Moe
lockpb, Can you post a screenshot or better yet send a screenshot of the results you are receiving to support@thebrain.com and we can take a closer look on. You can reference this post in your email.

Best regards,
Moe
agnor
Sorry it took me so long to get back with some details.

The problem that I see is that PB isn't finding an entry in my Address book.  As Moe mentioned earlier in the thread, my entry is definitely saved first (and is not a brand-new entry).

I captured a video of the issue, as well, in case this helps.  Note that it's a bit longer than need be because I intend to use this video to bring up another issue, as well (for which I will begin a new thread).

In the video, I use the search to search for "kirk", show that no Address Book entry is found, and then will bring in the Address Book window to show that the Address Book entry is actually there.

http://edgeoflate.com/pb/Missing-Address-Grey-Windows.swf

(flash video, 1.2 MB streamed)

I've also attached my log file.

Moe
Hi agnor, Thank you for the video.  I have notified our engineers regarding this.

Best regards,
Moe

Moe
agnor, At the current time you can find the Address Book entry you were looking for by searching for "kirkland".  Our engineers are looking how to make partial searches such as "kirk" available in future Mac versions of PersonalBrain.

Best regards,
Moe

agnor
Good to know.  Thanks for following up.
beru
just wanted to state that I have this problem with iCal. searching does not return all results.
Moe
beru, Thanks for the post. This feature should be working correctly . Exactly what are you searching for which you can not find? Also, could it be that it is returning correct results but you may have to click to load the next page of results.

Best regards,
Moe

beru
hello

I totally agree that this should be working and actually, the suggestion with the result pages is very valid, as the user interface does not lend itself to give a good overview.

I think the issue could be the listing of the results.

Since PB unfortunately does not support any timeline functionality (this calender thingy is not useful at all) I tried to select iCal events.

However, the search cannot be configured to return events from a defined time period (as far as I could see, just downloaded PB), so one gets a zillion results and when they got entered simultaneously into iCal (via import of a calender or as Bento results) there is no way to find several events from a period of interest within the results. I waded through them and several years were "missing" but maybe they sit somewhere else within the 82 result pages, not in the order of their chronological occurrence.

Bummer.

When will PB support time? For timelines e.g.?

Did you know that time actually is a very important information for real brains?

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software