mbaas Show full post »
jostber
Hi, Steeph. Do you use the comma trick to name the thoughts below the dates?

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Steeph
jostber wrote:

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
It really depends the topic and the train of thoughts that's running in my head. Something I read can trigger me into adding 10, 20 or 30 thoughts at a time so then I use the comma-trick if all would be children. But a thought/event as in the screenshot usually comes on at a time, so then no.

I wonder, what's the reason you want to know? What triggered that question?
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
jostber
Steeph wrote:
jostber wrote:

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
It really depends the topic and the train of thoughts that's running in my head. Something I read can trigger me into adding 10, 20 or 30 thoughts at a time so then I use the comma-trick if all would be children. But a thought/event as in the screenshot usually comes on at a time, so then no.

I wonder, what's the reason you want to know? What triggered that question?

This was a bit related to the timeline discussion that has been going on. The question of how to find a way to give the dimension of time to a thought. I have been using the comma trick to connect a date to a thought in my work brain, but I suppose there could be other ways too:

- Using a Tag for date
- Using date information in Notes
- Using date information in Label
- Using the Calendar
- Using a date thought as a jump

Any more?

The timeline dimension is important for work related activities, and especially deadlines and deliveries.

bfisher
I started playing with this - and I like it

My (minor) tweaks:
- I added a day letter after the date so I can quickly see when I'm planning (so I have 2009-02-27 F)
- I pin today and tomorrow to the top.  This way stuff I want to move to tomorrow is easy to change, plus it's real easy to find either date.

Thanks for the idea - so far I like it!

Steeph
jostber wrote:
This was a bit related to the timeline discussion that has been going on. The question of how to find a way to give the dimension of time to a thought. I have been using the comma trick to connect a date to a thought in my work brain, but I suppose there could be other ways too:

Oh, stupid me, you said comma-trick but in my mind this got jumbled to up to semicolon-trick. Forget my previous post.

But no, I don't use the comma-trick here. I more or less work the other way around I guess. First I go to the area where a new thought belongs, create it and then create a parent(link) to the day. Also, the trick would clutter up the plex with useless info for me. If I want to know the date of a thought I simply navigate to it. I don't use this timeline system as device to track chronological relations between thought (yet), it's just a reference for now.
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
jostber
I agree regarding the clutter in the plex when using the comma trick, so I have been moving away from using that now. I just enter the date in front of the thought instead.
bfisher
I don't enter the date with the thought - my thoughts change dates pretty frequently

I just enter the thought whereever I am, then drag it to the right date (or make a new one if it doesn't exist yet).

Darkstar

For thoughts that have "Dates" that I need to track, I just use a parent thought that is the Date.

-Darkstar
pbmember

What did you guys open punkmonksf's calendar file with. My Macbook's telling me I've got nothing to open it with. Ahhh...that can't be right.

MAC User
Darkstar
punkmonksf's file is simply a zip file. Anything that will open a zip file should work for you. You will need some program for your Mac that can handle zip files. For instance, at http://www.7-zip.org/download.html, you will find a version of 7-zip, an open source program that can handle zip files as well as other compression formats, to download for your Mac.

Inside the zip file is a solitary .brn file. Your current PersonalBrain should be able to open that file, but will warn you it has to convert it to the current format PB is using.
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software