beyers
I had a problem when trying to open one of my brains (hosted on Dropbox), just after upgrading from 5.5 to 6. The three error messages, in sequence were:
-------------------
There was an error while opening this Brain. The error was:
Database /home/username/Dropbox/InfoSecBrain_brain/brain_db/brain not found [90013-78].
Data will now be recovered from the continuous backup service.
-------------------
Recovery from error opening this brain failed.
No automatic backup file could be found.
--------------------
PersonalBrain 6.0 could not create or connect to this Brain.
Database /home/usernae/Dropbox/InfoSecBrain_brain/brain_db/brain not found [90013-78]
---------------------

As soon as I realised what was happening, I yanked out the network cable, to stop any corruptions from syncing to Dropbox, but it appears I was too late. When trying to open the brain on my other box, running 5.5, I get the same errors.

A quick scan reveals that the brain directory in question contains some 500-odd files, with total size of about 200MB, so there appears to be data there.

Any idea how to start the recovery process, if any?

zenrain
Your best bet is to just restore your last backup to a new non-dropbox location and upgrade. Then delete everything on Dropbox and move the fresh database back into dropbox in a new folder and delete the old one (to make sure there aren't any incompatibilities).

However, if you aren't running a backup (and if you are using this method, you should be doing it daily) your only option is to log onto the Dropbox website and manually go through each folder and restore files to their previous version.

I stopped using Dropbox to sync PB after upgrading to 6.0. If you use PB daily and have two computers, at this point the WebBrain sync feature is worth the $7 ish a month just for that feature. It doesn't require you to go through the Dropbox workflow (making sure PB is closed on one machine and DB is synchronized before opening another) and is supported by folks at TheBrain, so if your brain gets corrupted you have the recourse of PersonalBrain support.

Good luck!
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
beyers
Thanks zenrain,
tried your suggestion, but to no avail. I went through the arduous task of restoring the files to the previous version on DropBox as well, but like an idiot opened it in PB 6.0 again, which promptly corrupted the lot again.

Stunning lesson in maintaining backups though. Especially before upgrading software.

zenrain
Ugh, ouch. Sorry to hear that.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software