farzad
PB stops working and hangs after starting

reports/special/Orphan Thoughts or Parentless Thoughts

I don't encounter any problem with other types of special reports.

Farzad

PB v 5.5.1.9 on Windows Vista, J-1.6.0_16

Dryopithecus
Same here. Hope this could be fixed soon. I have a lot of orphan thoughts (a few thousands I guess ).

http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3689494

dyslucksia
I just tried this out on 2 of my Brains on Windows XP, each with plenty of orphan and parentless thoughts, and had no hangups. Sometimes I saw a little hourglass as PB may do a fresh search each time, but the time delay was acceptably short. Maybe it's OS-related.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
farzad
Hi All,

PB's orphan / parentless reporting seems indeed working for a smaller brain (no offense ;-) but not for a large one! It still hangs for a large brain. 

Farzad

PB v 5.5.1.9 on Windows Vista, J-1.6.0_16

NorthFarm

This is an old issue. Orphan thoughts and Parentless thoughts reports requires PB to run through every thought in the database. Sadly there is no index available for the program to look into. In my brain these reports take around 30 - 45 minutes to complete. I have approximately 30K thoughts. I have previously suggested that it should be possible to cancel the report instead of having to force PB down if you don't have the time to see it complete.

Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 11.0.95.0 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_211
Darkstar
This is incredibly hard to believe. PB is a database program... it should be able to quickly report that nodes X, Y, and Z do not have a parent relationships. Humm... I suppose the easiest way to do that is to maintain a "parentless node" column, and whenever a thought is created or updated in the DB, do a quick check to see if it changed its "HasParent" status. If that wasn't modified to begin with, no work to do. If it has (ie, it gained a parent, or was unlinked from one), then update the thought data accordingly. Just a few more cycles of work at database write time to be able to generate a "Select * from thoughts where HasParent = 0" with a very short select time.

Without this capability, PB doesn't really "scale" to large sizes in its basic functionality (well, not reporting, anyways).

Humm... the only thing that my above suggestion would have any difficulty on is "forgotten" thoughts--- as a thought that is the sole parent to a though could be in the forgotten state, and therefore change it from being an orphan or not. But if you checked for that in the first place (when the thought was forgotten), then you'd just update its children to the proper value and be done with it. When a thought comes out of forgotten state, again, you'd check for what it changes.
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software