BrentK Show full post »
D
Thanks for various contributions to the discussion!

There are two concerns in this thread: memory usage and interface pause.
We have done a multi-day performance testing on a Brain with size of several gigabytes; here are some findings:

bad news:
. while visiting Thoughts having large notes (>100KB), memory usage rises up quickly and does not return to earlier lower level; (this would possibly cause operating system to swap memory)
. notes editor gets 2~10 time slower in terms of showing notes after frequently visiting Thoughts having large notes;
. during the period when notes editor is preparing to show notes, PB's interface is frozen; this can be up to 7 seconds for 150KB;

good news:
. small notes do not increase memory consumption along with time of use;
. memory usage increases up to the allowed limit and stays there; PB will not consume up all memory neither would it crash;
. notes editor is still fast responding to small notes (<15KB) after two days of testing;
. unpleasant delays caused by notes editor won't accumulate to freeze PB in a later time; once the notes are shown, the dragging effect they brought to the user interface is gone. (As zenrain suspected, this could be an os-related issue; however, our log cannot support us to analyze such situations.)
. it is easy to identify whether a note is too big for you: click a Thought which is not the current active one, and see how soon its note appears. If the delay is unacceptable, move the content into an internal attachment but only leave a brief outline/abstract in the notes editor.
Pure text of 15KB with light format has 2K+ words and fills 6 pages in Office Word, which is large for instant notes—the original design purpose of them.

Thanks!
D

Shiiko
Hi!

Another teeth grinding episode of PB not opening right.  Thought perhaps it due to the Java version which is now 6.0_23 but I see people here with 0_24.  Has anyone had problems opening with 0_23?

Another possibility is the large attachment issue that is shown in this post.  Can anyone please tell me how I can determine what Notes are larger than 100kb?  I have been able to create a report of all Thoughts that have Notes (3, 654) but I don't see how to sort by Note size (I would suggest to the developers that this be added ).   Then I have to figure the Note > Doc trick.

Thanks!

D
Hi Shiiko,
As far as I am aware, nobody is talking about large attachments in this thread.
And, depending on your computer's capability, there is no one single definition of too-large notes and how to identify them has been given in my last post.
If you don't visit a Thought, its notes won't be loaded; thereafter you don't have to convert all your notes into internal attachments at once. Even though you have 3,000 Thoughts, you won't visit too many of them in one session, right? So, this problem is not really related to how big your whole Brain is; instead, it is only related to visiting Thoughts with large notes. That is how my last post came out.
Sincerely,
D

Shiiko
You're right D, I mis-wrote, not attachments but notes.

As to finding out large notes, I was looking more along the lines of a report and not just a drop in performance as an indicator.

So the rule of thumb, when there is a drop in performance on a Thought with a Note, is to look at Tools > Word Count and make sure that the text is less than 2,000 words (give or take depending on the performance of the individual computer). 

PaddyVA
Shiiko wrote:
Hi!

Another teeth grinding episode of PB not opening right.  

Humm -- wondering what exactly your trouble was, because I just had two events opening PB 5.5.2.5 where it froze my Vista PC, and had to force reboot both times.  I haven't used PB for a month or two, but almost always PB has been stable and mostly trouble free, never a complete lockup like this.  Strangely, when I launch PB, I note that the icons on my desktop flash, blank out, then return, the PB slowly opens, then locks up.  The first time, it minimized to the floating icon, then when I clicked on the PB icon, it opened, then froze.  

I'm going to try reinstalling PB, then try again, and if that doesn't work, will be off to ask Support for help.

p.s.  I'm reinstalling PB 5.5.2.5 for the last hour or so -- very strange, never seen it take so long -- I have  1GB free memory and CPU only running 7 -- 19%.  Updates usually finish in a few minutes at most. I stopped virus checkers, shut down Outlook, before starting.  Usually updates in just a few minutes.  Vista SP2, Java  6.0.260.3

Pat
D
Hi PaddyVA,
It looks like you have an operating system-related problem, in addition to possible PB problems.
The following may be tricky to understand:
1. starting PersonalBrain is different from using PersonalBrain
--(I assume you use a Windows computer) when you start PB, Windows will run PersonalBrain.exe which is a Windows executable file; PersonalBrain.exe will start a Java execution environment which in turn will load PersonalBrain.jar to run. After all these steps, you will use PB. If Java PB starts but hangs, you will see a new output.log, with which we can tell when PB hangs.
2. installing PB is different from starting/using PB
--installer will copy files to your hard disk and register information in your operating system; PersonalBrain.exe is not executed, neither Java files.
3. a frozen PB won't freeze the operating system
--Java programs run on top of Java "virtual" machines (JVM), which are isolated from the physical computer which you are using. And even if the JVM you were using had gone wrong, your Vista still should not be frozen, because a JVM is just a normal application for the operating system and has no privilege to crash the whole system.  Put it in another way, it is quite a challenge for a normal program--not only Java programs, to break down Vista.

Mostly, weird operating system problems come from viruses, hardware failures, or incompatible drivers.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
D
bookeater
Hello D
I noticed this problem with rich formatted (and big) notes quite long ago in PB5 (and here too). Is there any chance for any fixes for this issue? I try to avoid heavily formatted txt for some time but I have couple of thousands notes which had been created  before I was aware of this issue and like many of PB users I don't have enough time to amend them all.

Regards
Jan
D
Hi bookeater,
Are you still experiencing the same problem in PB 5, or you have switched to PB 6?
The notes editor producer has just released a new version that controls memory usage more efficiently. We will integrate it in a future version after testing.
In any case, if you find that a problem is related to a specific Brain, you may send it to us for internal dissection.
Sincerely,
D
bookeater
Quote:
Are you still experiencing the same problem in PB 5, or you have switched to PB 6?
Hello D
Thank you for prompt reply. Yes I upgraded to PB6 in hope that the short memory issue was only associated with PB5. I was quite surprised when issue reoccurred again after the upgrade. I managed to tamper this problem to be more manageable by pimping internal memory up to 500mb by using Matt Caton guide. Once PB reaches memory  limit I switch it off and on again. Before that with default internal memory I had to restart application approximately every 20min.

Regards
Jan
Moe
Hi Jan, As per D's offer to check out your Brain, I have sent you an email from support with instructions on how to send us your Brain.

Thanks,
Moe

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software